cubbear
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of bike rack that attaches to latter
8 REPLIES 8

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

Here's a pic of a bike rack I made from aluminum and fork blocks. Rack is attached to the ladder with stainless steel U - bolts. Aluminum is covered with old bike tube to prevent marring of the ladder finish. Heat shrink tubing on SS U- bolts. Straps on rear wheels. Allows entry to camper,front wheels of bike store in basement of camper or back seat of truck.

Bob
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
I at one time also looked into a bike rack for the back ladder and even ordered one off of Amazon. I never ended up using it however as I just wasn't confident it would stand the test of mileage and that it wouldn't mar up the ladder.

Instead, I took an alternate route and made a bike rack for my bikes that sits on the dinette with the cushions removed. I purchased some front fork mounts off of amazon for $15 each and then mounted them to a piece of 1"x6" that was 48" wide. On the bottom of the 1"x6" I added some heavy duty Velcro and then I added the receiving Velcro to the plywood of the dinette. When I'm not using the racks, I just remove the plywood racks and store them inside the truck bed. I can now store four bikes (two adults and two kids) easily inside and I don't have to worry about whether they are staying attached off of the back.

This setup works very well for destination type camping where you intend to be in the same location for a few days. If you are traveling daily though it's not as ideal because you need to move the bikes any time you want to use the dinette. It does only take a few minutes however to load the bikes in.

Inside Bike Rack

That is the way to go.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I at one time also looked into a bike rack for the back ladder and even ordered one off of Amazon. I never ended up using it however as I just wasn't confident it would stand the test of mileage and that it wouldn't mar up the ladder.

Instead, I took an alternate route and made a bike rack for my bikes that sits on the dinette with the cushions removed. I purchased some front fork mounts off of amazon for $15 each and then mounted them to a piece of 1"x6" that was 48" wide. On the bottom of the 1"x6" I added some heavy duty Velcro and then I added the receiving Velcro to the plywood of the dinette. When I'm not using the racks, I just remove the plywood racks and store them inside the truck bed. I can now store four bikes (two adults and two kids) easily inside and I don't have to worry about whether they are staying attached off of the back.

This setup works very well for destination type camping where you intend to be in the same location for a few days. If you are traveling daily though it's not as ideal because you need to move the bikes any time you want to use the dinette. It does only take a few minutes however to load the bikes in.

Inside Bike Rack

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Camping World one and also don't like it hanging in front of the door. But, that would depend on where your ladder is in relation to the door.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are several types available.

I tried the ladder ones and was never really happy with how they have to hang either vertically upside down and bang around or the ones that do hang horizontal they extend past the RV and the bikes bang around also.

I ended up with the bumper bike rack. The one I use also doubles as a place for the spare tire, but I just tie my lawn chairs or my dogs ex-pens in the place where the tire would go. It will hold 2 bikes securely.

>>Here is a REAL good read of ALL the different types of bike racks for RV's.
The good, the bad and the ugly of all of them!
:B
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/best-rv-bike-rack-hitch-ladder-bumper/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Latter later, Sprint-Fitter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
cubbear wrote:
Anyone know of bike rack that attaches to latter

I'm guessing you mean the ladder?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one I use.