are these decent quality

https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2008-tioga-ranger-by/6280974733.html
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
10 REPLIES 10

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
do the C's tend to have leak issues more than the A's ?? And it seems like the leaks can be VERY hard to find,,,,do the A's have rubber roofs too

Many lower-end class A's have rubber or TPO roofs. There is nothing wrong with these kinds of roofs provided one keeps up with the maintenance and understands that they do eventually require replacement due to age. Most any RV roof needs more or less maintenance, for that matter.

Class C's perhaps do tend to leak a little more frequently because the cabover area and general mating with the cab makes for more corners and seams. I wouldn't let that alone dictate what kind of RV to get; rather, find one in good condition with the floorplan and features (and price) that will work for you, whatever style that ends up being.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Tioga 26Q bought new in late 2003. Like the huge storage area, cabinetry and housebox construction are "average". Roof AC unit and fridge were replaced at about 10 year point. Roof and roof vent's, etc., have not leaked with normal resealing maintenance. Most RV's use same brands of appliances, fridges, AC units, etc. If you buy used, make sure that everything works and get written estimates for parts and labor needed. Tires over 5 years old by date codes may need replacement for safety. Have brake system serviced as needed including front flex lines and brake fluid flush/replacement. Test drive carefully to detect any odd mechanical noises or steering/suspension problems. Most rv's have a stiff/harsh ride, and do not handle like an SUV.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
do the C's tend to have leak issues more than the A's ?? And it seems like the leaks can be VERY hard to find,,,,do the A's have rubber roofs too
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 but theres thing to look for ANY WATER marks ,run fast. tires change every 8years , they rot from the inside out. you,ll have some minor problems ,but so does brand new rv,s if its in good shpe you like it ,go get it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2008 model ... 9 years old and still on the road? 32K miles, still looks good. I'd say time has proven it's pretty good "Quality", at least for the first 9 years of it's life. The question is, what's going to break down AFTER 9 years? No one knows and no one can predict it either.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say it is,it appears to be a 26Q,I have 2006 Tioga just like that. It is a Former Rental It has about 114000 miles on it and in that market it has stood up very well.

All of the appliances, refrigerator, stove top, oven, microwave, furnace, water heater, A/C, all have been trouble free and worked without fail. They are all the original ones that came with the RV when new, I have the sales packet from Fleetwood.

All doors, cabinets and drawers are tight and working as they should, the fit and finish is still very good. Even all the tank sensors work! The Onan generator has been trouble free with over 900 hours on it, just routine maintenance and running it monthly under load if has not been used, to make sure that it stays that way.

In addition it has a massive 100 cubic feet of storage in the rear compartment,plus the floor panels lift up and there is additional storage below them. It will fit all my bulky items with ease,plus it has access from all three sides with large doors. It also has a Queen bed in back that is not a corner type. Some newer models have gone back to this configuration.

It handles very well,but it is on a Chevy Chassis the wheel base ratio to length is very good at about 53 percent which makes it handle well.

Even with all that storage when fully loaded,water,fuel,food for 2 weeks trip it still is well under its GVWR with room to spare and all the axle weights are where they should be for good handling,I think it is a very fine rig. I think the quality is there and if the condition is right,with no water damage it would be worth looking into.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The Tiogas seem to be pretty decent. There's an RV "rating" group that doesn't like Fleetwood's Class A's at all, but is pretty kind to their Class C's.

This 2008 Tioga is on a pre-2008 Ford chassis. Easy to tell because the grille area is pretty much 1992 with different grille and other tweaks. 2005 has the "dump truck" massive chrome grille, but the difference is the front axle rating and much bigger brakes.

The water intrusion issue always needs to be looked at, but the picture showing a full side view troubles me. The "house" (not counting the cabover) looks like it's balanced on the rear axle. This suggests to me that the wheelbase is too short. This can overload the rear axle. Might not with only a 27-footer, but what it WILL do is not load the front axle heavily enough for good tracking on the road.

WEIGH IT!!! If it doesn't have at least 1/3 of total weight on the front, look at others. Ford says 32 pct. If you weigh with it empty, consider where tanks are and where storage is. Loading it could well bias the weight more to the rear, and you want at least a third of total on the front. Some say 75 pct of front axle rating (which is 4600 for 2007 and older E450, 5000 for 2008 and newer which again this one isn't).
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Rather than be too concerned with quality, look more at whether it has leaked.
Even the best models are not worth having if they have water damage.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure I would use decent to describe the quality, more like entry level, though condition accounts for a lot. One potential advantage is the 08 models had a higher GVWR than the previous E series chassis, though not much else changed mechanically. That of course assumes this particular one is on an 08 chassis and not a left over 07, as the model years for coaches don't always match the model year of the chassis they are built on.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
looks nice
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind