cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

backup camera

underpanda
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just bought a new travel trailer. We have a dodge ram 2500 with a connect 5.0 radio. I was wanting to get a backup camera for the truck and the camper. The camper would be a wireless blue-tooth, I assume. Does anyone have a similar set up because I got to thinking that when you put the truck in reverse the truck backup camera would take precedent over the trailer backup, defeating the purpose.
18 REPLIES 18

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a camera on my rig, I used cable fishing rods and fish tape to pull the cable through the underbelly of my rig. The camera I used was an old SD wide-angle security camera that came off my house when I upgraded to HD cameras, even the roll of video cable was leftovers, the only money I sank into my setup was like $3 for a toggle switch in the RV for 12v power to the camera, and like $1 for a BNC to RCA video adapter. I pull power for the camera from the RV fuse box, there was an empty unused fuse holder present, and I mounted a power switch right near the fuse box (I also installed an additional 12v cigarette lighter socket), I did luck out in that my fuse box is at the rear of my rig, right by where I mounted the camera.

Our old truck had an aftermarket radio with camera inputs, so that was easy, our new truck has a factory system with backup camera, I am going to have to figure out a way to interface my setup with it (probably not all that hard, most are just using composite video), for now I will probably just get a $20 suction-cup-mount LCD screen until I am comfortable modding our brand new truck LOL.

My camera:

Switch inside:

oxygen
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
Wireless will be expensive for a good system. I decided on a wired system and bought the following from Amazon. Affordable and you can turn on the monitor whenever you want. Good for when you want to see behind you while on the road, especially when passing a slow vehicle so you can see that you are safely ahead. You just unplug the wires when you land at camp and unhook the RV. I ran the wires from a mounted camera (on my rear ladder) under the trailer and zip tied them to the front of the trailer. Everything is mobile and can be temporary or permanent as you want. Good luck

Camera system

a better camera

Cig lighter switch

Wire extension

which of the two cameras did you by and how did you route the power cord back through your truck?
Thanks
2012 F-150 XLT,screw, EcoBoost-3.5 liter, Heavy Duty, payload 2400
2014 Rockwood 2604WS, Equalizer head

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
Hate to pour cold water, but I have been trying to get a rear view camera work on my 5th wheel for about 6 years now. Vibration (I guess) keeps killing the camera. After replacing the camera and having it die within a couple years, I have given up on the idea.

I have a tiny little wired backup camera mounted to the back of my TT with VHB tape. The tape absorbs the vibrations really well. It's held up great to pacific northwest wetness. Plus, it's only $25 if it falls off.

oxygen
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco254 wrote:
I have a back up camera that is wired through the 12v system on the trailer so it is on all the time as a rear view camera, now I can always see what is behind or coming around me before I see it in my mirrors.

What brand of camera do you use? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
underpanda wrote:
My wife and I just bought a new travel trailer. We have a dodge ram 2500 with a connect 5.0 radio. I was wanting to get a backup camera for the truck and the camper. The camper would be a wireless blue-tooth, I assume. Does anyone have a similar set up because I got to thinking that when you put the truck in reverse the truck backup camera would take precedent over the trailer backup, defeating the purpose.

you might see what dodge offers to augment the exisiting camera. On my GMC 2500 with the trailer camera package when in reverse I can choose between the truck backup camera, trailer camera or either side cameras on the mirrors or the front camera. Same when in drive except I can't choose the truck backup camera, just the other cameras.

Nice to see them on an 8 inch display.

in tight spots being able to use the front or side cameras comes in handy when manuvering into a spot.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
underpanda wrote:

of all the systems I've tried, a garmin GPS that supports a garmin backup camera is the most straigthforward and reliable wireless systems I've seen. they understand putting the camera at the back of the trailer along with the transmitter isn't going to cut mustart. So.... there system lets you mount the camera at the back of the trailer and then run a cable to the trailer tongue where the transmitter is located.

and the camera is well integrated into the GPS, easy to turn on or off when driving.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

oxygen
Explorer
Explorer
johntinacamping wrote:
This is a video I stumbled upon some time back and I made this exact installation on our trailer. The one thing I did different was to mount the camera to the top edge at the back of our trailer and tilt it where I can see the spare tire on my bumper. I also have the wireless router piece permanently mounted inside and wired into my 12v system. It has a very wide angle so I have a great view of the road behind me. It really helps when backing into a camp site also. Do-it-yourself CHEAP rear view camera solution

Did you mount the router in the back of the trailer or in the front?
If in the back, was the picture adequate? Also what did you use for the monitor? Thanks

johntinacamping
Explorer
Explorer
This is a video I stumbled upon some time back and I made this exact installation on our trailer. The one thing I did different was to mount the camera to the top edge at the back of our trailer and tilt it where I can see the spare tire on my bumper. I also have the wireless router piece permanently mounted inside and wired into my 12v system. It has a very wide angle so I have a great view of the road behind me. It really helps when backing into a camp site also. Do-it-yourself CHEAP rear view camera solution

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:
I think you just made my mind up...did you get the side camera's as well? You said that it negated the need for tow mirrors (I don't have tow mirrors), but how? it only shows what is directly behind you right...or does it show quite a distance back, therefore allowing you to see when it's perfectly clear and no one coming up on you?

Most IMO, use tow mirrors to see the side of the trailer and behind the trailer as much as possible.

Without tow mirrors, I can see the entire side of the trailer but not at all behind. (No, I do not have side cameras)

The camera is wide angle, so I can see the bumper edge and a significant distance behind the trailer. If I could guess, I'd say I can see objects 50+ yards back but its only very clear for 0-15 yards back. Again, just guesstimates but there has not been an occasion yet that I ask for more!

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I think you just made my mind up...did you get the side camera's as well? You said that it negated the need for tow mirrors (I don't have tow mirrors), but how? it only shows what is directly behind you right...or does it show quite a distance back, therefore allowing you to see when it's perfectly clear and no one coming up on you?
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
My current TT was prewired for a rear camera and I purchased what the OEM pushed. Furion.

I use it as a guide when backing up so I do not hit anything, but even more importantly I use it as a rear view mirror behind the trailer while I tow.

Using the rear camera as a rear view mirror negated the need for towing mirrors as well as I can see dramatically more than I ever could before. I highly recommend their use and will never again own a TT without one!

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question on back-up/observation camera's. Are they worth the $330 (I have it prewired on the trailer) and should I have it installed prior to picking up my new camper? If they install, then the 7 year warranty will cover it. But, that's more money than I want to put out right now. Thoughts?
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I have a Garmin RV 760 GPS with wireless back-up camera. Works great for me.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I have a back up camera that is wired through the 12v system on the trailer so it is on all the time as a rear view camera, now I can always see what is behind or coming around me before I see it in my mirrors.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3