cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8 cylinder or 10 cylinder

TNFlowerLady
Explorer
Explorer
Hi my first post - am buying a used RV 32 feet or 37 feet. Am wondering what is the best decision. 10 cylinders seems like a lot. I am single and middle aged and will be traveling alone. Not sure I need all that horsepower.

Thank you. Hope to meet you on the road.

Natalie
20 REPLIES 20

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Our story: my wife and I decided to buy a motorhome in 2008 after many years of camping in tent trailers pulled by a 3/4 ton van. We first tried a 26 footer that was on special. I felt a little uncomfortable driving such a large vehicle in town while my wife wouldn't drive it at all. I was concerned that the long overhang behind the rear wheels would make it unable to get into several of our favourite campsites and, of course, it felt like a hazard making turns in traffic. We started looking at smaller class Cs. We found a 20 footer at a much more reasonable price and which we both drove in comfort because it was about the size of our full size van. We took that one home and have been very happy with it.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to respond, keep getting error notice, this is a test!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would guess that the difference in fuel consumption is minimal. The last 30,000 miles on my V-10 has resulted in a 8.5 MPG average. Fuel consumption hasn't been anything I am concerned with but trying to squeeze a mile or two is hardly worth it. Also, friends of mine have V-10's in their personal pick-ups. One went close to 500K before it lost a cylinder and the other is approaching 400K with just one water pump replacement.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe 2003 was the last year that Ford offered the E550 cutaway van chassis.

Here's the specifications for it: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2003/vs_pdf/e-seriesvan_03bb.pdf

Here's a photo of an E550 based service truck:
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
E-550 only lasted a few years. Early 2000's somewhere. I think what happened was the Chevy 4500's (not the current 4500 Van type) pretty much stole the market.

The E-550 has 19.5" wheels and a straight (single) I-Beam front axle with Kingpins. Turns MUCH tighter than E-350/450 with Twin I-Beam and Ball Joints. Probably tracks better on the road too. It's the Axle that I'd want...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
E550: I've seen this as a tow truck chassis, so did they re-introduce it, and into the RV market?
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
I wish I had the E-550.

Don,

Well ... if the long obsolete E550 was still available and had - even larger brakes, even better engine cooling, even better transmission cooling, even larger diameter front and rear torsion bars, a full air suspension system in the rear, and coil front springs instead of leaf springs in the front - then I would prefer the E550 under our Class C instead of an E450.

What year was the E550 discontinued, and how many years did Ford produce it? :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Bare in mind there is more then one Ford V10
All class C motor homes are built on the E series, which only comes with the 2-valve engine, which produces less power

Older class A motor homes (pre 2001) also use the 2-valve

Newer class A motor homes comes with the 3-valve, which produces more power.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
You can never have enough horsepower, especially in a motor home. Go with the V-10. You might not always need the extra power, but it's better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wish I had the E-550.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are shopping used, go to a dealer and drive one of each in a newer chassis so that you know what each are capable of. Each are potent, but each have their own characteristics that you'll have to live with. Go with the one that works for you. By driving newer models, you will be able to better evaluate the condition of the one you consider purchasing.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Also if you have the option when looking at used.

Go for the E450 chassis.

They come in 2 models. E350 and E450. On some of the older models it might say E-Super Duty on the fender instead of E450.

AND when you get into the long ones there is a whole lot overhang behind the rear axles. Metal fatiques and you need to look at the leaf springs.

Bring a flashlight with and get down and really check the leaf springs for cracks or broken leafs. From both sides.

I sure wouldn't dismiss the MH if one is broke/cracked they can easily be replaced by a repair shop. And can be driven safely if one is broke. AND you might be able to get it for a lower price if you point it out to the owner. He need not know that it is an easy fix either. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time we think Class C motorhomes on 1- or 1-1/2 "ton" van chassis, like the small U-Haul "Cube Vans" and they run up to about 32 feet. Was 31 for a long time. If you're looking up toward 37 feet, it's going to be a "Super C" on a much heavier chassis or a Class A, again a different chassis.

It's not the number of cylinders, it's the piston displacement, in cubic inches, or liters, that's really the "size" of an engine.

Then there were "sizes" according to the dimensions of the engine block itself.
Ford and GM used to build "big block" V8 engines that ran from 7.4 to 8.2 liters. Those were discontinued, and now the V8's are all "small block" up to about 6.2 liters. The GM engine that competes with Ford's V10 is 6.0 liter.

The V10 is an engineering trick. Ford's largest V8 was 5.4 liters. Divide by 8 and multiply by 10 and you get 6.8 which is the V10. So it's a small block with two cylinders added, to get up toward big block displacement.

V10 is a great engine. It sounds like overkill but it isn't. On flat land, maybe. In hilly country, you want it all.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Love my 8 pistons but they are out of breath at top of hill. 10 is better. 12,000 pounds leaving drive way. Wish I had 12
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"