cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a truck...

Scott_in_GB
Explorer
Explorer
So, after a decade of having a big trailer on a permanent site as our mini cabin for the family, my wife and I are looking at a couples coach travel trailer. We are looking at a 25' or less ultra-lite travel trailer and I am hoping to keep the trailer under 8500 GVWR.

So, with that said I am looking to buy a truck. I am looking at either new or late model used crew cab. I would really prefer a 1/2 Ton, but we plan on taking this camper all over the country and that includes the mountains. I want to make sure that whatever I buy can handle long trips and mountain grades. I really don't want to spend more than say $45K and less than that if possible. We tend to keep vehicles for a long time, so I am looking at this as a 8-10 year investment.

Finding unbiased information on trucks is almost impossible. Trucks brands have their diehard fans and it is tough to sort through all the chafe and find good recommendations. I am open to all of the full size truck manufacturers.

What are your recommendations and why???

Thanks for your assistance!

Scott
Scott

2004 Hornet 29H
---still looking for tow vehicle---
48 REPLIES 48

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
ScottG wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Get a 2500. There really is no downside and the upsides are many

X2.
You wont complain that a truck is too capable.
Agree, 2500 or F250. Any of the big three will do.

X3 on this. I have pulled our 33 ft travel trailer loaded to camp at approx 7500 lbs with my 2000 f150 5.4 gasser with no problems for several thousand miles. BUT 4 months ago I bought a f250 super duty with 6.2 liter gas. No comparison. Suspension, engine, transmission all heavy duty the camper now feels like a utility trailer behind me

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Glenda2014 wrote:
Thanks....I just knew this question had probably been asked 100 times.....I like everyone else wants to get the right truck the first time.....I've got six more months to research before making a decision...thanks

A 1/2 ton will pull that TT just fine. Be aware that F-150s, even the same year and engine, can vary greatly in their towing capabilities, with a number of different configurations and payload capacities. Get one with the factory HD towing package.

That is a nice little trailer. 78 gallon FW tank suggests boondocking...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks....I just knew this question had probably been asked 100 times.....I like everyone else wants to get the right truck the first time.....I've got six more months to research before making a decision...thanks
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Glenda2014 wrote:
Okay then.....you all agree ...lol.....that the f150 could pull my fully loaded 6500 lb. trailer just fine? I've been waffling between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton....
I too appreciate all of your knowledge and responses. I have a great 20fq Creekside trailer ready to go, but no truck....a small budget , about $15000.

?? :h
Maybe I messed up but isn't this a thread started by Scott in GB.
If you have a question you will get a better/larger number of responses by starting your own topic.

Itโ€™s ok Jim. We have enoughโ€ can my half ton pull a 3-4 ton trailer?โ€ Threads.
If she got her question answered itโ€™s cool.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
If you have a toy hauler, it is much heavier than a travel trailer. My 22โ€™ TH was 7500 lbs dry and 11,500 lbs loaded.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Most under 25' TTs are going to be nowhere near 8500 lb. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were any. The TT in my sig, which is not an ultralite by any stretch--traditional stick and tin walls, T&G plywood floor, etc.--is 26' bumper to ball, 5100 dry with a GVWR of 6400 lb.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There a lots of right answers. For the West, you have to account for long steep grades. I like a one ton truck with a diesel to tow everything. I would buy used now. For two people there are plenty of great light trailers under 6,000 pounds in the 22-25 foot range that will fit in the old campgrounds better than larger rigs.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Glenda2014 wrote:
Okay then.....you all agree ...lol.....that the f150 could pull my fully loaded 6500 lb. trailer just fine? I've been waffling between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton....
I too appreciate all of your knowledge and responses. I have a great 20fq Creekside trailer ready to go, but no truck....a small budget , about $15000.

?? :h
Maybe I messed up but isn't this a thread started by Scott in GB.
If you have a question you will get a better/larger number of responses by starting your own topic.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Get a 2500. There really is no downside and the upsides are many

X2.
You wont complain that a truck is too capable.
Agree, 2500 or F250. Any of the big three will do.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from a F150 that logged over 10,000 miles towing a 35' TT with a dry weight of 8k lbs, I can assure you that a half ton is very capable tow vehicle. I wouldn't trade my half ton because of that trailer but I wouldn't run out and buy one specifically to tow that trailer, either. Why worry about payloads and stress to your drive train if you don't have to? Get a 3/4 ton and rest a little easier.

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking, if you keep the trailer weight below 7000#, a half ton will do the job with ease. If you are going to 8800# gross weight, half ton will be marginal depending on how much you load the trailer. If you load it up to around 7500#, most half tons will still do the job. If you load it more than that, a 3/4 ton will be best for the job. I just upgraded my truck because my trailer is rated for 8800# and I was over 7500#. I was maxed out on payload, so upgraded to 3/4 ton.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
heres my input, we have a 27 Fleetwood with the big slide at about 6000to 6500 ready to camp I tow with a 2010 gmc 1/2 ton crew cab short box with the 53 and the tow package. I have no problems what so ever, I can go up any hill at 70 mph or more if needed. I can go down 4 mile steep down grades at a steady 55 and almost never touch my brakes. i can tow at 70mph if needed and very stable. I get 12 - 15 towing depending on terrain and 23 not towing hi-way. the truck sets a little lower than the 3/4 ton and rides smoother, i'm older now and done with having to clime into the cab. its an every day driver for us and we use it a lot for traveling not towing. your most likely going to be 6000 or under with a 25ft. trailer. think about the big picture what your going to generally use the truck for.
Jay D.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL, sticky subject for sure, which brand...

Quick story, my brother worked for a fertilizer/chemical company that supplied products and services to farmers. They had a fleet of pickups, perhaps a dozen new ones at any given time. They tried all 3 (GM/Ford/RAM).. these trucks went in fields, towed heavy, were generally worked hard. He told me that if they could take the best of each brand and combine them into one truck, it would be the ultimate, except not everyone agreed on the best parts... they each had their preferences.

My wife and I prefer GM full size rigs. We have friends that love their Ram or Ford trucks.

It really is personal preference. We are fortunate, my wife and I like the same. If we had different opinions, someone would have to compromise.