cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help preventing flat-spotting

Smokey_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use Flatstoppers to help lessen the chance of getting a flat spot on their RV tires? I have a 36 foot 5th wheel that sits on my concrete drive for two to four months between trips. Worried because my other trailer did get flat spots after sitting about a year. The 5th wheel has very expensive tires (Goodyear LT 235/85R16 Load Range G) about two years old and I want to preserve them for as long as possible.

Flatsoppers is a brand name for a curved shaped ramp that the tire sits in. It supports more weight evenly on the bottom of the tire. So they say. Any recommendation would be helpful other than taking off the tires and leaving it on blocks. Also, it's a real hassle getting the trailer in and out of our drive so hitching up and taking it out for a spin every few weeks isn't a viable option either. Any help would be appreciated.
Smokey Lew
TT - 2005 Komfort 253tqs
TV - 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Quadcab w/ 5.7 Hemi & 3.92 axel
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Thanks fir the responses guys, but I Need someone from the PNW who's out changing blinker fluid tomorrow. I have some very rewarding projects I can sic you on! Lol
Maybe you can also find someone to show you the "Hide" button so you don't have to read these annoying threads.

Naw, itโ€™s all in fun.
Sorry to say that it doesn't come across that way. Text doesn't allow for many nuances.

Sorry. Itโ€™s just entertaining to me.
Although the sarcasm could be misconstrued that I am actually upset. Be assured Iโ€™m not. Plenty of real issues every day to worry about this. Rvnet is just fer fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CapriRacer wrote:
MKDSK wrote:
Can't I just jack my travel trailer up a then spin the tires a bit then let it back down, will that work?

Sure, and a 90ยฐ spin about once a month would be good. That way each small flat spot would be 90ยฐ apart rather than a big flat spot or many in random locations (which would mean some are going to be in the same location.)

Lol!
If itโ€™s 6 month layup wouldnโ€™t you want to do a 60deg rotation??
Oh and use a protractor and index the wheels! Nothing worse than out of phase flat spots.....

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MKDSK wrote:
Can't I just jack my travel trailer up a then spin the tires a bit then let it back down, will that work?

Sure, and a 90ยฐ spin about once a month would be good. That way each small flat spot would be 90ยฐ apart rather than a big flat spot or many in random locations (which would mean some are going to be in the same location.)

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never given it much thought other than checking/inflating just before 6 month winter lay up. Indoor concrete floor storage. First spring run out of the barn is a 1/2hr trip to a CG. Never noticed anything unusual in 10 years.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Thanks fir the responses guys, but I Need someone from the PNW who's out changing blinker fluid tomorrow. I have some very rewarding projects I can sic you on! Lol
Maybe you can also find someone to show you the "Hide" button so you don't have to read these annoying threads.

Naw, itโ€™s all in fun.
Sorry to say that it doesn't come across that way. Text doesn't allow for many nuances.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Naw, itโ€™s all in fun.

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And for all you peeps who are rotating their tires during storage, youโ€™re bored.
If too bored, get ahold of me, I have plenty of real projects I will allow you to complete for me to keep yourself occupied.
Not bored, just do things differently than you do. We don't all fall into the same mold. :R

Not bored just like to help my 3rd set of poly carcass LT E tires on the rv run 55k miles and 7-8 years of trouble free service like the first two sets did.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
And for all you peeps who are rotating their tires during storage, youโ€™re bored.
If too bored, get ahold of me, I have plenty of real projects I will allow you to complete for me to keep yourself occupied.
Not bored, just do things differently than you do. We don't all fall into the same mold. :R

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

I'll extend this offer as well ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Flat spots lol!
Just park it and go find something else to fret over. Seriously.