cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pizza stone for oven

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a pizza stone to put in my oven and make it bake better. I'm a little confused about where to put it in the oven. Does it go on the rack underneath whatever I'm baking or does it go lower down, just on top of the metal plate that covers the burner?
19 REPLIES 19

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
charming wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I used the oven some on our last trip and it is really horrible.

I have a round grill pan similar to the one above, would the coating be a problem placing it directly on the heat?

Would likely work, but our unglazed round pizza stone works great. Sit right on top of the existing metal defuser, yes crackedright down the center first use, but pushed together and works great for defusing Heat.

Funny you mention that. Our old pizza stone is in 2 pieces too. We just push the 2 back together. The dumb oven doesn't know the difference
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
I put it on the rack that I'm cooking the pizza on. Putting the pizza on the stone.

This is fine. If you're cooking a pizza. Otherwise I put it on the metal diffuser thingy you mentioned. Been doing that for 14 years
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Little Kopit wrote:
cast iron circular griddle. 10" or more

๐Ÿ˜›

Double ditto. Won't break, achieves the same goal and multitasks for other recipes. Ours is a square Lodge cast iron griddle.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, placed the tile/pizza stone on the metal diffuser right above the burner in the oven. Distributes the heat very well and no more burned items on the bottom. Have done it this way for ten years. Good luck!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
cast iron circular griddle. 10" or more

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I think putting a heat diffuser (pizza stone) above the burner and below the oven rack holding the food is the way to go. As others have said a pizza stone will crack down the center on first use. Push the pieces together and it will continue to work just fine.

If I were to get a replacement stone I'd put it on a cooling rack to create a small air gap between the burner and the stone. You can get cooling racks at your dollar store. I think this would prevent the stone from breaking.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
charming wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I used the oven some on our last trip and it is really horrible.

I have a round grill pan similar to the one above, would the coating be a problem placing it directly on the heat?

Would likely work, but our unglazed round pizza stone works great. Sit right on top of the existing metal defuser, yes crackedright down the center first use, but pushed together and works great for defusing Heat.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

charming
Explorer
Explorer

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Mine is sitting on the steel difusser plate right above the burner. Some people also place them on the bottom rack. Your choice as the idea is mass.

X2
Mass/defuser for the heat from the burner, we like Papa Murphy pizza and we would burn the center of the pizza, and bottom of cookies before the tops were cooked, since the stone oven works 100% better!

X3, that's what I do.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
missouri dave wrote:
D.E. I thought of doing the same thing with a cast iron griddle.

That's what I use and it doesn't break in transit. It's a dual purpose Lodge.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Forget pizza stone.. They break and are expensive IMO..

I went to target and got a cast iron griddle.. I put it right ontop of the diffuser..

Works great.. Pre heat pre heat pre heat...

https://www.target.com/p/char-broil-174-cast-iron-10-5-square-grilling-topper-reversible/-/A-5004779...

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
We use an 'Air Bake' pan ..cookie sheet.. just fits in bottom rack. Works well not expensive and a lot lighter. JM2ยข YMMV

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We put ours on the metal above the burner. Just make sure you don't block the holes. Not intended to cook on, just disperse the heat evenly. An unglazed terra cotta tile will work as well.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We had absolute success in using a stone on the diffuser plate on the bottom of the oven. Unfortunately the stone broke and I haven't replaced since we bought the Winnie.

In as much as the principle is to disperse the heat evenly and in better quality that is done by using thicker metal in the oven floor and most cookware uses thicker metal of different types, wouldn't a 1/4" sheet of aluminum work as well as a pizza stone?

I actually have a stovetop griddle that fits in the oven perfectly and seems to resist warping on the uneven stovetop burners or open fire in the fire ring so why not use that. I just thought of this yesterday after the DW was baking some brownies and she was worried about burning them without her stone. She did by the way, a beautiful job of making the brownies, not dry and not gooey, just perfectly chewy.

I know stones are expensive and a unglazed terra cotta tile will work great but we already have the grill and it is virtually indestructible so why not us that.

LOL, our stone cracked right down the center first time we used, now just make sure the halves are together before baking, still work great.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"