cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on tow vehicle

Timmck36
Explorer
Explorer
Morning all! I'm new to this forum and need some advice. I'm looking to buy a truck to only pull my Voltage 3950 TH. Once I pull it to my spot, I won't be using the truck at all. It'll be sitting there until I need to move it again. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that will get the job done and get it done safe. Being new to the scene, I'm not exactly sure what all the weights mean. I need to know the total weight of my TH when it's loaded down with the basic items. I.E. Couches, tvs, closet full of cloths, dishes.. Etc. None of my tanks will be filled and I won't have any toys in the garage. Here is the link to my specific RV.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-dutchmen-voltage-toy-hauler-floorplan-3950-tr19421

I want to know if a 2003 F350 7.3 DRW will do the job. If not, what do you guys suggest that isn't a brand new vehicle. This is a last minute move that I need to make. Any advice is helpful. Thank you!
20 REPLIES 20

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just sold my 2002 7.3 and purchased the truck in signature. Mine had over 300,000 miles on it and still looked and ran like it did when new. I did have to replace quite a few items while I owned it. New trans at about 250,000, rear end at about 175,000, all Moog front suspension and steering components. Never had a single problem with the engine but I changed the oil every 6-7000 miles and had it checked over every other year by a good diesel mechanic.

I ran a tuner with the towing program, and had full gauges on the pillar along with a ScanGauge on the dash front. My next mod, if I had kept the truck, would have been to put in a larger exhaust. With the tuner, I had to be careful with the exhaust temps and the larger exhaust would have helped with that.
I also had a DeCelerator exhaust brake but cannot recommend that to anyone. See my post here for information on that wrong turn!

The truck pulled our trailer very well but I had the hots for a new truck so the old reliable 7.3 had to go. Did not have any trouble at all getting rid of it. That is probably the best, most reliable engine Ford built. I absolutely love my new Ram with the Cummins however.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Buy this one. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/roadster-3.jpg

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ll do better asking on Ford diesel forums.
That โ€˜99-โ€˜03 7.3 is a great truck.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Timmck36
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice guys!! I went ahead and bought the 2003 F-350 7.3. Iโ€™m really ignorant when it comes to this. What mods are needed to start towards her full potential?

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
On the contrary, with just a few easy mods, diesels of that era and even a decade earlier will make as much torque as the new ones.
An โ€˜03 Powerstroke is like frozen pizza.
Pretty blah out of the box but it gets a lot better if you just add a little fresh cheese, pepperoni and spices on top.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
For the short moves, even a V10 would be fine with a good deep gear set on the rear axle, like a 4.30 or even a 4.56. You don't have to set any speed records if you're only moving it once a month. Just get there in one piece.

The V10 has the advantage of being much better suited to long periods of sitting around, where the diesel is going to fare much better if you work it regularly.

Keep in mind that in 2003, diesels and large-displacement gas engines of the time were about equal in power output. Diesels did not put out 1000 ft-lbs of torque for another 10+ years.

It all boils down to what's available, though. If this 2003 is a good truck and priced right it will do the job, but if you're buying this truck just for the sake of buying a truck, you probably can do better if you keep looking.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m with Grit Dog on this. That F350 is plenty of truck for the job, but before taking off on a long trip with that much weight youโ€™d be wise to get the transmission built, and I DONโ€™T mean rebuilt stock, I mean โ€œbuiltโ€ to high performance standards.
A few tweaks to the motor would help too. You donโ€™t need to get crazy about it but a little more power would make it nicer. Itโ€™s there for the taking with a few minor mods.
Thatโ€™s an excellent truck to work with.
But - expecting a high mileage older rig to do a reliable job towing heavy without going through it first is risky, doesnโ€™t matter what brand.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You could move it around the park with the most anemic 3/4 ton made, but the X country trip is another thing.
Assuming youโ€™re the better part of 20,000lbs, thatโ€™s a miserable (but doable) trip with an old diesel unless itโ€™s tuned and built trans etc. itโ€™s not even worth thinking about a gasser for the big trip.
I think youโ€™re on the right track. Find the right old economical diesel and when youโ€™re done with it, it wonโ€™t have lost any value really.
Depends what your overal goal is. After a year and x country are you done? Trailer parked or sold or whatโ€™s the deal?
Iโ€™m all for getting by with the minimum but the minimum here in an old truck is one thatโ€™s built, not stock, IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, an 03 Ford DRW will do the job, I pull a 16k goosneck quite often and have hauled a 4,400lb truck camper all over the country with a 93 Dodge 1 ton cummins, you may not be able to tow at 70mph but it will tow it fine.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

ben31rv
Explorer
Explorer
That 350 will pull just about anything you want it to pull. However, like others have said, if you are only moving it a couple of times a year, it will likely be more cost effective to hire someone to move it for you. Do the cost comparison and then decide.
Ben and Doreen
2017 Crusader 315RST
2008 F250 6.4 Supercrew Lariat

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
For moving it around the park the 2003 Ford dually will be fine.

Your Voltage 3950 is a little longer than my 3600 and a little heavier. I weighed it after a trip with most of our stuff unloaded and it was 16,500 pounds with 3500 on the pin (CAT scale).
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
That truck is basically the same as my 01, I wouldn't want to handle that pin weight. My truck has camper special package and with 109k miles it squats with 2100 lb. pin weight, not much but I wouldn't want to travel with another 1/2 ton on the pin.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dry pin weight on that trailer is almost 3300lbs. I am sure it will do fine on the local moves around the park but I am going to let someone with more experience with 5th wheels than I have answer the long distance move part. My suspicions are that it will be risky with that old of a truck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Your TH will push most trucks from that era to their limits.
Will it pull it?,,,,, Yes
Will you enjoy it? ,,,, Likely not. Especially if you are not someone with a bit of experience towing something of that type and size.
If you have the truck, and it already has a hitch, then yes I would do it. If you are looking at buying the truck, and having to buy a hitch as well, I would suggest you look into having the TH delivered. Even though the Ford is considered a good platform, I dont think I would buy a 15 year old truck and then expect to use it for towing a trailer that size without knowing the truck well.