Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Ohio State Will Be In Final Four (4) If...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Ohio State Will Be In Final Four (4) If...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the last 9 years Alabama has scheduled a patsy team the week before playing their rival Auburn. Not Ohio State, they played #12 ranked Mich. State, ranked #12 at the time the week before the Michigan game and we clobbered them. And during the Wisconsin game, Ohio State held Wisconsin to 60 total yards rushing!

Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

AlabamaTraveler

hueytown al usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are my thoughts.... when it comes down to a one loss team vs a two loss team, Its a no-brainer. It doesn't matter who the teams are, or who the conferences are.

Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alabama Traveler, Ohio State does NOT play teams like Mercer college or any other patsy school Alabama plays every year the week before the Auburn game! I'm an Ohio State fan and you're an Alabama fan, so naturally we are going to have different opinions, like we have had in the past! But, OSU is going to play in the Cotton Bowl against USC and if OSU beats USC and Clemson beats Alabama, like I expect them to do, then "Karma" will raise it's head and when the final ranking/polls come out, Ohio State will be ranked higher than Alabama! And then the whole world will know that Bama didn't belong there in the first place. Besides, I expect either Clemson or Oklahoma to win it all! Best, Chuck.

AlabamaTraveler

hueytown al usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who Alabama plays before Auburn has no bearing on anything,But if you want to compare patsy teams, your mighty Buckeyes could not even go thru Army, UNLV, Maryland, and Iowa without a defeat. Give me a break. A team that loses to Iowa by such a ridicules score should never be considered for a playoff. The Big Ten will never get the respect of the SEC because of the Big Ten teams. I don't expect Bama to beat Clemson, because I believe they are the best team. But what do I know? I'm just a fan....not an expert like you. RTR!!!!!

bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/17 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, I don't claim to be an expert! Also, the BIG10 is definitely equal to the SEC as in the last several years, the BIG10 schools have hired top notch coaches, for example, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue, and most recently Scott Frost at Nebraska, and Coach Chryst at Wisconsin is also a good coach! Both the SEC & the BIG10 have 5 teams in the Top 25. The SEC benefited from the migration of families moving from the former industrial north to the south, due to the loss of jobs. That I know for sure. Dozens of car plants and steel mills have been shut down in the northern states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, & Illinois. And the BIG10 has stricter recruiting rules vs the SEC, which gives SEC schools a recruiting advantage. However, having said that, Ohio State will have the #1 recruiting class this year, not Alabama, which has had the #1 recruiting class for the last 6 years or so. No other team in America has as many 5 Star recruits as Alabama. Alabama should win the National Championship every year! Personally I have nothing against Alabama and have two very good friends that are Alabama SUPER fans and they both told me how Alabama was going to roll right over Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl in 2014, but we both know that didn't happen. I can't wait till Alabama plays OSU again. My buckeyes have been somewhat a Jeckel & Hyde team this year. Loosing big to Iowa & then throttling #12 Mich. State the following week! Hope you find work! LCS

* This post was edited 12/05/17 03:44am by bagman *

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A true fact: the only way to really know if one team is better than another if for them to play each other, and then the result is valid only on that day. There have been enough instances of teams meeting each other twice in a given season, and guess what? About half the time, they split the games. We saw this between Georgia and Auburn this year, with only a couple weeks between meetings.

The reason for this is obvious. From week to week, guys get hurt, guys learn and improve, coaches decide to change and add plays to the play book, players are human and have days that are better than others. The result is that no team is exactly the same from one day to the next, let alone from one saturday to the next.

No matter how many teams you put into a playoff, SOMEBODY deserving of a shot will get left out. Some (mostly Ohio State fans, but others as well) may say the Buckeyes should have been in the playoffs. Others would add Wisconsin (after all, only one loss, and that by a mere 6 points) and UCF (undefeated, even if they didn't play any powerhouse teams). And if you are going to include two-loss OSU, what about Auburn, USC . . . .

All that is what makes college football exciting and fun to watch. To those of us on the outside of the national championship looking in, enjoy your games, whichever ones they are, and stay tuned, it's only 9 months until the football season begins again next year.

bagman

Land Of Milk & Honey!

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Initially I was very disappointed, but as see it now, Ohio State is going to play USC at Jerry's World in Dallas and that is an opportunity for the OSU players to earn a Cotton Bowl ring. Quite frankly, I don't feel OSU could win the Nat'l Championship, at least NOT with J.T. Barrett. But, don't get me wrong, I love J.T. and everything he has done for Ohio State, but if you watched the OSU/Michigan game, it was very obvious that our #2 QB Dwayne Haskins is the better QB, just as Cardale Jones was back in 2014 when he came into the game for J.T. when he broke his ankle. With Haskins behind center next year, the potential for a successful 2018 college football season, is very bright! Alabama Traveler was correct when he said that Clemson would beat Ohio State! And I would much rather close out the year with a win over USC! Bags....I think either Clemson or Oklahoma wins it all!!!

AlabamaTraveler

hueytown al usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Bags...let me see if I've got this right. You have clearly stated that Iowa beat Ohio St because the industrial north moved south taking the jobs with them. You also said that you are sure of this. Is that about right?

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, who is the 'best' team on any given day comes down to who emerges as the winner of that game. Population migrations, number of children in a family, wheat harvests, employment rates, academy award winners, birth rates, and a host of other variables in our society are unlikely to have significant, if any at all, impacts on how a team plays on any given day.

It's a game, just a game, and should not be taken too seriously at the college level at least. Let's recognize it for what it is; a game, and avoid the risk of getting blood pressures up and having a stroke by making it more that what is really is. Thank you. [emoticon]

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/17 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Jekel/Hyde nature of the team reflected to a certain extent the nature of JT's play. When he's been good, he has been very, very good indeed, and when he's been bad, he's been horrid. The last quarter plus of the Penn State game, he was fabulous. 16 of 16, etc. But in both the Michigan game and the Wisconsin game, he was both. Taking just the latter, early on, he couldn't miss. His passes were perfect and on target save for the pick-six, especially the long ones, and it looked like it was going to be a rout. Then he went off-track, started over-throwing and really struggled. Some of that was surely due to adjustments by Wisconsin, but not all of it.

To be sure, Haskins did a great job in the Michigan game, and the future looks bright.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Ohio State Will Be In Final Four (4) If...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS