cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panel Upgrade

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thought that I’d share my recent changes made to my solar panels. We bought unit used, and panels were not adjustable for different seasons or different latitudes. So, I mounted perforated angle to panels and to roof. Purchased 3/8” aluminum rod, cut and bent 90’s on each end, drilled a hole in end of rod so a hairpin clip could secure rod into perforated angle to achieve the desired angle for your panels.

If you are a “boondocker” and want/need adjustable panels, this may work for you!

Having trouble with photos. Giant photos and tiny script. Will post pics separately. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
13 REPLIES 13

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
westend, We have discussed 4-way tilt panels, but could’nt figure-out a practical design. If it can be “ dumbed-down” for my limited cranial components... could you explain how this was accomplished! Thanks in advance for any and all knowledge shared!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

westend
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Just broke camp this morning, from 3 weeks of boondocking in the mountains. Solar panel adjustable system worked great. We did have a couple of issues though. First,yesterday, swept the snow off of the roof, in preparation for today’s leaving. “WOW” is that new FlexArmor roof slick!!! Wishing I had “cleats”or golf shoes! We had a little winter storm start coming through at about 3 AM this morning. Putting those panels back into place with winds gusting to 30 +mph while 13’ off the ground on a slick roof....ages you “very” rapidly!

Yeah, linear actuators become an attractive option when the bones start getting old or you want to keep them intact. 😉

I thought about installing the actuators on my tilt mechanism but I have four-way tilt so it became a lot of expense and a design challenge. In the real world, I don't do any camping in the Winter so the panel stays in it's tilted position throughout the Winter while in storage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Just broke camp this morning, from 3 weeks of boondocking in the mountains. Solar panel adjustable system worked great. We did have a couple of issues though. First,yesterday, swept the snow off of the roof, in preparation for today’s leaving. “WOW” is that new FlexArmor roof slick!!! Wishing I had “cleats”or golf shoes! We had a little winter storm start coming through at about 3 AM this morning. Putting those panels back into place with winds gusting to 30 +mph while 13’ off the ground on a slick roof....ages you “very” rapidly!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
go high voltage, add panels until you have no additional room. Then you no longer have to tilt even in the winter, that is unless it snows and for me, I will not be there.

Not sure how high is high.... we’re wired in series with six panels, which is all the room we have on top of the 5er. When winter camped in north Wyoming (hunting/ fishing), the nights are long and days are short with the sun quite low in the southern sky..... so tilt is a must!!!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
go high voltage, add panels until you have no additional room. Then you no longer have to tilt even in the winter, that is unless it snows and for me, I will not be there.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
If a guy stores his RV in the Winter and wishes to keep the onboard batteries charged, tilt is the only way to go in snow country.

Nice work on the tilt mechanisms!

Thanks to everyone!!! We’re headed out tomorrow for three (3) weeks of “boondocking” (elk season), and will give the panels a “workout”. But with cold temperatures, long nights and short days.....the little Honda 2000 will get some “exercise” as well!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If a guy stores his RV in the Winter and wishes to keep the onboard batteries charged, tilt is the only way to go in snow country.

Nice work on the tilt mechanisms!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Had several photos, but with the “operator error”, stopped with one. Hopefully this will give enough info!

Try the photos app (link is in the Forum Technical Support sticky). Works great.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Had several photos, but with the “operator error”, stopped with one. Hopefully this will give enough info!

Thankfully my DW knows a “little” more than I do about getting pictures on here. She really likes the app where you can drag and drop...no more Imgur!!!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a kit for a panel that I use to power a camera on my property. It's too far to get utility power to it. The mount looks similar and I bet yours was probably 1/4 the cost. Looks good.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s a closeup of the 3/8” aluminum rod, hairpin clips, and washers. If you look closely at the aluminum rod, you can see holes drilled for clips. Also note the protractor which is used to get the correct angle on the solar panel which will change seasonally or with a latitude change. If you choose to make adjustable panels, there are internet sites that can give you the angles required for optimum solar panel performance using your location and the time of year.

Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer

Todd & Marianne