cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1998 Safari Sahara

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at another coach to be used in our Mexico travels. Our Dynasty is just too big for the roads and the CG's. WE had a Trek that could have been ideal. But that P30 Chassis is a real POC. And the Auto Park Brake made me nervous. I considered a GMC ( too low), an FMC ( too many driveline problems) and even a Class C. Last week I saw 1998 Safari online that caught my eye. I wont see it in person for 2 weeks but I think it deserves a look. Here are the positives. 3126 Cat ( predecessor to the C7), 6 speed 3000 Allison, one slide out, amazing condition with records going back to day one. BUT it is 30 ft. on a 176 WB. Lots of overhang. I remembered reading many years ago of handling problems. This model has leaf springs> I have read that part of the problem is not enough front axle weight. Some owners have added 250 lbs. in front of the axle and it helps. Others claim that Tiger Trak track bars front and rear solve the problem. I know that Track bars certainly help the P30's. Are there any Safari owners here with actual experience. Any info appreciated.

Moisheh
5 REPLIES 5

flagstickfrank
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check if the previous owner was aware of the bearing on the fan of the 3126 CAT that needs lubed. IF he didn't lube it by now it surely failed, or worse, is getting ready to fail. Other than that the engine is one of the best, very dependable.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Know one very mechanically-gifted owner who moved the generator on a Sahara from the very rear driver's side to just behind the passenger's front wheel. Transferred quite a lot of weight since the OE location was so far behind the rear axle.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Brett and Jerry. I also found out that weighing the unit will disclose that there is plenty of FA capacity so adding a few lbs. is an easy mod. I kind of chuckled thinking of when I had a F gas race car. Extremely light in the front and we had added 600 lbs. weight in the back to assist with weight transfer. Then had to add wheely bars to keep the front wheels on the ground! The Tiger track bars look very well made

http://pioneermetalworks.com/?page_id=32

Moisheh

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35' Sahara and it's a great coach. The handling issues were mostly on the "Velvet Ride" suspension. The Elipti-Ride is the leaf springs.

I didn't add any weight to the front. I maxed out at 22,000 lbs loaded for the winter trip south and it rode ok. It did a lot better with the suspension cleaned up and Bilstein shocks installed.

It's not air-bag ride but if the tire pressures are right and the suspension tuned up, it's a nice riding coach.

The 3126/Allison combo is bullet proof. Safaris are great coaches. OIt took us 6 months to find ours.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the front axle on that coach/chassis is VERY light-- with the 30' being the worse. They did not do a good job with weight distribution. Even the generator is all the way in BACK!

We had a 35' Sahara with leaf spring suspension and it was quite manageable.

Leaf spring models at this age are probably preferable to torsilastic suspension coaches.

And, indeed, adding "ballast" to the front end was a well-known answer to improve handling/tracking.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/