cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel Balance Problems

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Oops. Internet went down and the edit got lost.

Anyway, the front wheels can’t be balanced, so the thinking is that there is a bad tire. Swapping front and rear wheels should prove this out.
Steve
8 REPLIES 8

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
I had the local Mercedes-Benz people try to balance the front wheels to no avail. They were the third shop that attempted to get it right. I had them install Michelin LTX M/S on the front just like the ones I put on my 2009 Navion. Not only did that solve the shimmy, but the ride and steering improved noticeably. Although there are only 6,400 miles on the original tires, I am inclined to replace the four rear tires as well. I may as well enjoy the 'better' tires now rather than wait. I was told by the technician that worked on the tires that he has seen a number of Continental tires on Sprinters come through the shop that just can't be balanced. Their machine measured load force, something the two previous tire shops did not have. Now I have to figure out what to do with six tires. They are fine, as long as you don't drive faster than 55 MPH.
Steve

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
About tire rotation......

I am of the school to leave the rear tires alone. I let them wear naturally undisturbed, and they wear extremely well and evenly leaving them alone. Tire rotation could distribute the weight across the 4 rear tires unevenly which might encourage rear tire blow-out. If the front tires are the matter at hand, just replace them more frequently.

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
I observed this wear on the original Continental tires on our 2009 Navion (Sprinter 3500 170"WB). Even after diligent rotations, I found it necessary to replace them at 40,000 miles while on the road during the winter. The Michelin LTX M/S2 tires exhibited no uneven wear. Both sets of tires free of any vibration and steered straight. The Michelin tires improved ride quality and traction.

The 2018 Navion (same Sprinter chassis and Continental tires) has had a shimmy since day one. Loading has no effect. Handling is normal and steers straight. Various tire pressures have no effect. First tire shop balanced the tires and made an improvement, let's say about 50%. Up to about 60 MPH, it feels OK. Above that speed it actually hurts my hands. The second tire shop 1,400 miles into my trip, placed wheel weights not only on the inside diameter, but outside as well. That made another incremental improvement to where it was tolerable for the next 2,000 miles.

I was out in the driveway jacking up the Navion with the intention of rotating the front wheel with the outside rear wheel one side at a time to prove that the problem is either a bad tire or wheel. I got as far as testing the front wheels for anything out of round. Micrometer perfect. Then I caught myself and said, "Why in the world should I be doing this? The RV dealer sold me a new RV and this should never have left the factory." Or, at least the driver who drove the almost 2,000 miles from Iowa to Oregon should have said something about how bad it shook. The dealer would not have a reason to take it out on the open road miles away from their location, so it is not their fault. I am going to wait for some official direction from the dealer and/or Winnebago on this issue before I take any action of my own.

The essential difference between the 2009 and the 2018 Navion is that the OEM tires (front and rear outside) were re-fitted onto alloy wheels. It looks like Winnebago is using the Alcoa alloy wheels on many of their products, so I would assume that the wheel has been properly vetted for being a direct replacement for the stock steel wheels. Bad tire from the factory or damage from refitting?

There are about 6,500 miles on the odometer right now; 4,500 uncomfortable miles of my own. if I knew that the tires were at fault, I would put 6 (or 7) new Michelin tires on now. Why not? I do like the way they ride and why not enjoy them from now on since I intend to put some miles on the RV. I remember when we were in Albuquerque and I stopped in at Discount tires and had new Michelins put on all around. By the time we reached Flagstaff, Arizona, I was saying, "Daddy's got new shoes!" Maybe it is not so dramatic and everything is subjective, but I noticed the improvement. And, after enough miles on the clock I noticed the absence of scrubbing on the tread. Another aspect that I just remembered was that the Michelins did not have the same tendency as the Continentals for wandering side to side from irregularities in the pavement such as rutting from studded tires. (They blame that on big trucks. If that was true, why do the ruts match the track of cars?) All that being said, I should not have to buy new tires for a new RV because I have to, only if I want to.
Steve

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
If your front end goes up and down a lot on the open road due to an unavoidable improper load between the front and rear axle (too much in back, not enough up front) the front tires will develop a strange uneven wear called "scalloping". That creates symptoms of either a shimmy, improper wheel balance, or a cyclic vibration. The solution is buying new front tires, but it will just happen again.

Our rig has what I described to you. With 35,000 miles of such tire abuse, our scalloped front tires are pretty bad now. Before buying new front tires, I will experiment rotating the front tires with each other and see if any improvement is noticed. Reverse scalloping the tires will likely cause hell, but I am hoping it will cancel out the condition. It worked on our first rig, but our E350 chassis is very different from our old Toyota chassis.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, What's the Latest on This?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get it winnie and THEY SHOULD fix this.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong wheels, hitting the brake calipers or something else, is a very bad situation that should have been caught when the wheels were first installed. It does happen and has happened to me when using / trying different rims on different vehicles, but I could tell instantly. You are being treated unfairly - simply by whom ever mounted those wrong wheels/rims and not realizing it. Just plain wrong...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like you got the wrong rims on this rig ,yep there pretty but won,t do the job, I think winnie should fix this.