cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

planning the next Southeast TC Gathering

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to start planning the next gathering of truck camper enthusiasts here in the southeast! I'm thinking sometime in March or April. But where? We've been to Smoky Bear CG near Gatlinburg twice and they were excellent hosts. Do we want to return there or does anyone have any suggestions on another place to meet? Desirable features are a central location, reservable sites, an inside or at least covered area to meet, and nearby points of interest. I checked a year or two ago on Monte Sano State Park near Huntsville, AL. Seemed like a nice campground with a pavilion in the camping area but I've never been there. Maybe a good excuse for a weekend trip for me and the DH :B
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads
50 REPLIES 50

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
billyg wrote:
Hi we are leaving the cold to find summer. Heading to Fla. to visit family. Stepping out of the plane only to get the blast of hot air. What a rush! How do they stand the heat? Bill
If the temp should get up to 40 degrees around here I think we would all roast. Day temps in the 20s and 30s have been the norm lately.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we are leaving the cold to find summer. Heading to Fla. to visit family. Stepping out of the plane only to get the blast of hot air. What a rush! How do they stand the heat? Bill

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
We're down to just 3 months to go. Snowed here yesterday. Won't get above freezing here until Thursday. I'm ready for Spring!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Sango
Explorer
Explorer
So close yet so far away. ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 3500 Dodge Laramie DRW 4 X 4
2019 Bigoot 25C10.4
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Just four months to go!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Smoky Bear Campground has closed for the season but are still available for reservations. Looking good so far!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Yippie! Clicky Linky ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
The dates are set - April 13-15! See the thread under Rallies, Shows, & Gatherings for more information. Please post any further comments or questions on that thread, not here so I only have to keep up with one. Thanks!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Just waiting on the CG to confirm availability for my selected dates.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to the event. Just need to make those dates we discussed official and get them announced.

Just for reference for a fall gathering or 2019 event, there is http://www.palmettocove.com/ near Table Rock in SC. They are really set up for doing rallies. Airstream group has one there every year with over 100 rigs. I'll have better info after my daughter goes to her first Airstream rally this weekend.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, exhaustipated! You snuck in while I was typing. I sure hope y'all can make it. I've been stabling Rusty, a companion for Rawhide, since my aborted trip to KS. Will be happy to turn him over to you as he keeps cleaning out the refrigerator and dropping tiny road apples all over the house ... or at least that's who Perry keeps blaming ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
AISURFISH - Thanks for the info on the MA rally. Yep, first gathering 18 rigs attended and second gathering there were 24 rigs. This event is not a rally but more of a meet-and-greet so probably don't want many more than that.

Ramp Digger - Yes, almost all of the attendees had nothing but good things to say about Smoky Bear and the people there. You better check that voucher to make sure it doesn't have an expiration date ๐Ÿ˜‰

SidecarFlip - Smoky Bear has all the amenities that make a good campground without being too fancy and the facilities are clean and nicely decorated. The sites along the highway are less desirable but only because of the road noise. The rates are reasonable, especially considering we have use of the clubhouse for free and the hosts provide live entertainment one night and breakfast one morning. It is on the small side with 39 sites but that hasn't been a problem so far as I try to schedule the event in the shoulder season.

billyg - I plan to have a date pinned down by the end of the month.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Smokey Bear Campground sounds great to us as well. Maybe after the get-together the wife and I will travel down the Natchez Trace Parkway that you wanted to do earlier this year.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Took a gander at it, looks like a nice spot. I want to stay away from the 'tourista traps' and the stupid traffic. Not too may spaces though.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB