cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sofa bed removal from slide out. Ran into an issue

jch2122
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance for any assistance. I have a 2010 Coachman Freedom Express travel trailer. It has 2 slide outs, one being the sofa bed/sink/stove. I'm really wanting to remove the sofa bed and get a recliner in that area instead. My issue is that it doesn't connect to the floor, it connects to a long wooden "base" that sits above the floor and seems to extend from one end of the slide to the other. The sofa connects directly to the top of it, but it continues to run under the sink and cabinets. If I were to remove the sofa, it would continue to be in the way of putting in a recliner, so I would need to remove this too, but I'm not sure how. I can't remove the whole thing, as it seems to be necessary for supporting the shelves under the sink. I'm wonder if there is a good way to do this. my first thought was to cut it flush with the side of the sink where it starts to run under it, and add a "leg" to support this end of it. As you can probably tell I'm not terribly familiar with the process, so I'm just looking for some suggestions.
7 REPLIES 7

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The piece may be a support for the slide.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Maybe post a picture as this is different from the slides I'm familiar with.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have the same situation under my sofa/bed.
Please take some measurements of the height of the slide, do this outside. Then measure from the inside ceiling of the slide to the "board the sofa/bed sits on". If the distances are about the same (+- an inch or so) then that board is the bottom of you slid. And you cannot change it.
So like me you're out of luck with a recliner.

jch2122
Explorer
Explorer
jch2122 wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
I don't know about your specific model, but that "base" could be used as a chase for water, electric, gas, etc. lines. Removing it may just expose what is under it making it just as difficult to put the recliner. I would check under the "base" before removing it.

If the "base" is hiding lines, would it be possible to extend the base to the end of the slide and sit the recliner on it?

-Michael

I think I explained it incorrectly. It's not a base that hides anything. It's basically a 2 inch think, 30 inch wide piece of wood that is about a foot off the floor that the sofa is attached to. There is store space underneath it, but nothing important. The board extends from one end of the slide to the other. It acts as a mount/base for the sofa, but it extends in one long piece under the sink and also acts as the shelves in the cabinet under the sink.

Upon looking further, it seems to be attached in its entirety to the slide of the camper, and acts as a support for everything in the slide. The sofa/sink/stove, everything. They all basically sit on this long piece of wood and when the slide moves, they move.

jch2122
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
I don't know about your specific model, but that "base" could be used as a chase for water, electric, gas, etc. lines. Removing it may just expose what is under it making it just as difficult to put the recliner. I would check under the "base" before removing it.

If the "base" is hiding lines, would it be possible to extend the base to the end of the slide and sit the recliner on it?

-Michael

I think I explained it incorrectly. It's not a base that hides anything. It's basically a 2 inch think, 30 inch wide piece of wood that is about a foot off the floor that the sofa is attached to. There is store space underneath it, but nothing important. The board extends from one end of the slide to the other. It acts as a mount/base for the sofa, but it extends in one long piece under the sink and also acts as the shelves in the cabinet under the sink.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Seek a second opinion, in person w/trailer. This might be in the skill set of a mobile RV tech and may not. Never hurts to call and ask.

There is not much I have not worked on but I am finding it difficult to envision the part about the support for cabinet shelves and the sofa being in the same space.

Good luck with your rearrangement.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)