cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roku or chromcast tv sticks

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. Has anyone had any experience with using the Roku or Chromcast or Amazon Fire Stick. Was thinking of purchasing one to use at home and in my rv. I would like to be able to watch baseball during the summer and football in the fall while we travel. We still work full time but spend as much time as possible in the rv. Any advice would be helpful.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut
20 REPLIES 20

APT
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Roku boxes at home as we stream all video services. They have worked well for our family a my kids learned how to use the simple remotes when under 5yrs old. Mine are hard wired through ethernet, but have been reliable for 5+ years.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roku 2, Apple TV, and a Fire Stick that I have accumulated over the years. Oh, also a Smart Sony Blu-Ray player.

I enjoy them all and these things are cheap. I love the Roku and the Sony so that I can use my vudu App to access my Digital movie library.

Netflix works best on the Fire Stick. The Amazon Prime content works best on the Fire Stick. Sometimes when I am binge watching a show I want to watch several episodes at a time. My Roku will not auto play the episodes but the Fire Stick and the Apple TV will.

I use to be all Apple but honestly We never use it any more.

If I had to use one streaming device it would be the Fire TV Stick. Itโ€™s very smooth and I love the interface and being Android based its easily modified.

It is my go-to device 90% of the time.

I do like the Roku, it is customizable to a degree, but the interface is a little dated and somewhat clunky.

Fire Stick plus a few apps and setting adjustments and itโ€™s by far the best experience for me.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Roku and others and settled on a Reveal Streaming Media Box. It cost more but comes with KODI installed. I can watch any live NFL game in HD or other live sports. No Sunday NFL Ticket needed. HBO, Showtime, Stars and others. Amazon, Netflix, HULA and other shows including old TV shows. All movies. Many live TV channels from across the country. Almost all cable/satellite channels including NATGO, Disney, History, Discovery and other channels. For free. No subscription needed. The box updates regularly on its own. Oh yea there is the international stuff also that I don't watch. It does a lot more. You use the included HDMI cable to connect it to your TV.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Roku works well for me.

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have both and prefer Roku. The chomesticks always seems to need fiddling with to get them to work. Roku always works with my AT&T mobley MiFi unit. I have no experience with Amazon Fire sticks but I bought an Amazon Fire tablet when they were heavily discounted a couple of months ago. It is preset to everything Amazon and would not connect to Goggle Play without hacking it. The Amazon store does not have near the apps that Google Play has. For this reason I would skip the Amazon Fire stick and would not buy another Amazon tablet either.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Amazon fire stick, and if you have Amazon prime you get a lot of free movies and stuff, you can also jail break it or buy one that way and add kodi tv and other add ons that will give you a world of tv at your fingertips.

You dont need to jail break your firestick to put Kodi on it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Amazon fire stick, and if you have Amazon prime you get a lot of free movies and stuff, you can also jail break it or buy one that way and add kodi tv and other add ons that will give you a world of tv at your fingertips.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
I am watching a show on my Roku Exrpess (one step up from the stick) using my AT&T Mobley to get wifi in my motorhome as I type this. Overall it works great.

Express is the base model, stick is the step up, and then you get the ultra. Express is newer however.

Benefits of the stick and up is the WiFi remote vs express needing infrared line of sight. Another bonus is much better radio, dual band with multiple antenna vs single band and single antenna.

More information here: https://www.howtogeek.com/293645/which-roku-should-i-buy/
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Roku. It has more options, it is like the Swiss in the war between Amazon and Google.

Amazon streamer is anti Google, and Google streamer is anti Amazon.

Roku in my trailer and two dumb TV's at home.

I agree the Roku is more versatile than any other streaming device on the market. I have the latest version of the stick, just to have one less piece of clutter. It will power from a USB port on the TV if there is one, or through a pluggged in adapter. Check to see if it comes with a USB connector for power. Mine came with the wall plug adapter. The stick plugs directly into the HDMI connector on the TV, and also to whatever power source you have.

It's very easy to set up. You have to log in to the wifi once, and into any provider or subscription service you have, such as Netflix. If you have a cable or satellite subscription, you can log in through that for a larger choice of programming. I have plenty without those. I am a PBS member and can watch all their programming. That plus Netflix, plus a few of the free services like local TV stations, are all the TV I have time to watch.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I am watching a show on my Roku Exrpess (one step up from the stick) using my AT&T Mobley to get wifi in my motorhome as I type this. Overall it works great.

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

Stogiesaurus
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Roku. It has more options, it is like the Swiss in the war between Amazon and Google.

I have the same problem with my Apple TV with no Amazon Prime app. They keep saying it's coming.

Also have a Roku and it works great.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a Chromecast in the 5er with AT&T Mobley. That way I can pull something up on my phone then cast it to the Chromecast.

At home we have Chromecast, Amazon Firestick and our favorite, a Roku for each tv.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed