cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To pull a trailer or a toad

1nolaguy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it is clear to me that if you are full timing or semi-full timing (basically more than just weekending)you are likely either towing a trailer (TT or 5er) or pulling a toad of some type.

Lets face it, no one relishes breaking camp every time you need to run to the store or want to go exploring.

So if you pull something, please share which you prefer and why.

Now as a point of clarity, obviously what you two is determined by your type of RV. My main question is your pros and cons for making your choices. current day MH, TT and 5ers can have many of the same amenities so do you prefer one motor and drive train or two?

I look forward to everyone's comments.
35 REPLIES 35

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
STBRetired wrote:
Started with a TT in a seasonal recreation club. When retired, we bought a MH so that DW could use the bathroom or kitchen while we were traveling. Started towing a Malibu on a dolly, now tow an Edge 4 down.

pardon my ignorance, but surely travelling in a MH not sitting and belted in is both dangerous and illegal.

we debated the MH/toad vs trailer/truck and decided on the truck. if nothing else, a truck/trailer combo can be backed up, a toad, unless on a trailer itself cannot

I think the majority of Class A owners would agree that getting up to use the bathroom or grab something to eat or drink should only be done on a straightaway with little traffic. Otherwise, you're buckled up.... or should be.

As far as backing up with the toad, in 16 years of full-timing and constant driving/parking we never had the need to back up with the toad. If you get a backin site you disconnect before getting into the site and it only takes a few minutes to do so. It's no big deal.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Started with a TT in a seasonal recreation club. When retired, we bought a MH so that DW could use the bathroom or kitchen while we were traveling. Started towing a Malibu on a dolly, now tow an Edge 4 down.

pardon my ignorance, but surely travelling in a MH not sitting and belted in is both dangerous and illegal.

we debated the MH/toad vs trailer/truck and decided on the truck. if nothing else, a truck/trailer combo can be backed up, a toad, unless on a trailer itself cannot
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to pull a trailer. I can at least tell if I blow out a tire on the trailer. I have read some stories where people pulling a vehicle behind their MoHo never knew a tire blew and ran the rims off it. A TPMS system is a requirement if you go that way. All in your personal preference.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We towed 4-down with our Jeep so can't compare with a dolly. However, 4-down is super easy to hook up and disconnect and you don't even know it's back there. We've seen folks struggling with their dolly on rainy days. Doesn't look like fun.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have done the truck/TT thing. I have had a Class A. Now I have a class C.

If your truck breaks down. You are at the mercy of the emergency roadside service folks to get you to a repair shop. With a MH and toad you still have transportation should the MH break down. For me that is a big plus. I have had the truck break down once pulling a TT. It sure is a lonely feeling.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Flat towing is normally preferred because you do not have to mess with a tow dolly and you do not need to have a place to store it if it is a back in. However, there are fewer cars each year that can be flat towed so if you want a certain make or model, you may need to use a dolly.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

1nolaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jplante4 (BTW - great looking bus). Our situation would be towing a FWD Mazda Tribute that is 12 years old. It runs like a champ and is paid for and has new tires. Although it is paid for we certainly would look at replacing it if advised.

My question is more about the convenience and towing comfort comparing a dolly to 4 down. For example, as you noted , with a dolly you have to find room to store it at the CG. With 4D that is not an issue so score one for 4D.

You all collectively have much experience with both, as well as traveling without a toad all together, so I am looking to your experiences to give me guidance.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
1nolaguy wrote:
If you prefer a toad do you prefer4 down or a dolly? I realize a lot of you like Jeeps because of their off road and back country capabilities but I am looking at it from a towing and handling stand point. I look forward to you further input.

If you already have a toad that can be towed 4 down, then it's a no-brainer. If you need to buy a vehicle that can be towed, and your current vehicle is front wheel drive, then you can make the decision dolly vs. buy something. All kinds or variables there; how old is your car? can you afford something than can be towed? etc. Also, you have to store the dolly at the campground somewhere.

If your current car is rear wheel drive, you can get a Remco driveshaft disconnect and tow that. This would be cheaper and more convenient than towing it on a trailer.

We chose not to tow on our first big trip and decided that we would tow for the next trip. I did need to buy a car anyway.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

1nolaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for contributing. Your input has been terrific. Everyone added great perspective. It appears the most of you, especilly those with much experience, prefer a MH pulling a toad if you are traveling a lot with frequent changes of location. Since that looks like our future at least for the next couple of years. With that in mind let's change the question a bit.

If you prefer a toad do you prefer4 down or a dolly? I realize a lot of you like Jeeps because of their off road and back country capabilities but I am looking at it from a towing and handling stand point. I look forward to you further input.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
We have been RVing for 31 years and have owned 7 motorhomes. We much prefer to pull a small toad with a big motorhome than tow a big trailer or 5th wheel with a smaller vehicle (truck). Also prefer a sedan/SUV for sightseeing, rather than having to ride around in a truck.

As has been previously mentioned, many folks do RV with a truck and trailer or 5th wheel. Seems to me that making a decision depends a lot on how often you will RV (part time or full timing) and how long you want to stay in one location. For folks only RVing part of the year or full timers spending a lot of time at one location, a truck and trailer/5th wheel makes sense. No need to have lots of money tied up in another powertrain (motorhome) unless you plan to use it - - full time and travel a lot - - that's what we did for many years!
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
1nolaguy wrote:

Lets face it, no one relishes breaking camp every time you need to run to the store or want to go exploring.

So if you pull something, please share which you prefer and why.

For the type of traveling we do now, being able to stop for a short break and have the coach already cool or heated and having the utilities available during traveling makes our MH choice work for us. Plus, we like having our Jeep toad available to get us into some of the more difficult areas where we can hike and kayak.

Choices. That's what makes RVing and how people do it so dependent on what works for them.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a toad. Having the Jeep with us is great! We can go 4 wheeling and explore wherever we go. We have seen some great stuff with the Jeep. We have also pulled a smaller car that got 40 mpg, which is also a good thing. Either way, we prefer having a toad.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailers do not mind being parked like forever if necessary. Motors do not like that unless you mothball them.

In both cases you will need to repack bearings and change tires if they are parked long times but. Well all vehicles need that.

Motor homes like to be driven from time to time.

Now.. With either a class A or a Trailer of like size you get about the same MPG.. When towing.

But the towed car gets way better millage when compared to the Big Pickup for the trailer.. Way better. also easier to park and nicer ride when you go to town for dinner/shopping/church/whatever.

Finally I'm singing Born to be Wild (Heading down the highway) and it's raining cats and canines...... I feel the urge to "Rest" (Pull off in a rest area) IN my calss A I'm not getting wet. The poor guy with the trailer.. SOAKED.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't an issue for me, since I'm the one who needs to use the facilities more often. Because I'm the driver, I'd have to stop whether we were in a MH or pickup pulling a TT.

When driving, we always have a bag with some munchies should we need them, and a very small cooler with a few drinks in them, should we get thirsty.

Bobbo wrote:
For 10 years we drove a Class C and pulled a toad. This year we traded and now drive an F-150 towing a trailer. For me, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

The only issue for me is now, while I am driving DW can not get up and go to the restroom anymore.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch