cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New compact 5000 BTU air conditioner coming next spring

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to begin my enclosed utility trailer / mini camper conversion project. I haven't decided on a rooftop air conditioner or using a 5000 to 7000 BTU home window unit mounted on a sliding tray with a baggage hatch mounted to the side wall of the trailer to cover the opening when the tray in slid inside.

Then I came across a YouTube video for a new type of portable 5000 BTU air conditioning unit to be introduced next spring. Looks like it has interesting potential for the possible use in travel trailers as a supplemental air conditioning unit in lieu of a indoor upright portable. One could easily make an adapter so that the unit could be mounted through some existing travel trailer windows. It would require removal of the sliding accordian window filler sections and cutting out the adapters so that you could use the four screw holes of the basic frame portion to mount to the adapter.

For my use I could install a small baggage door, remove the accordion portion from the frame and mount the rest of the frame from the inside of the opening.

Noria 5000 BTU portable window air conditioner
25 REPLIES 25

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Rover,
The current you stated on the Frigidaire A/C, 350W, is that measured?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

roverlife
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be more inclined to go with a conventional design and maybe give up those extra 5" of space. Here is the install I did on our unit... 5000 BTU and only 350 Watts, can't beat those numbers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duua4EVesos

This combo of a 900W Yamaha inverter generator and the Fridgidaire 5000 BTU wall unit will get you 9 hours of cooling for only 0.6 gallons of gas. I doubt any kickstarter unit will be beating that anytime soon. I even worked with a Chinese rooftop AC company to get a 5000 BTU unit designed and manufactured, and for $700/unit they still were at a 500W draw. I'll stick with a tried and tested $120 wall unit.....

Frigidaire 5000BTU A/C Unit ON SALE @ $119:
http://amzn.to/2Aln0kp

Yamaha 1000W Inverter Generator ON SALE @ $790:
http://amzn.to/2y5ka1s

CHOP TOP RANGE ROVER CLASSIC
4.2L V8 W/ ALL FIBERGLASS '76 SUNRADER
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/ROVERLIFE

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 5000 btu unit in my home built 8 x 12 T.T. However it is very well insulated.Works fine.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I used a 5000btu in my 18ft TT. I used the emergency window with a plastic corrugated cutout. The window sat slanted over the top edge of the unit and I built a shelf that hung off the window ledge with a support. It was all portable and worked great. With my Honda 2000 it would run on econ for 14 hours.

Now with my 24ft TT and two slides it doesn't work. The emergency window is in the bedroom slide which would be perfect. The problem is that the slide vibrates with the window A/C.

This Chinese version would work well in an rv bedroom. I wonder if it can be mounted sideways as well?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
A simple window unit will work fine if you insulate your trailer project really well. It will also be super cheap/easy to replace later if it ever dies.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

daka320
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a small a/c window unit from Home Depot a few years ago. Installed it in the bottom back half of our pop-up we had then. Cut a hole and used garage door opener brackets to secure it. Did a wonderful job for around $100. Probably was the cheap Chinese junk, but it never broke!
2014 Eclipse Evolution T225
2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5 4 WD

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it works it will be great but, 5000 BTU is not much.

I would wait until there are some of the market and read the reviews before I buy. But, that is just me. Some people are early adaptors, I am not.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
So, I see people posting about their 13500 BTU and 15000 BTU air conditioning not quite keeping up with the heat and looking for information on some supplemental Cooling. I see an interesting new product, a 5000 BTU air conditioner that they could easily add to an existing trailer without cutting additional holes in it or using inefficient floor models that take up floor space. I got a couple of positive comments along with one about Chinese junk air conditioners by a guy that got flipped over on his head while riding in a motorcycle sidecar along with an argument about Mexican unions. Why would I not expect anything else on this forum.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I put a 5000 btu unit in a 6 x 14 v nose cargo trailer conversion a few years ago. It really struggled to keep it cool when outside temps got above 85. A rooftop 13.5k unit would have been preferable.
The project was fun. Enjoy.

Thanks. I'm going to be building a 7 x 14 conversion and I'm only interested in cooling the front half where I'll be sleeping. The trailer will have doors at the rear and the back half will be open with insect netting across the opening during warmer weather. Once I'm setup that's where my kitchen will be since most of my cooking will be outdoors anyway. I'll be building a cabinet with sink that swings 90° so it will take up most of the opening. If I felt the need to cool the entire trailer I'd probably go with a 7000 to 8000 btu. I have a pop up with an AC on top that I've never used. The conversion will be replacing it.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
Mexico has unions too. However, they haven't priced themselves out of the market allowing workers to continue to have jobs, homes, cars, just like in the U.S. We may have a lower economic level of living but our economy and our middle class are growing. Look at the facts.

Fact is Mexican "unions" are not real unions.

Clicky

It depends on your definition and your culture. I'm not here to argue about unions but these are some more realistic facts. BTW, I'm sending a letter to Dave Welch regarding his facts and figures.

What was not taken into account are the following benefits required by law (and of course one may say that they really don't get paid, but, oh yes they do):

INFONAVIT points accumulated towards a low-interest government backed home loan. (I happen to have had one).

Free healthcare, no premiums, no payments and includes bypass, kidney and heart transplants.

Profit sharing - all non-governmental companies (excluding non-profit) provide a juicy check every year.

Dispensa or food coupons that are used at any supermarket.

This adds up to quite a bit over a year's time but are never included in income statistics for Mexico.

(notice in the upper right hand corner it says "Bloomberg")
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Mexico has unions too. However, they haven't priced themselves out of the market allowing workers to continue to have jobs, homes, cars, just like in the U.S. We may have a lower economic level of living but our economy and our middle class are growing. Look at the facts.

Fact is Mexican "unions" are not real unions.

Clicky
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 5000 btu unit in a 6 x 14 v nose cargo trailer conversion a few years ago. It really struggled to keep it cool when outside temps got above 85. A rooftop 13.5k unit would have been preferable.
The project was fun. Enjoy.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Maybe Hencho Mexico with their cheap labor....eh?
I thought "eh" was a Canuck thing.

Those closer to the equator, I'd expect to make better air conditioners. They have more incentive.

But, tell us. Do you have an air conditioner in your camper? Is it US made, and which brand/model? Or were you just attacking Chinese manufactured one on general principal?

BTW, ITYM "hecho," not "Hencho." Although, that's not unexpected from someone who thinks LG (aka Lucky Goldstar) is from China, not Korea.

No, I don't have an air conditioner in my camper. Far as you other comments. Take a look around at how the Chinese and Mexico have impacted the employment market in Michigan.

Hencho, Hecho, you got the point and Asia is Asia to me....

You won't find LG in this home. Whirlpool from Clyde, Ohio, thank you. I support American workers. You should too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB