cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black beans

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
So we ate a new Mexican Restaurant the other night (in Plymouth, Mi; not near any camping) and they had the BEST black beans I have ever eaten ! Now admittedly, I am not much of a cook and when ever we have black beans in a casserole We just open a can, rinse and dump.

I am guessing the restaurant cooked them from dried beans nut they must have done something different ! Cooked them in chicken stock ? I don't know. Any one a Mexican chef ?
7 REPLIES 7

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Pinto's made with ham bone , cornbread with butter dripping off it. MMMMMMMMMMM

down home wrote:
Black beans and kidney beans seem so much like wax, unless you add lots of other things.
Maybe Meiko has a diffferent variety? 🙂
Enjoy whatever foods you like. Raised in the hills it was pinto, white, navy and several others. Grand Ma had maybe 30 varieties of dried in big glass jars in the cellar, maybe more.
McCasalins half in shellies are outrageous.
Do Mexicans put oats in their hamburger like some chain here?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Black beans and kidney beans seem so much like wax, unless you add lots of other things.
Maybe Meiko has a diffferent variety? 🙂
Enjoy whatever foods you like. Raised in the hills it was pinto, white, navy and several others. Grand Ma had maybe 30 varieties of dried in big glass jars in the cellar, maybe more.
McCasalins half in shellies are outrageous.
Do Mexicans put oats in their hamburger like some chain here?

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
There are many manufacturers of canned black beans. You might try various stores and even health food stores for canned beans. I like to pour out the goop, fill with water, shake and dump. Do this 2 times and perhaps they will taste better.

Had not thought about cumin per BK...... but we do add chopped cilantro.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I HAVE to head south again, Mexican restaurants are scarce here, well except for TacoBell. Black bean salsa MMMMmmm especially good on huevas rancheros.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Do you eat there from time to time?

Actually it was the first time for the wife and I, but my son choose the place and has eaten there a lot.

I will be going back. The chicken enchiladas verdes were also fantastic.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add Cumin and either bacon grease or lard. Maybe a can of chili’s.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Do you eat there from time to time? I've usually gotten most of the tips on how items were cooked just by asking. They don't give quantities but I can figure that part out. One of my favorite Mexican food places made great carnitas. When I asked about it, they said that they cooked it in Coke. So, if you can go by there again, order it again and ask. Make a big deal about how great they are and they are usually proud enough to dish a little information.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk