cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what we are looking for is even available, but it never hurts to try.

New or used
60K or less (preferably much less!)
Gas
30’ or less, preferably 25’to 28’
Walk around bed

We looked at the Freedom Elites - horribly made!
We are totally UN-mechanical, so need something very reliable.

Thanks in advance for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The reason you will have a very had time finding a walk-around bed in a short unit is that the rear overhang would be too long (making the wheelbase too short and the balance all wrong) to keep the wheel wells forward of the bed walk-around area. I would recommend checking carefully, including a good test drive (at highway speeds with some cross-winds and/or passing semi trucks), any relatively short unit you find with a walk-around bed. There's a greater than average chance that it may have characteristically poor handling. Although they are far less common, it is more practical to have two twin beds in a shorter RV (with a center aisle) and there are some layouts with that plan.

I know there are many reasons why people want shorter RVs. If the concern is that it is harder to drive a long RV than a short one, be aware that on the highway length makes next to no difference. It does make maneuvering in parking lots and tight camp sites harder, and incrementally limits the number of camp sites you can use in some campgrounds, and of course can be a big problem if your storage spot is not long enough. I guess all I'm suggesting that you not exclude longer motorhomes on general principle alone, absent some specific reason why you can't have one.

Hokie-Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Thor Chateau 26B which fits your size requirements at 27.5' in length, should be able to fit your price requirements as well, has a walk around bed (although a little tight on far side), couch and dinette. The couch was one of our wants.

dave
dave
2017 Thor Chateau 26B

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Looked around for about a year before I purchased my used 30' Fourwinds.
Don't recall seeing much with a walk around bed under 28, definitely none I can recall under 26'. I agree with tj, you're have to learn about maintenance and minor repairs. Unless you buy brand new, but after a few years, you'll have to learn it anyways.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Totally unmechanical and rv not a good combo in my opinion. I guess you can always hire things out but you need to be willing to learn quite a bit about maintenance. I applied myself and learned how to winterize myself. I learned to change generator oil. I wash my own rig. Not bragging, just “sayin...”. Went with Minnie Winnie. Ford E450 is manageable, I look for Ford dealers who work on motorhomes. (Many do not.) Class C seems more manageable than. 40’ diesel.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a private message
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Aadkins101 wrote:
Not sure what we are looking for is even available, but it never hurts to try.

New or used
60K or less (preferably much less!)
Gas
30’ or less, preferably 25’to 28’
Walk around bed

We looked at the Freedom Elites - horribly made!
We are totally UN-mechanical, so need something very reliable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aadkins, youve been in here enough to have seen the Thor and other brands bashed, sometimes for good cause. To look for a new to you unit, you may want to start making some road trips. Jayco makes a class c that fits your description but the price is above your stated target. The same can be said for Gulfstream and some others. If you are locked at that price point you will likely have to buy used, but visiting dealers to shop for new can be a timesaver. Find a dealer with some new units that fit the description of what you want and then when you have found a couple of makes and models that appear to have the right mix of size, quality, and amenities, search RVT or RV trader for 1 or 2 year old units at your price.
Enjoy the journey.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look for a 2005-on-up Winnebago Spirit Class C on the E450 Ford chassis.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C