cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1990 bounder turning gene on and off i hear buzz sound

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked the Bounder up yesterday. Please, no comments regarding choice, we were severely limited with our choices.
1990 bounder 40'
Generator hasn't been perfect since we picked it up but it's running smoother as we use it. It has developed a few issues:
1 a slight hum when I turn on the microwave at the breaker box
2 a buzz sound when turning on and a buzz sound when turning off. It doesn't last long (2 to 4 seconds) but I want to know if anyone has experienced it and what it might be
14 REPLIES 14

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, is your Bounder one of those rare 40' gas coaches?
If so, when posting questions please note that it's gas and weather Ford or Chevy. Most RVers think 40' means diesel.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
My generator makes a "buzzing sound when turning it off every time. My tech tells me this is common and nothing to worry about. I recently found a "buzzing" sound at the circuit breaker panel that I traced to a faulty transfer switch relay. It is sticking. I plan to replace it immediately. It only happens on the generator. Chuck

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
update: problem comes back intermittently. if i hit the off button for the gene but dont actually hold it to turn gene completely off, buzz goes away.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Electrical problems usually do not fix themselves. They just go dormant for a while and then seem to come back to bit you. As for your oven hum, not knowing the electrical layout, I would not even guess.
Wildmanbaker

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we first turn power on, my microwave/convection hums for about 30 seconds, then the digital display comes on and the hum stops. It has done this for 7 years since we got it. Seems to be a normal operation with power up.

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyones help.
Problem stopped on its own.

MrWizard
Probably mislabeled
Do them one at a time see which one turns off MW
But you said turning off that breaker stops the hum
So you need to track down what is on that breaker

I'm gonna guess the hum is from the power converter that chargers your batteries

Could be a loose transformer winding in the converter, no danger just annoying
Or bad batteries causing converter strain, that is problem
If they are bad the need to be replaced
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
Found out today that when microwave breaker switch is OFF, microwave still works

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
Is the hum at the breakers and not anywhere else? try cycling the breakers 4 or 5 times with all 120 volt power disconnected. It may be the main breaker, or loose connections in the breaker box, or the transfer switch. If you are not comfortable with 120 volt AC, get some guidance from someone you may know. Things are tight to get to the transfer switch, if you have one.

Hum is at the breaker box.
Buzz was at the dash or front end of the gene (unsure). Haven't heard buzz since yesterday.
If I turn off the microwave at the breaker box, him stops. If I turn on the microwave but turn off the other appliances, hum gets smaller.
Without microwave breaker on, no bedroom power.

To answer someone else's statement: refrigerator is small house refrigerator, no LP.
We want to put in a side by side double door 3-way eventually, but this is all weve got for now.

MrWizard
A simple suggestion regarding fridge
Put the fridge on LP
Choose LP from the button options on the control
Choose gas manual, not automatic
This way you remove one possible problem source
While trouble shooting the generator
This way fridge will stay on LP, all the time until you change it back to automatic mode
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Is the hum at the breakers and not anywhere else? try cycling the breakers 4 or 5 times with all 120 volt power disconnected. It may be the main breaker, or loose connections in the breaker box, or the transfer switch. If you are not comfortable with 120 volt AC, get some guidance from someone you may know. Things are tight to get to the transfer switch, if you have one.
Wildmanbaker

kimberlysmoore
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Might be loose wire and/or defective breaker. Have you measured the voltage put out by the generator?

Not yet. I need a lesson on using my multimeter.
I just bought a fairly decent one a few weeks ago..I don't want to do anything wrong and fry something
The buzz didn't happen a little while ago but I am still getting the "hum" sound unless I turn of the microwave OR the refrigerator at the breaker box while the gene is running.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I just worked on one ina 90 Fleetwood where the fuel pump made a loud buzzing noise.
It's right at the front of the gen and will be easy to discern if it's the source.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Might be loose wire and/or defective breaker. Have you measured the voltage put out by the generator?
Kevin