cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First slug of RV supplies for a first timer. What do I need?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Supplying my new TT.

This is what I have on my list:

Water inlet hose
Water pressure regulator
Upgraded sewer/black line
RV level
Leveling block set
Wheel chocks
Jack cap/block
RV toilet paper
RV toilet cleaner
Black tank/toilet chemicals
Grey tank deodrizer/chemical
Scissor jack socket drill adapter

Anything else I need that is RV specific (obviously not talking about things like towels, plates, hand soap, etc).
46 REPLIES 46

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
we are experienced tent campers so that’s not the issue. clothes, food, cooking supplies, toiletries, towels, etc, we’ve got.

I just don’t want to get stuck out 200 miles from home and realize I don’t have a specific tool to fix a simple doodad. Like I’m getting a robertson screwdriver, wouldn’t have known about that.

I haven’t actually gone camping yet but we’ve slept in the trailer many times. Haven’t cooked or showered in it yet but have run the TV, water heater, furnace, water pump.

Right now I don’t have a torque wrench to reattach my trailer to my tow vehicle. So that’s on order. Then I think we’re ready to hit the road. Although I still have to read up on how I drain the black tank.

Hokie-Dave
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
I’m going to have a small corded impact wrench with up to 250 ft-lb of torque, which I’ll run off my truck. I’ll have to make sure to have the right sockets. Thanks!

That is perfect if you get into the campground at a reasonable time, just remember delays happen and you do have to make sure you can manually crank your jacks as well. Other campers won't take well to an impact wrench at midnight. 🙂
dave
2017 Thor Chateau 26B

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m going to have a small corded impact wrench with up to 250 ft-lb of torque, which I’ll run off my truck. I’ll have to make sure to have the right sockets. Thanks!

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Supplying my new TT.

Water inlet hose
Water pressure regulator
RV level
Leveling block set
Wheel chocks
Jack cap/block
RV toilet paper
RV toilet cleaner

Anything else I need that is RV specific (obviously not talking about things like towels, plates, hand soap, etc).

make sure you can jack up your tt before you have to. it can be surprisingly difficult to change a tyre. and its not a question of if you'll have to change one, its more a question of how soon. so make sure you carry sockets and a power bar. it will likely need two socket sizes, one for the lug nuts and another size for the spare tyre carrier. make it easy with a 2 ft 1/2 inch drive power bar, don't try to use a little 3/8 drive ratchet.
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised it wasn't already said unless I completely missed it.
Search the forum, beginners & general subjects. There's more "beginner lists" than you'll be able to read in a week.

Having said that, and you already having your starter list, my #1 recommendation is some method of making notes so the next time out you don't forget whateveritis. A bit embarrassing to forget that whateveritis the 2d time around. Causes problems with the better half when you forget the 3d time and it's hers...

Enjoy!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you bought everything suggested you would need a semi to bring it all along with you.

This from a guy who carries a spare trailer axle & a couple of brake drums with bearings mounted around.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
I missed this topic when it started a few days ago. After reading all the lists, I'd recommend only this to a new trailer owner.

Use KISS method - keep it simple. Bring the MINIMUM you need at first.
You need to be able to level and chock the trailer.
You need power.
You need to be able to store, cook, eat food and clean up after.
You need a source of drinking water.
You need to be able to empty your tanks.

Now, get a notebook or the electronic equivalent, and GO CAMPING.
Repeat three times.
Note on your list those things you needed and didn't have.
Note on your list those things you did not bring that would have made things more comfortable.
Note on your list those things you brought and didn't need.
Walk around the campground and ask other campers if you see something they have that looks handy or useful. We all love to show off our toys and ideas.

Now you have YOUR list.
Dave

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
so i need a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter; and a 20 amp male to 30 amp female adapter; and the linked 30 amp surge protector?

Yes, you've got it here! However... If your camper is 30 AMP and you know the campground you are going to has a 30 amp service at your camp site, then you REALLY do not NEED a 50 to 30 amp adapter. Why?

The only time you'll use a 50 to 30 amp adapter is if you happen to land at a campsite that ONLY has 50 amp. That's when you NEED the adapter.

In 25 years of RV ownership, I've used my 50 to 30 amp adapter only once! Now granted! I was VERY glad I had it. But if you know the campsite is 30 amp, you don't need it.

Going the other way, it's helpful (but not necessary) to have a 20 to 30 for your 30 amp camper. This way, you can plug into any household plug (although you'll only have 20 amp service, unless the plug is wired for 30 amp.... most are not though).

I've used several 20 to 30 adapters many, many, many times. Especially plugging into the in-laws barn that did have a 30 amp (household plug), perfect for when we visited them.

Surge protectors are a nice insurance. My pop-up and my first 2 trailers, never had one. My third, I bought 3 now. First one died, second one got stolen, 3rd one is now inside the camper (they were portable - plug in at the pedestal type).

