cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrids must be hibernating

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
As it cools off, it seems like this subforum quiets down. Must be a lot of hybrids are going into hibernation. I know mine is.
20 REPLIES 20

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Not hibernating just waiting for Jan, then I will go we don't have to winterize here in So Cal but it does get cold and I have to finish setting my trailer up for the colder weather with the insulation for the tent ends. Since I have air mattress I put down a movers blanket then the air mattress then another movers blanket and then sheets and blankets. With the reflective insulation it helps to keep the cold out at night and I got a buddy heater too. Then in Jan its time to head to the coast line when there are more spaces opened up.

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
And so my hybrid was winterized and taken to it's deep sleep in my BIL's outbuilding for it's hibernation.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I tried talking DW into 1 last trip 2 weeks ago, said no ----- way! Ended up closing it down and winterizing it.

Next camping trip planned, 4-18 :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:

Living in Maine, we camp only part of the year......but one thing we have and you don't is the anticipation, and then the excitement.
Our hybrid is parked in front of the house, and we look at it during the winter months with anticipation.
When spring arrives,the first thing we look forward to is to remove the cover from it, and go inside. Then it's opening the tent ends and the slide out, and start dreaming of our summer trips.
Folks in the cold and snowy states know what I'm talking about!

Dre

Oh, yes! There's nothing like it! We have four distinct seasons here in Maryland and I wouldn't have it any other way.

All winter, it sits in the driveway, full of the promise of new adventures. De-winterizing my camper holds its own special kind of joy.
BabaMartha

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I feel sorry for those of you who can RV only part of the year! Here in AZ we RV year round. Cool mountains in the summer, warm deserts in the winter.

We have a 5th wheel now, but used our Hybrid for over 10 years. Quite often camped with lows in the 30's without issue. Clipped on tent covers (popop gizmos) which helped to hold heat in considerably.

Living in Maine, we camp only part of the year......but one thing we have and you don't is the anticipation, and then the excitement.
Our hybrid is parked in front of the house, and we look at it during the winter months with anticipation.
When spring arrives,the first thing we look forward to is to remove the cover from it, and go inside. Then it's opening the tent ends and the slide out, and start dreaming of our summer trips.
Folks in the cold and snowy states know what I'm talking about!

Dre

Forellan
Explorer
Explorer
Living in SoCal we can go year round as well. Just returned from a trip to the eastern sierras for a little fall fishing and fall color. Temps dropped to 17 one night and 14 the next. Only issue that we had was the outside shower froze and cracked.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I feel sorry for those of you who can RV only part of the year! Here in AZ we RV year round. Cool mountains in the summer, warm deserts in the winter.

We have a 5th wheel now, but used our Hybrid for over 10 years. Quite often camped with lows in the 30's without issue. Clipped on tent covers (popop gizmos) which helped to hold heat in considerably.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
gheicher wrote:
Just winterized mine. The hot water tank drain plug is plastic and a pain to get at, so I purchased a small stainless steel ball valve from Ebay to replace the plastic plug. I like to drain the hot water tank after use to keep the water from getting stinky just sitting around. Now all I have to do is just flip a valve to drain.

Nice though for me to drain the HW tank is to remove the anode.

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
We were out last weekend. Some of the best camping is after Labor Day & before Christmas in our opinion. We are never cold in the hybrid. Feels like home as long as we have no noisey neighbors that is

I agree. We've camped in ours when it's been in the 20's at night and the heater kept it just fine inside. Even a little ceramic electric heater works pretty well. Both these options I need electricity as my furnace blower can suck battery juice quickly and I've found without nearly fully charged batteries, the furnace will not fire.

Cool weather makes one really appreciate a good campfire.

And alot less people!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
We were out last weekend. Some of the best camping is after Labor Day & before Christmas in our opinion. We are never cold in the hybrid. Feels like home as long as we have no noisey neighbors that is

I agree !

If you are doing early/late camping, buy a heated mattress pad. Much better than an electric blanket !

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
Ralphie Boy... Is that the Roo 24 WS?

23WS.......2017.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Ralphie Boy... Is that the Roo 24 WS?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not hibernated yet but it did go down to 33 last night.....and spit a little snow.....
Toasty though with the heated mattress and one electric heater. Central PA mountains.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
gheicher wrote:
Just winterized mine. The hot water tank drain plug is plastic and a pain to get at, so I purchased a small stainless steel ball valve from Ebay to replace the plastic plug. I like to drain the hot water tank after use to keep the water from getting stinky just sitting around. Now all I have to do is just flip a valve to drain.

I'm going to take some measurements to see if this will work for me, too. My plug seems to be nylon and is a very hard-to-get-to place.

Thanks for the suggestion!
BabaMartha