cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.7 l Mercedes diesel engine

ennaid
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby and i were considering buying a dodge class b with the 2.7 l engine. I would like to hear peoples opinions on this engine, is it reliable, is it good on hills, is it expensive to repair? Should we buy one. We can't afford to buy the newer ones with the 3 litre. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you...Dianne...
I noticed there ix a 2.9 also? I guess the would be better???
6 REPLIES 6

Sebtown
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my 2006 2.7 Sprinter with 32k miles. I now have 70k miles. Other than normal service I have replaced the turbo resonator with the aluminum alternative and replaced one o2 sensor. The 5 cycle engine is not burdened with a lot of smog equipment and if maintained properly seemingly last for many hundreds of thousands of miles. I plan to keep mine for many miles to come.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mine only has 40k on it the only thing that has failed was the filter on the turbo ,it was plastic ,bought a steel one ,no other problems. tranny shifts just fine.if its a used rv your looking at ,I,d be checking how old the tires are. and if everything works,

ennaid
Explorer
Explorer
They sound great. We had a 2001 Rialta. They are known for bad transmissions. Any issues woth the Mercedes? We have seen a nice Great West 2005 with 112000 km and are debating about it, love the windows, seems like you are always outside.
Thanks for the info.
Dianne from Canada eh

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
heck its just broke in, lol.

sprintee
Explorer
Explorer
We have 260,000 miles on our 2004 2500 Sportsmobile Sprinter. Recently we spent $1,000 to replace a leaking water pump. Other repairs are expensive too but infrequent. At age 80 we don't plan to put on 20,000 miles a year like we used to but we'll keep it and use it for a while longer.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have one ,its a great engine, lot of UPS trucks have them ,good mpg plenty of power back and forth from ohio to AZ no problems, and any diesel will be big bucks to fix. if you do a oil change at a mercedes benz dealer it,ll cost about $100. bucks ,learn to do your own about $60. if the rv has been taken care of it,ll run almost forever ,we like ours. its fun when people ask hows the mpg and you say OH just over twenty.