cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am drooling over this Aussie rig

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I really like this rig. Even though the hookups are on the wrong side and it cost $300,000. I have a number of Australian products, and every one of them is top quality. I wonder if that extends to their RV's too.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
19 REPLIES 19

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to add both of the Motorhomes are 31ft long. Caravan Parks tend not too take any longer.
A shot of a New Zealand Trail lite Class C towing a small car

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
A similar Sunliner Isuzu Motorhome

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Looks pretty nice. Those Japanese Diesel MDT's seem to hold their own pretty well on the US Interstates. Not sure I'd worry about power. And they probably don't require much maintenance. But when they do... The trucks are usually Tilt-Cab. Can't do that with a Class C overhang, so I asked. Answer: Through the Floor of the Cab. Just speaking for myself, that looks like more of a nightmare than Class C's, Class A's, even rear radiator DP's...

Access through a panel in the floor not a tilt cab. The base is a very light truck in Australia, adequate for Class C Motorhome use. Reasonable handing and roadolding and pretty unbreakable.
Has 19,000lb GVWR and 27,000lbs GCVWR

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I was parked next to this European RV at Tom Sawyers CG.

These RV'ers told me they SHIPPED their RV from Sweden to the United States every year........
because they like RV'ing in America! :C

They sure DO build them differently than the US does!

Bit cramped in Sweden.A lot more wider roads in the US

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Three year factory warranty or 1,000,000 kilometers. Very good.

Expensive to people from the US,but build quality is very good and the Isuzu chassis is pretty bulletproof. Owners have no problems getting around. Keep its value a lot better than imported US units. Important when it comes time to sell it.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it's worth:

Torque to the drive wheels is what matters - not engine crankshaft torque. Horsepower gets converted into drive wheel torque via gears. High engine horsepower gets converted into high drive wheel torque this way. The big Chevy V8 or big Ford V10 in their respective cutaway van chassis used for motorhomes can be geared to put way more torgue on the ground at any given vehicle speed and weight than a 186HP motor can at that same given vehicle speed and weight - regardless of the 186HP engine's crankshaft torque.

That being given, 186HP can sometimes be gotten away with in small motorhomes under certain conditions, with the result being better average fuel mileage
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure about the Aussie specs, but US specs on the NPR engine are 215 hp/452 torque. Probably has OK highway performance but not mind blowing.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Yeah ... all that money and you get a whopping 186 HP.

Irrespective of maybe great Australian build quality, it looks like yet another underpowered highway queen RV. :R

It the torque that matters. Gas mileage better too.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I've met RVers who ship them over and back, it didn't sound that expensive. Something line $3000 each way for a Sprinter-sized RV.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I was parked next to this European RV at Tom Sawyers CG.

These RV'ers told me they SHIPPED their RV from Sweden to the United States every year........
because they like RV'ing in America! :C

They sure DO build them differently than the US does!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Looks pretty nice. Those Japanese Diesel MDT's seem to hold their own pretty well on the US Interstates. Not sure I'd worry about power. And they probably don't require much maintenance. But when they do... The trucks are usually Tilt-Cab. Can't do that with a Class C overhang, so I asked. Answer: Through the Floor of the Cab. Just speaking for myself, that looks like more of a nightmare than Class C's, Class A's, even rear radiator DP's...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what the service life is for a clothes washer that is located in a basement door behind the rear axle.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah ... all that money and you get a whopping 186 HP.

Irrespective of maybe great Australian build quality, it looks like yet another underpowered highway queen RV. :R
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
All that money and you get a rubber roof.