Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BAL Leveler

GNO22
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Camped over the weekend and ran into a fellow PUP owner and he brought a BAL leveler to my attention. Doing some research, they seem to be quite popular and helpful. I learned that you don't necessarily NEED them, but many are thankful they have one. To date, I've been leveling the PUP with the stabilizer jacks - seems straight forward. My question is whether this is a bad thing to do. Does it put more stress on the trailer/frame to level with just the stabilizers?

Appreciate any input.
6 REPLIES 6

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
We had a BAL leveler with our last pop up and loved it. Great job leveling and stabilizing the camper.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have one. The camp ground I used had some unlevel spots and it came in handy a few times. If you do get one, after cranking up the low side place one leveling block under the tire. If the tubing of the leveler settles into the ground deep enough and you don't have a block for the tire to come down on you might not be able to pull the leveler out from under the tire. You'll have to crank it back up again.

Wakita46
Explorer
Explorer
Some people really like the Andersen camper leveler. They are quick and adjust just by driving back and forth a little. I started out with a BAL leveler and used it for 15,000 miles. Had to crank it all the way up a few sites. Once it stripped and I had trouble getting it down. Get a back up threaded part if you get a BAL. In some camp sites it was not high enough. I had to add some LYNX level blocks for those sites. They are quicker than the BAL Leveler if you only need to get within half a bubble on a torpedo level, which is good enough that it is not noticeable to me. I added LYNX chocks to the LYNX level blocks and I have used them for the last 16,000 miles. They are faster than the BAL but the BAL is unequaled at chocking the tire in place.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a pup for 9 years, and I always wanted one, but never got around to ordering one. I had a 2ft long 2x8, with a 1ft long 2x8 screwed down on one end of it, with a 3 inch 2x8 at the end. That made a little ramp giving me either 1.5, or 3 inches of lift. It was always enough at the campgrounds we went to. Super easy to use, and was made with scrap I had at the house.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
The stabilizers are not meant for leveling the unit, you can twist the frame using them. The BAL Leveler is good for a PUP, fast set up, storage is another question, I built a plywood box to hold mine, If you do get one make sure you keep the big screw greased. When we went dark I gave me to another PUPer as it was to much trouble with the extra weight of the TT. In fact I went back to leveling boards made from 2X8 lumber and they are fast, easy and cheap to make just place and either drive up on it (or back up on it. Good Luck and Happy Camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

coachjeff
Explorer
Explorer
I started with a PUP and moved onto a travel trailer and NO you should not be leveling with the stabilizer jacks. They are for stabilizing only. I used to level side to side with blocks and then put the jacks down to stabilize only. I did end up buying the BAL leveler and it was the best purchase i made for the PUP. It took out a lot of the movement that you would normally have. I sold the PUP to a freind of mine and he loved it as well.
Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2012 Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban 4 wheel drive.