cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI replacement on inverter (update) need some more advice

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can it be done. I see a few pop rivets holding the inverter cover on . The inverter is mounted under the sink and difficult to remove ,being on the road with limited tools doesn't help. It's a Levitron part. This inverter is for nothing more than the outlet in the entertainment center to run the TV when not plugged into ground power or generator?

So i found Mike's mobile RV service at the race track ,he is from Bakersfield . He looked at the inverter and said that he has never seen one with a GFI switch on it, maybe a GFI with a receptacle to plug something into it, but not what I have.

I asked him to come and look at my reefer because when i opened the door to start dinner the door fell off. The plastic part on the bottom that sits on a small pin to swivel on, call it a hinge pin if you like , broke. The door needs to be replaced . He thought he had a used one but he didn't . Ordered one on the net and it should be here before I leave for Vegas on Wednesday. Shameless plugs allowed? Mike is a real decent and fair man, if you need something and are in that area I wouldn't hesitate to use him.
15 REPLIES 15

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked out!
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
josslund wrote:
I have one I just removed from my Winnabago, if it would help you. Let me know and we'll figure out the details.

That's very generous of you. I have shipped mine back for a rebuild and it should be returning next week.

Received a memo stating the inverter was received at their facility and a few days later it was at my door, great service. Had it installed in short time before my next trip and it works perfect. The previous one did not have outlets on the front, only the GFI. This GFI has the outlets and is perfect for my early morning coffee grind without having to use the Genny or unplug the entertainment components to access a plug.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
josslund wrote:
I have one I just removed from my Winnabago, if it would help you. Let me know and we'll figure out the details.

That's very generous of you. I have shipped mine back for a rebuild and it should be returning next week.

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
I may not be saying this right, but I think you have a Pass Through (or maybe should be called Transfer Switch) Inverter. In other words, one that passes 120 VAC from Shore Tie or Generator to the outlet for the TV. Then if there is not 120 VAC to pass through, it creates it from 12 VDC as an Inverter. This one at Amazon is a PSW Inverter with Transfer Switch: It is hard wired in and out, does not have its own outlet. I don't know if you can use a GFI outlet with it. GFI poses two questions: 1. Will it work properly in Pass Through? and 2. Will it work properly in Inverter Mode?

Spoke to Kyle at Don Rowe and he didn't have a direct replacement but he turned me to the manufacturer who told me they will rebuild the original one. After this trip i will send it out.

The fridge door came today. Wife and i swapped out the front panel and cardboard and had it installed in 15 minutes. Fridge is on, after it cools all night going to load it up and head to the races in Las Vegas.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
I may not be saying this right, but I think you have a Pass Through (or maybe should be called Transfer Switch) Inverter. In other words, one that passes 120 VAC from Shore Tie or Generator to the outlet for the TV. Then if there is not 120 VAC to pass through, it creates it from 12 VDC as an Inverter. This one at Amazon is a PSW Inverter with Transfer Switch: It is hard wired in and out, does not have its own outlet. I don't know if you can use a GFI outlet with it. GFI poses two questions: 1. Will it work properly in Pass Through? and 2. Will it work properly in Inverter Mode?

The inverter I have does exactly what you stated. It plugs into a wall socket under the sink, it has battery leads coming in and 120 going out to the plugs in the front of the coach.
Once again you have nailed it, thanks for the information.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to replace the inverter, the one in there now is a Sensata Technologies WIN 12 300TL 300 Watt Inverter. It has a GFI on the front. I am having a problem finding an inverter to replace the original one. Space limitations and original wiring is my concern. The ones I am finding have outlets on the front, do they still have hard wiring going out the back.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
It's still just a common GFCI outlet. Just pick one up from Home Depot and replace it.

Ok, I took the inverter cover off and replaced the GFI. It will not reset, I have a green light on the GFI but no power coming out of the GFI. I measured the voltage coming into the GFI and it fluctuates. I have 12 volts going into the inverter. I have 120 volts going into the inverter.

My guess is the inverter has issues. What's troubling is I plugged the satellite dish box and the TV to ground power and I get nothing. Oh boy.

UPDATE:

Removed TV, I have an entertainment center in the front of my coach VS a overhead bunk. The Tv and satellite dish were plugged into another receptacle which was also powered by the Inverter. I checked everything out and fired up the dish. TV will work off the generator power . Heading off to the race in Vegas so I won't be using the TV much anyhow. Hope all my posts help someone else.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
the GFCI reacts so fast you won't even feel a tingle
I have gotten across a live circuit, and thankfully it had a GFCI. You definitely will get a good jolt.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That may be. IF the unit can pass SHORE power then the GFCI would be indicated.

THe job of the GFCI is simple.. IT measures current in both the black and white leads. if they are the same, it is happy but if it detects more current in the black than the white.. CLICK and darkness happens.

Mains power (Shore) the neutral is bonded to ground. so if there is a short between the hot lead and the case of the device you are holding.. YOU become a return path. the GFCI reacts so fast you won't even feel a tingle.

BUT the inverter... is not normally bonded to ground.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
The interesting part is that GFCI is not required on an inverter circuit.. BUt hey.. They put 'em there.

Wife just asked me if they put a ground fault on it because of it's location to the sink.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ill replace once I get home. Kind of nice not having the TV on anyway.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The interesting part is that GFCI is not required on an inverter circuit.. BUt hey.. They put 'em there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times