Necessary? No, but do offer peace of mind.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
so i need a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter; and a 20 amp male to 30 amp female adapter; and the linked 30 amp surge protector?

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
Supplying my new TT.

Water inlet hose
Water pressure regulator
RV level
Leveling block set
Wheel chocks
Jack cap/block
RV toilet paper
RV toilet cleaner

These are all reasonable except do not need the RV toilet cleaner and grey tank stabilizer. Make sure you buy screens to fit your outside vents IE: furnace vent, water heater vent and fridge vent. You can get on Amazon under $10 each and will prevent mice, mud wasps and other insects from getting in those appliances and building nests that can cause major problems. IMO-- the #1 MOST important accessory that is a must have is a quality EMS or Electrical Management system like Progresive Industries. Don't just get a surge protector. They do NOT protect your expensive appliances from UNDER voltage which is more common than surges caused by a lightening strikes. I cannot tell you how many campgrounds we have been to that this device has shut down power to our TT because of under or over voltage. Also protects against reverse polarity, neutral ground and other common problems with campground pedestals. Look up Progressive Industries EMS on Amazon and read the hundreds of testimonials from customers on this device. Runs about $250 but a mere fraction of the cost of a new fridge, AC unit, microwave or TV.

Thanks for that tip, not something I would have thought of. A few questions about it:

- my trailer runs on 30A. Do I buy the 30A model? What if the park has 50A or 20A and I am using a converter to my trailer, would I still use the 30A model?

- do you recommend the portable or hardwired versions? Portable looks easier to deal with.

- I’m not an electrician. What is the difference between a ‘surge’ and ‘high voltage’? What exactly am I protecting against? If I plug into my home 110V do i still need this?

Get the 30A portable. It has a security hasp so get a cable padlock to lock it to pedestal or TT bumper

All CG's have 30A and 50A plugs in their pedestals. You will need the 30A. totally different plugs so no worries.
The Progressive EMS has a LIFETIME warranty and made in the US! It has a constant LED readout that flashes volts cycles and amps as well as any error code to tell you why it shut down. When problem is rectified or volts are within safe range, it automatically turns your power back on to your TT.
A power surge is rare and usually when there is an electrical storm or lightening nearby. Over or under voltage is much more common and will damage your electronics and appliances if you do not have an EMS to shut down the power when these problems occur! Ours saved our bacon on both under voltage on one NY State park and under voltage on another NY State Park last summer!
Let me know how you like it next season!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:

- my trailer runs on 30A. Do I buy the 30A model? What if the park has 50A or 20A and I am using a converter to my trailer, would I still use the 30A model?

You want a 30A EMS like Progressive Industries Portable EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector. Expensive, but cheap insurance. Buy a 15A/20A AND a 50A adapter, because you never know what you are going to run into at an RV park.

I recommend you take some light nylon cord/bungee cords/zip ties to make sure that the connections in and out are SECURE ! A roll of good quality (3M Scotch 33) electrical tape is also a good idea.

rvshrinker wrote:
- I’m not an electrician. What is the difference between a ‘surge’ and ‘high voltage’? What exactly am I protecting against? If I plug into my home 110V do i still need this?

A "surge" is a very short short, but often very high, voltage spike. Not good for electronic items such as microwaves or televisions.

Probably NOT required for connection to your house, but a good idea just to stay in practice.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
temccarthy1 wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
Supplying my new TT.

Water inlet hose
Water pressure regulator
RV level
Leveling block set
Wheel chocks
Jack cap/block
RV toilet paper
RV toilet cleaner

These are all reasonable except do not need the RV toilet cleaner and grey tank stabilizer. Make sure you buy screens to fit your outside vents IE: furnace vent, water heater vent and fridge vent. You can get on Amazon under $10 each and will prevent mice, mud wasps and other insects from getting in those appliances and building nests that can cause major problems. IMO-- the #1 MOST important accessory that is a must have is a quality EMS or Electrical Management system like Progresive Industries. Don't just get a surge protector. They do NOT protect your expensive appliances from UNDER voltage which is more common than surges caused by a lightening strikes. I cannot tell you how many campgrounds we have been to that this device has shut down power to our TT because of under or over voltage. Also protects against reverse polarity, neutral ground and other common problems with campground pedestals. Look up Progressive Industries EMS on Amazon and read the hundreds of testimonials from customers on this device. Runs about $250 but a mere fraction of the cost of a new fridge, AC unit, microwave or TV.

Thanks for that tip, not something I would have thought of. A few questions about it:

- do you recommend the portable or hardwired versions? Portable looks easier to deal with.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my take on essentials for that first trip:

http://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Supplying my new TT.

Water inlet hose
Water pressure regulator
RV level
Leveling block set
Wheel chocks
Jack cap/block
RV toilet paper
RV toilet cleaner

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch