cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another excellent Class C adventure...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Day 8 of our 12 day trip from Tucson to Gallup, Pagosa Springs and Angel Fire NM and we are having a blast. Other than a little rain the weather has been spectacular as we squeeze one last trip to the southern Rockies in ahead of the approaching winter.

After coming up through Gallup we spent 4 days at the Pagosa Riverside Campground right on the San Juan River. This campground offers every kind of site imaginable from tent camping to full hook up pull throughs {I opted for a nice 30 amp pull through for $40 a night}. We are towing my Harley and have had some awesome rides. Up over Wolf Creek pass to South Fork and then out to Creede near the headwaters of the Rio Grande. The Aspens are beginning to turn and the scenery is off the chart gorgeous.

The next day we went south on 151 to the Chimney Rock National Monument and then south through Arboles and west to Ignacio where we picked up the back road north to 160 at Bayfield and back to Pagosa Springs. Spent a few hours at "The Springs" a mineral springs with 23 different pools of varying temperatures right on the San Juan River in downtown PS. You can literally step out of a 105 degree pool and into the river... but man that river is cold.

Friday we drove over to Angel Fire to my best friends house on 3 acres at 9,000' complete with my very own personal RV site. He put it in when he built the house complete with 30 amps, water and a nice fire ring. The elk have been cruising through the property, often 20 or more at a time. A couple dozen wild turkeys are around along with the usual assortment of Mule deer.

Our friends from San Diego are here as well and the six of us are having way too much fun. Drove up to red River for breakfast at Shotgun Willy's {you have got to try the brisket breakfast burrito smothered in Hatch green chili sauce}, and a couple hours of sightseeing. Today we are going back to the Viet Nam Memorial located just north of Angel Fire {a must see when you come up here}. Friday Paul did a 7# brisket in his smoker for 10 hours.... OMG was that delicious. Last night I did 5.5#'s of Prime Rib {also in the smoker}, with similar culinary results.

Monday we head back to Tucson with no particular route planned {yet}, but I'm sure we'll find some fun places to visit along the way. They are starting to get snow in the northern Rockies and the night time temps are creeping down daily but what an amazing time to be up here.

:B
11 REPLIES 11

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.. pics?

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Great, now I'm Hungry. ๐Ÿ™‚

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an awesome trip!!!!! I need to do that once we get a new RV. Our current RV is not up to it. Stay safe!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I never tire of taking trips in my Class C coach.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I wish there was a way to search for blogs/ info like this when it came time to plan a trip. I know a couple with maps, and ask here- any other suggestions?
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! What an adventure! Thanks for posting the details. I'm jealous as can be. Sooooooo nice to hear a report of someone out there enjoying the RV experience and having fun, instead of the usual complaints and problems.
I have to say that all of our outings in our just now one year old Class C have been nothing but smile worthy also.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting your trip, makes many of us wish we could be there with you.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I always enjoy hearing from people who really enjoy their RV. That's what they're for. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
DC,

Thanks much for the tantalizing report on a great getaway trip!! It gets me into daydreaming.

We just had to last minute cancel out on meeting up with my BIL & SIL for some RV'ing a couple of weeks in the Oregon mountains, plus maybe some OR desert exploring - due to illness. What a bummer ... at least our rig is now sitting out in the backyard all ready to go. ๐Ÿ˜ž and ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are enjoying the fall weather to the max...also sounds like some sights we'd like to see. Thanks for sharing.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl