Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1984 FORD E350

ptgolfer7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We just purchased a 1984 Newmar London Aire 27 ' Model Duke motor home.

1984 FORD E350
VIN: 1FDKE30L3EHA11679
Body Style: MOTORIZED HOME
Engine Size: 7.5L V8 4BL OHV
Drivetrain: REAR WHEEL DRIVE

The RV is not set up for recreational towing of a toad. Ellen and I contacted the Newmar company, and they have absolutely no information going back to 1984.

Any information on the following would be most gratefully appreciated.
Recreational towing hitch
necessary equipment
Weight guidlines
owners manuals
shop manuals
Your personal experience.

Thanks,

Alan & Ellen
4 REPLIES 4

ptgolfer7
Explorer
Explorer
Our sincere thanks for all of your helpful information.

We will follow through with your suggestions.

Alan & Ellen

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
They still have PDF brochures on that rig on-line ... might find some the info your looking for through simple Google/download. In general the longer E350 chassis were already close to max weight capacity so keep that in mind. Good shop should be able to provide you with some insight whether you have to beef up the frame/shocks etc.
Kevin

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the time, the Chassis Model Year is the year prior to the Coach Model Year. In your case it seems your 1984 coach is on a 1984 Ford Chassis.

We had a 1984 Coach (24-ft Holiday Rambler Ambassador) on a 1983 E350. One difference I'm painfully aware of, is that with a 1984 Chassis, you can use late model 16-inch wheels to easily replace the 16.5's that 1984 used. 1983 had an earlier design wheel that was difficult to replace. So Good on You.

C6 three-speed automatic transmission has the well-earned title "Bulletproof."

460 is The Beast of V8 Gas Engines. Takes a Diesel to outdo one at Towing.

You can expect Exhaust Manifold problems. Leaks, broken bolts, maybe cracked manifolds.

Brakes are marginal. Equip your Toad or Trailer with Brakes.

Chassis drives better then the current one.

You'll be at, if not over, GVWR loaded for a trip. They didn't talk GCWR back in those days. I'd peg max towing at 3500. Stay under 3000 if you can.

Shop for a Hitch where you can do measurements. Ford came out with chassis modification (stretching) standards, but not way back then. We had a welded-on hitch. Bolting is better. You might be able to get a lighting harness that simply plugs in.

I did a number of low cost mods or repairs that improved its ride, handling, and performance.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
FORD SERVICE PUBLICATIONS
Many Ford Service Publications pertain to a specific Model Year and vehicle types. The following publications are a few of many manuals which are available from Helm Incorporated;
call: 1- 800 - 782 - 4356

Ford Truck Shop Manuals
Ford Towing Manuals
Ford Electrical and Vacuum Trouble Shooting Manuals
Ford Wiring Diagrams
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY