cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a large vehicle

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
We currently tow a 37 ft TT behind our 15 passenger van. We've started toying with the idea of getting a motorhome. We have 11 kids so a smaller vehicle isn't an option. All of the GVWR numbers make my head spin a bit. Does anyone tow a large/heavy vehicle like mine behind their MH? We've found a couple of gas MH's that have 5000lb hitches on them. Is there a gas MH out there that would have the power to tow more than that? Are we crazy? (We are on a pretty tight budget and are looking for used MHs)

TIA
54 REPLIES 54

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled this for years when we were spending a few months of the year in travelling thru almost all the Mexican States. Just under 10,000 pounds. We were never the first to the top of the hill but we always made it. Everything within specs. Brake buddy for brakes...set pretty tight. ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
I donโ€™t know if youโ€™ve already thought of, and dismissed the idea, but........

A friend of mine has a sort of similar situation, his solution is to have TWO drivers. One drives the motorhome, the other drives the people mover towing (depending on the trip) a cargo trailer or second small camper.

Food for thought?

Read all the threads, it was suggested about 3 pages ago.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
yes but where do u put 11 kids? and he says there on a tight budget
My opinion a decent older used prevost is still 150K or more
An older used Prevost will break him financially. Also, their slides yield very little slide room. He's better off with his 15 passenger van and TT. BTW, older Prevosts can be had under $100,000.00. I doubt he's financially prepared for anything near that from reading his financial tightness.

Read all the threads, Not a he or a him.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a misconception about actual tow capacity and the receiver hitch capacity. The gas MHs use a fixed length frame, depending on wheel base, that the manufacture usually extends to carry the house part. The manufacture is the one that sets the tow limit, not the chassis manufacture. The tow limit has to be certified to tow the set amount of weight for DOT requirements. If you look under some of the MHs, there is really some god awful looking extensions. Most DPs have a hefty frame that the hitch is attached to. There are some that have had the rear extension modified to tow more weight, but to be legal, a certified engineer would have to sign off on the mod. I don't know of any that would do that.
Wildmanbaker

BDersham
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 27โ€™ trailer behind our 43โ€™ DP and have no issues. Obviously need to be aware and alert when turning or backing.
Bob Dersham
RED@Dersham.com

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
OP I'm sorry some people on this thread are not being helpful. This is very simple. Look for a Diesel pusher or Super C in your price range. There is also another very narrow possibility. There are some standard Class C E450 chassis based 31' units with bunks that do have a 7,500# tow rating. I.e. they have a GVWR of 14,500# and CGWR or 22,000#. The tradeoff is you will have very limited water, sewer and battery capacity. Space for all your crew will be at a major premium as well. You will likely need to add seatbelts to the rig. The E450 Class C units are also hot and noisy up front. All of that said they are very common and inexpensive to purchase. Ask the seller to take a picture of the weight dataplate and the hitch dataplate. Don't worry if the difference between the GCWR and GVWR is less than your van weight. That just means you can't fully load the coach which is very common. You also need the dry or shipping weight of the coach. The difference between the dry and GCWR is what you can carry including what you can tow. In my case the shipping weight is about 21000# the GCWR is 30000# I have 9000# to work with. If I want to tow my Yukon XL I can't fully load my coach. It's not complicated. We usually tow a lighter vehicle for that reason. What you need can be done.
FMCA member

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Just making a guess that you may use sleeping bags on the floor for a couple children I would suggest a Dutch Star or Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher from Newmar., They were the first to put production slides in a MH in the 90's so there are many in that era available and most have the required towing capacity for your van. The transmission on the van must be towable by itself or have a pump or some other method of disconnecting it. Brakes om the van would also be a requirement for towing that size vehicle.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Up until this last year, we've usually had two drivers to drag all our toys to the lake.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
yes but where do u put 11 kids? and he says there on a tight budget
My opinion a decent older used prevost is still 150K or more
An older used Prevost will break him financially. Also, their slides yield very little slide room. He's better off with his 15 passenger van and TT. BTW, older Prevosts can be had under $100,000.00. I doubt he's financially prepared for anything near that from reading his financial tightness.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t know if youโ€™ve already thought of, and dismissed the idea, but........

A friend of mine has a sort of similar situation, his solution is to have TWO drivers. One drives the motorhome, the other drives the people mover towing (depending on the trip) a cargo trailer or second small camper.

Food for thought?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking there is surely no simple answer, especially, if the budget is low. Ideally, an Entertainer bus with 12 bunks would be the best solution and some of those do have a slide or two.

Another thought that was mentioned is to buy a good used class A pulling a travel trailer. Some of the kids must be getting old enough to drive and if old enough and responsible, could drive the van . Yes, it would be more fuel usage but that is a big family and it costs what it costs.

Wishing the best of luck to the OP.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
As much as I appreciate people's concern I didn't come in here to have people question my current towing situation. Rest assured that I am both intelligent and responsible enough to have done the research PRIOR to towing with my current set up to ensure the safety of my family.

MrWizard
I too understand where people have concerns regarding the van and TT

however, the OP is asking about a Class A motorhome, as she intends to change the RV situation

i don't see how questions about weight and panic stopping the Van & TT
will help her find the Motorhome
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
edited
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg