cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Is a WDH necessary with the newer trucks(2015 F250)that have sway control and air bags? Thinking maybe getting a TT with weight around 10K GVWR and 1060 tongue weight(per brochure).
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
20 REPLIES 20

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
+1

You may not "need" it on paper, but it is still a good idea. The truck may still handle okay without it, but it will handle better with it. Having the integrated sway control as well gives you a "belt and suspenders and duct tape" approach to unforeseen sway issues you may come across.

Sidebar:
Belt - The trailer should be designed and loaded with enough tongue weight that it shouldn't sway in the first place.
Suspenders - The WD hitch's integrated sway control will dampen any attempts to sway.
Duct tape - The truck's sway detection system will apply trailer brakes if it all goes to heck in a handbasket.

The WD's integrated sway control also has the advantage of dampening any push-pull effect you may feel from passing semis, because it keeps the trailer from being blown off course and in turn tugging/pushing the back of your truck around.

Your tail-to-dog ratio with a large 10,000lb trailer and an F250 is about the same as a 7,000lb trailer with an F150. The tail isn't wagging the dog yet, but they are pretty evenly matched.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I know our Chevy HD can handle the 10K GVWR of our 33' TT as it has 3.3K# of payload, but living and RVing in the Mountain West means high winds are pretty common and traveling at interstate speeds I definitely engage our WD/SC hitch every time we go out RVing. We have a very comfortable towing experience with no sway to speak of, even when passing commercial diesel trucks our rig feels rock solid.

I've seen too many HD trucks hauling TTs that had no or severely inadequate hitches that didn't dare go much more than 55 mph as sway was very noticeable as we approached them from behind. You could visibly see their hands white-knuckling their steering wheels as we passed smoothly by, under those conditions I can see why so many herald the towing experience they have with a fifth wheel.

A TV/TT towing combination with a quality WD/SC hitch that is properly dialed in can deliver an excellent towing experience, of course you have to have enough truck to do the job to begin with. With the size of TT you are planning to get, why stress towing such a nice TT arriving to your destination fatigued from the less than ideal towing experience. Make the investment so you can truly enjoy your new TT.

X-2
The above advice is totally correct. The difference between a comfortable towing experience and a white knuckle ride is a well set up WD/SC hitch. See my sig for my set up.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The funny one I hear is "We only tow twice a year, once from the N, once from the S so we don't need one." Right! Thats' about 4000 miles too. I wouldn't go without onne.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
1060 pound dry TW will be closer to 1400 pounds loaded. If you drop the tongue on the ball, that will increase the rear axle weight by about 1900 pounds and decrease the front steering axle by 500 pounds. I think that is enough for driver and passengers to notice the handling effects. It may also drop the rear bumper by about 2". Air bags can bring the rear end up, but not change the axle weights. Electronic sway control can help react once sway starts, but mechanical sway control can limit or prevent it in the first place. That seems better to me.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I delivered Travel Trailers and I wouldn't be W/O a WD hitch.

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the sway control on trucks only kicks in once things are getting out of hand, atleast on my 2016 ram that is. I loaded a trailer with lumber and it was light on tongue weight,it was swaying very bad at 60 mph, to the point the rear tires were barking, that is when the truck Took over and fixed the sway.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Another point on sway control, as I understand it, the truck sway control system works when the trailer has started to sway, the hitch system tries to prevent it from swaying in the first place. Better to prevent, but having both is best.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Master Chief above got it 100% correct. Way to go Master Chief! (by the way, my best friend happens to be one also) ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney (MSG U.S.Army Retired - since 1997)
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reason you still need WDH:

When you hang that 1060 lbs (your loaded tongue weight will be more like 1250 to 1300 lbs) of tongue weight on your hitch, it adds weight to your rear axle and takes weight off from the steering (front) axle. Like a see-saw.

Too much weight off front axle causes handling issues. Something minor as breathing and subconscious hand movement can cause trailer sway and steering problems.

You may also be exceeding the weight rating on your hitch receiver. Look for a stamp or decal stating weight rating with and without WDH.

The primary purpose of WDH is to restore lost weight on the front axle. Leveling the truck body / trailer and maintaining receiver ratings are secondary. Air bags only do the leveling part.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, you absolutely should use a WD hitch with that combination. I have not scaled our trailer lately but the last time I did the GVW was around 8500lbs loaded for a winters stay in Florida which means clothes, pots and pans etc but no food. The trailer has a 10,000lb GVWR and the way it sits right now, loaded just about the same as before, the tongue weight is just short of 1400lbs. I suspect that yours will be right in that range also just for weekend camping.

Keep in mind that the weight of the tongue unloads the front axle of the truck and the WD hitch restores that lost weight. I don't think you would enjoy towing without one with that size and weight trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
You do not want to tow a 10,000 lb trailer with any 250/2500 truck without a WDH.
....and a 10K trailer will have a lot more tongue weight than the 1060 lbs that you posted..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know our Chevy HD can handle the 10K GVWR of our 33' TT as it has 3.3K# of payload, but living and RVing in the Mountain West means high winds are pretty common and traveling at interstate speeds I definitely engage our WD/SC hitch every time we go out RVing. We have a very comfortable towing experience with no sway to speak of, even when passing commercial diesel trucks our rig feels rock solid.

I've seen too many HD trucks hauling TTs that had no or severely inadequate hitches that didn't dare go much more than 55 mph as sway was very noticeable as we approached them from behind. You could visibly see their hands white-knuckling their steering wheels as we passed smoothly by, under those conditions I can see why so many herald the towing experience they have with a fifth wheel.

A TV/TT towing combination with a quality WD/SC hitch that is properly dialed in can deliver an excellent towing experience, of course you have to have enough truck to do the job to begin with. With the size of TT you are planning to get, why stress towing such a nice TT arriving to your destination fatigued from the less than ideal towing experience. Make the investment so you can truly enjoy your new TT.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air bags will level the truck. But air bags will NOT replace the lost weight / steering control to the front axle. Only a WDH will do it, and make the truck drivable while towing a TT.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Equal-i-zer WDH on my 1 ton 3500 duly diesel with a trailer at 10,000 pounds. Drives wonderful. But without the WDH, ... no way!