cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one of these C's would you buy?

MrSimon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not dead set on either of these particular units, but I'd like to hear opinions on which one might be a better buy.

Both are prior rental units. The first is from a smallish local dealer in my town, the other is a standard CruiseAmerica unit. Both are priced the same at $29k

1) 2008 Thor Chateau 31', E450, V-10, One slide, TV, awning etc. 101k miles. Fully serviced, runs fine, everything works, full maint. history included.

2) 2013 CruiseAmerica 28A. E450, V-10, no slide, no TV, no awning. 130k miles. Fully refurbished, runs fine, everything works, full maint. history.

Basically, the trade off is .... the older coach is slightly larger, has less miles and has full amenities --- where the CA coach is rather spartan and has more miles but is five years newer.

What would you pick, and why?
35 REPLIES 35

Augydog
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2001 23U Class C from Cruise America 5 years ago Under 17,000.00 Needed some work got it with 98,000 miles on it put 50,000 more on it good service.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of small companies rent their units 2 years then turn them over, I bought a unit with 14,000 miles on it when we downsized. No problems, I looked at a new Chateau but liked the Winnebago better.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
If I am correct, Cruise America units are made by Thor also.

I believe you are correct. I did find one google answer that says Four Winds, but that is now owned by Thor. Don't know when they were bought though. But i know a lot of RV techs that would never buy a Thor product
Proud father of a US Marine

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of rental RV's just based on how they get treated. Watching people pull into campgrounds in Cruise America rigs is like "have a seat and watch the show" based on what gets done to the units by people who have no idea what they are doing. Me - I'd look on the use market and gout with cash in hand. I'd look at private sellers first and you'd be amazed at the bargains you can stumble into. Good luck.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
If I am correct, Cruise America units are made by Thor also.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Offer 20K for which ever one you want, then when the dealer counter offers then go up to 21 and hold your guns. Tell him it's the out the door price or they add a ton of fees. If you get either one I hope your good with a wrench. Your gonna need it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
You indicate these 2 but give no explanation on who will be using and how. Both could be good but its up to you to decide. We bought a 1 year old winnebago aspect in '13. got it used for about 30K less than a dealer wanted for the exact same one. 2 slides, weighs in about 12700 as we load light and DO NOT CARRY full water tank which many also do not unless they plan to go off the grid. full fuel and propane are all that is ever topped off so the weight issue can be a non issue. Neither of the 2 you look at as far as I know have lots of storage space thus again the limiting of extra weight. If just the 2 of you go with the one with slides as you will enjoy it more, if you dont want slides go with the other. yes you can exist without them but once committed you may wish you had them if you take the cruise one. Mileage on running gear is the only plus I really see. I have seen where some of these rentals go and I would be very hesitant to really pursue one. Some think they are 4x4's and since not theirs its OK.
But I have also found NEW on lot with issues from build quality and if you are willing to take chance on some repairs look for one of these which generally are price leaders on sales events.

As stated look at the approximate costs for tires, driveline fixes (trans fluid changes, brake fluid flush etc) things you would do to have piece of mind. But in reality get what suits you the best and you are the only one that knows what that would be.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I am not all that against, buying a rental, however these are my questions.
The battle cry of those that buy rentals, without fail, is they were well maintained. I get that, it is good, but what does it really mean? Did they maintain it like Air Force One, and replace every part on a schedule, to avoid risk of failure? I think not. They did the required factory maintenance and replaced what broke.

These are my concerns, more wear and tear more miles stuff is going to break, I do not care how well it was maintained, it will still break.

Second, lets talk dollars and cents, we bought ours almost 13 years ago with 5K miles, we are now at 70K, we plan to drive it, for another 15 years, had we bought a rental with say 130K we would now be at 200K. I know the V-10 is supposed to run a billon miles, but how about the rest on the running gear?

I for one, do not want to take something with 250K, 4K miles from home.. ( so, if we were to replace it now, what would be the cost? quite pricey, I would think, ex-rental with 200K, not worth much) Where as our current unit will run for many more years.

Again, not all that against folks buying rentals, but I would suggest they consider, how long they want to keep them, as opposed to the initial lower cost, and how that works out in the long run for them.

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, I would prefer the 2013. Newer vehicle usually have better technology, updated parts, and little bug fixes from previous years. Once you're over 100K, 30K doesn't make much difference to me. TV is an easy add. I have awning, but really don't use it much. Most rentals are abused, but not all of them. Just look it over for anything major. Has the tranny been serviced or replaced?

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
My general feeling is that each unit you showed has too many miles, I think there are many units out there, at least out West here with lower miles and a decent price. The used unit we bought a few years ago, though older 2003 only had 40,000 miles on it for $24,000. We prefer a slide as we set up near family when we travel for a week or two, so enjoy the extra breathing room. I upgraded to a newer flat screen 12 volt TV and it was easy to add.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I hesitated on a reply because I haven't really shopped for later model class C rigs but now that it is out there agree with the others that it is rather big $$$ for rentals with over 100K on them. If you shop I will bet that you will find low mile units from private sellers that may not be "detailed" but will have value where it counts.

Tires and and a good cleaning are well worth getting a 40K mile rig for thousands less.

Just my initial $.02 of course
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
Neither one. We went down that road looking for a clean rental rv, but after have these 100,000 mile units checked by a good mechanic, we passed. Why? At those miles, half the life is gone with many repairs/parts needed. We saw a Class C that was to be refurbished and it was beat to ****. People who rent do not treat them well. There are gems to be found and we found a older class c, 1999 Ford E350 with V10, in mint condition with 19000 miles, original owner, stored inside, from a non smoking, no pets, elderly couple. Paid $15,000 and spent another$2800 for new tires and new roof reseal. Runs and drives like new. Now is a very good time to buy with winter coming. Here in N CA, there are lots of very clean, low mile units, but they go fast! Oh, our gen had 40 hours on it and everything in the coach works perfectly. Good luck!
You inadvertently elaborated quite well on my point made earlier.

There are good stories of people owning former rentals, and I say "Good For Them". But I feel as you do. For that kind of money, you can get one better as you have for less money, or nicer for the same money. But doing so takes patience and determination. You also need to be in a position to buy it quickly. You need to be educated on "good" versus "bad", recognize that and pounce with cash in-hand.

Some people don't have what it takes to make a wise yet fast decision on such a big and risky purchase, so they pay more to get less, but have peace of mind about it.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Neither one. We went down that road looking for a clean rental rv, but after have these 100,000 mile units checked by a good mechanic, we passed. Why? At those miles, half the life is gone with many repairs/parts needed. We saw a Class C that was to be refurbished and it was beat to ****. People who rent do not treat them well. There are gems to be found and we found a older class c, 1999 Ford E350 with V10, in mint condition with 19000 miles, original owner, stored inside, from a non smoking, no pets, elderly couple. Paid $15,000 and spent another$2800 for new tires and new roof reseal. Runs and drives like new. Now is a very good time to buy with winter coming. Here in N CA, there are lots of very clean, low mile units, but they go fast! Oh, our gen had 40 hours on it and everything in the coach works perfectly. Good luck!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
If the 2008 is on a 2007 chassis that's a LOT of Points Off. The 2008 has many worthwhile improvements. Personally I like 28A's.
And a 2009 chassis is better than a 2008 because it has the current day dash board with improved 12V outlets (and outlet locations) and also a glove box.

2008 was the only model year with current-day chassis features but retained the previous dash board.