cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chucking?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
As I research more & more I keep learning & the latest thing is chucking?
What the cheapest way to prevent it?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
125 REPLIES 125

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GHop wrote:
Maybe I'm using the wrong word. I do understand the purpose of installing airbags on a vehicle. I installed airbags to return the rear to level which gives a better ride and also control. I just wanted to share what has worked for me.

Are you saying the rear of your truck rode lower than my pics above without bags? YES bags do improve ride but IMHO too many people try to get the truck ride same as it sets without bags by adding them. THAT makes for a worse ride and most likely a nose high RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm using the wrong word. I do understand the purpose of installing airbags on a vehicle. I installed airbags to return the rear to level which gives a better ride and also control. I just wanted to share what has worked for me.
G.H.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GHop wrote:
My tow vehicle is Ram 3500 Dually and I tow a Arctic Fox 35-5. I can't remember my pin weight but I do recall it is under my max, fully loaded fifth wheel. I installed air bags to solve my problem of the ram sagging rear end. Not sure if any of he information I shared help the OP. I just know with the combination of the MorRyde pin box and fully articulating hitch, I have no problem with chucking.

Happy Camping everyone

Curious what you mean by sagging? Adding air bags will improve ride along with quality shocks like Bilstein 4600's as I did on my 2011 RAM Dually. I really don't think your truck "NEEDED" bags. With my 11 I added bags for ride comfort NOT to cure "SAGGING". I ran mine at 30psi loaded the truck looked the same as without bags as it was "LEVEL" loaded. My RV had 4,500# pin, I assume your Arctic Fox would be no more than that. Also the newer trucks like yours have a stronger rear suspension than I had.

First pic no bags second with. I never had "CHUCKING" with wither setup but did fix the ride with the bags.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
My tow vehicle is Ram 3500 Dually and I tow a Arctic Fox 35-5. I can't remember my pin weight but I do recall it is under my max, fully loaded fifth wheel. I installed air bags to solve my problem of the ram sagging rear end. Not sure if any of he information I shared help the OP. I just know with the combination of the MorRyde pin box and fully articulating hitch, I have no problem with chucking.

Happy Camping everyone
G.H.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GHop wrote:
I don't have chucking. I have a 35 foot fifth wheel, 16400lbs with a MORryde pin box and Husky Hitch that has a fully articulating head. Maybe the combination of the hitch and Moryde pin box.

I am betting you have a lever 5er and 20 percent pin or more.

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have chucking. I have a 35 foot fifth wheel, 16400lbs with a MORryde pin box and Husky Hitch that has a fully articulating head. Maybe the combination of the hitch and Moryde pin box.
G.H.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I think I understand, but not sure. I'll save further questions for another day.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Sabretooth007
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1. To answer your query, and quote a camping World tech the top part of a two piece Hitch holding the table/jaws mounts on to the bottom of the Hitch with a shaft at either side. It is then secured in place with a locking pins. When mounted the shafts will move up and down. .

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Chugging? I did too much of that in high school. ๐Ÿ™‚

It =was= usually followed by periods of chucking, though. :B

Lyle

:B

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:

It =was= usually followed by periods of chucking, though. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you're pin is bouncing up and down on your 5th hitch you have way too little pin weight.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
What is a mounting shaft?

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^

"CHUGGING" maybe a bit too much if thinking the brake controller is the culprit at all! :B

Sabretooth007
Explorer
Explorer
I still maintain Chugging is from the acceleration and braking of the vehicle combination, which can be reduced if your brake controller is adjusted correctly.
As for the up and down movement which is wrongly called Chugging I took a long look at the connection between my table and pin hook when hooked up, I noticed there was quite a large gap which created a space for up and down movement.
I have since added a second silicone ring which reduces and makes the up/down movement less which in turn creates for a smoother ride.

I have also, having a two piece hitch, greased a cut 1/2 hose under each mounting shaft which also reduces movement and noise.

It works for me but make sure the gap will take another ring and not cause a problem.
If the gap is ok its worth concidering and for the cost of less than $20.. And if it doesn't you have a spare ring.