cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tired of antenna handle breaking

c-webster
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I use our motorhome to travel (no permanent location) and sometimes we like to watch a TV program in the evening. If we can't get anything, that's not really a problem for us--we're definitely not TV dependent. However, when we want to watch it's frustrating to have the crank handle break when there's no convenient place to get a new one. We'd like to replace the TV antenna with either a unit that cranks up but doesn't have a sure-to-break plastic handle or an omni-directional unit.

Is there an antenna that cranks up with a handle that's less likely to break--maybe a metal handle?

If we go with the omni-directional unit on our Damon Astoria, is there a risk that wind will rip the antenna off? (Sometimes traveling in the west, we're going 65 mph while the wind is blowing against us at 40 mph making the effective wind 100 mph.)

We're not channel mongers. If we can't find anything we'd enjoy watching, we have other entertainment options, so while we'd like to maximize our reception, that's not the most important issue. We want a reliable antenna that won't break the roof and won't fall apart with use.

Any advice?
Charlie
26 REPLIES 26

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
BIG THUMBS UP!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

c-webster
Explorer
Explorer
This is very late, but thanks to those who replied, especially those who suggested lubrication. I had ignored all the obvious clues. Everything works better even than when I bought the unit new. THANK YOU!
Charlie

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but I don't have any pictures but I made a new handle assembly out of wood. Glued a hex nut inside so the set screw pushes against the nut which is captured inside the wooden hub. Did that last fall and it has not come loose again. Jim.

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Had the handle come off. Got tiered of that happening. Drilled and tapped another set screw hole so the two set screws tighten against themselves. No problems now.
Lou

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The Sensar antenna handle shouldn't break if the elevating mechanism is properly lubricated - a maintenance procedure that is clearly described in the Winegard Sensar Owner's Manual. Since the OP apparently lives in this rig convenience of use should be sufficient reason to replace his Sensar antenna with a Winegard Rayzar Automatic antenna, eliminating any breaking handle issue because of lack of maintenance.

drsteve wrote:
For me, the $399 price tag is sufficient reason to pass on this thing.

More like $600 Cdn here in Canada. :E

Any problem I've had with the antenna handle coming off was because the shaft it was attached to had been crudely chopped off to length, the result being the screw that secures the handle to the shaft not being able to get a proper grip on the shaft. I solved that by replacing the shaft with a new, longer version (sold by Winegard) and properly cutting it to a bit longer length, ensuring that the cut was a proper 90 degrees. This done, the set screw will easily grip the shaft and not allow the handle to pull free.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The Sensar antenna handle shouldn't break if the elevating mechanism is properly lubricated - a maintenance procedure that is clearly described in the Winegard Sensar Owner's Manual. Since the OP apparently lives in this rig convenience of use should be sufficient reason to replace his Sensar antenna with a Winegard Rayzar Automatic antenna, eliminating any breaking handle issue because of lack of maintenance.

For me, the $399 price tag is sufficient reason to pass on this thing.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

EasyXjer
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Presumably you have a "Bat-Wing" ? What on earth are you doing...as far as tightening the thing? If it is hard to open (extend) go up on the roof and spray the mechanism with silicone.

It should open and close without any problems... in closing, (lowering) once you you hear the antenna (hit) the roof...just give it a VERY gentle tweak...and you're done!

Hope this helps.............

NOTHING I too have this problem. The plastic one is so soft you cannot tighten the set screw enough to stop the handle from popping off when you pull down the direction ring or try to lift the antenna, and mine was replaced last year, the WHOLE mechanism I lowered it and it stayed there. Raised it today the handle slid right off and the spring took a hike.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
c-webster wrote:
Well, there were a lot of correct posts here. It was a lubrication problem. Even though the plate behind the handle clearly says to lube every 6 months, I never bothered to read it. So I used the You-Tube video explanation to do a thorough lubrication, and now the antenna goes up and down very easily. I feel like an idiot, but at least I've learned my lesson.

Feeling like an idiot is just a symptom of learning.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
good job.

read and follow the directions...

fyi. there is a little seal on the main shaft.. if water starts to drip off the handle.. that little seal is bad...

mine lasted 13 years.

if something moves. it needs lubrication every so often ๐Ÿ™‚

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
c-webster wrote:
Well, there were a lot of correct posts here. It was a lubrication problem. Even though the plate behind the handle clearly says to lube every 6 months, I never bothered to read it. So I used the You-Tube video explanation to do a thorough lubrication, and now the antenna goes up and down very easily. I feel like an idiot, but at least I've learned my lesson.

Good job!!! That's the power of the internet at work right there.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just DO NOT use the lithium grease on your Winegard antenna. Dry silicone spray is all that is recommended.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There you go, learned two lessons at one time. I use Kwikee lube but the other day I saw White Lithium Grease in a pressurized can. I'm going to get one of those too.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

c-webster
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
My worm gear is completely exposed and the worm is only partially exposed. It is easy to reach all the necessary points with silicone spray. As long as I lube it once a year, as recommended, there is never a problem.