cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help a newb shop.

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Steve from Hailey, Idaho, which is near Sun Valley. Starting a process of shopping. I want to upgrade from car/tent camping towing out boat with a Suburban to a Truck Camper that will fit within a long bed, as I get also my first pick up. I am married, mid-50's, mountain biker, water skier, snow skier, father of 3 teens/young adults.

We will be towing a ski boat, so I would like the Camper not to hang over the long bed.

My shopping list as posted on my Malibu boat forum:

1. Warm and comfortable sleeping. And room to sleep 3, 4 in a real pinch. We will have our daughter with us often and sometimes our other two kids, but they would likely pitch a tent.

2. ability to heat water and basics inside, but ability also to cook outside.

3. Create outside living space with awning, so that hanging out and cooking is outside with a cover if necessary.

4. Restroom optional. We camp usually where potties exist. don't need to take up the space with it. Same with shower. Would like ability to have an outside shower.

5. Outdoor power for tunes (blue tooth speaker will be fine, no big installed stereo, dvd, tv, etc. required or desired.), lights, etc. Would love to hang solar or low powered ambiance lights on and awning, You get the idea, I want the living space and fun outside, and the quiet and sleeping comfortable and inside.

6. If possible, I would like it not to hang over the back of the bed, as I don't want to deal with an extension for trailering.

We are price conscious and I like the idea of getting something like this used ( I think it will fit within a long bed and allow for towing with a normal hitch, help me out here?? )

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Gardner%27s-RV-%26-Trailer-Center-3030106/listing/2001-Northland-Truck-Campers-CAMPER-5000060202

***Link Removed***

I would love for the slide out to be on the other side, as I would like to use the starboard side as the living area, as it seems most trailers, and therefore most camp sites around here, are set up that way.

Thinking I would like to stay away from a soft side or pop up, as it can get cold at night in Idaho. But a little bit open minded.

I am planning on saving for and finding a decent recent year 2500HD level truck. Our boat is not heavy, and I think 2500HD will be sufficient, and if not, I can add some airbags. But I think it will be.

Thoughts? Stuff I am missing? Good places to shop? Thoughts about trucks? (except no brand wars please. I dislike brand wars. Etc. Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:
Wasn't the OP talking about a NorthLAND, not a NorthSTAR?
Anyway, can vouch that Northstar is quality built.

Was talking about both. Found a hard side Northland first I was interested in, and the neighbor has the pop up Northstar I am trading for and starting out with. Thanks!

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
delete. Duplicate.

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149659235@N03/sets/72157662572657948

Northstar Camper

Here are a couple pics, if anyone is interested. Sound, and doesn't leak. A little TLC and a couple mods and it should be nice for what I want to do. It has the Rieco-Titan camper jacks, so as someone already said, it will be no big deal to add one more. I will want to make a sheltered outdoor cooking area off the port side opposite where all the kitchen stuff is inside. And other than that, should be pretty good!

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
Well am getting the older but decent shape 90's Northstar for a trade for services so no out of pocket. It is my neighbors and he will help me put a 4th jack on it and do a couple mods I am thinking of. If I donโ€™t like it, it will sell. Thanks for all the help folks!

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 8.5 SS TC for the reasons you talk about - towing utility trailer or more often our boat. We love it! The 8.5 ends up just hanging over the rear bumper so easy to hookup trailers. Also carry my sewer hose in PVC pipe style carrier attached to bottom of TC across the back over the bumper, out of the way, but easy access, works out great. The S&S is a basement model, which is nice for 4 season camping here in PNW. Has enclosed tanks and long storage tray which is great for fish poles, extra collapsible awning poles we use with a tarp for an extended outdoor awning and similar. They are on the heavy side.

We shopped for about a year, trying hard to find that mystical clean older unit for under $5K. Here in the PNW there were a good number of RV sales lots that had TCs as well as Craig's list and Truck/Camper trader Mags. We ended up looking at a lot of junk. Most of the low end stuff had evidence of moisture damage in the front corners, or rear wings. After looking all that looking we were ready to jump when we found a real clean, barely used unit a couple yrs old for about 1/2 the new price. We love it!

We did have a roof top A/C unit added, which I regret as we rarely use it, and height limits our storage options as I really believe in covered storage here in rain country. Also really have to watch tree limbs.

One of the features we did not think much about when shopping, but really like is the hatches from inside into the P/U bed space in front of the wheel wells. Great for dirty laundry bag, bottles and cans, boots, tools, extra 12 VDC battery and more.

No slide works for me...less stuff to break and leak!

BTW we lucked into a clean 7.3 F/350 DRW long bed crew cab. After driving some of the F250 and F350 SWD this one rides much nicer, especially with the heavy camper and boat behind. With all the stuff we carry these days very glad I have the DRW.

Take your time and enjoy the process!
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho and the Northwest have a plethora of used truck campers and some dealers.

I would say go look at several different units.

3 people is nothing for either a long bed or a shortbed camper.

I sleep 2 adults, and 4 kiddos in mine, but my kiddos are small.

No slide either. You have to make a plan, look at floorplans, spend a lot of time in Craigslist if you are buying used. Look at tons of pictures.

If you're buying used, you can buy something reasonably priced, try it out and see what works for you.

If you find that it is less than ideal, assuming you can ever find an ideal camper, you can always put it up on Craigslist.

Best of luck.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
Justed looked at a big Arctic Fox that must be 11 or 12 feet, with a couple of feet of trailering extension on the back of a Chevy 3500, with a boat behind. Nice looking rig, and certainly doable. But confirms that is not what I am looking for. I had a pic of it, but I do not know how to upload it. Don't think it is necessary anyway, as most of you know what that looks like.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't the OP talking about a NorthLAND, not a NorthSTAR?
Anyway, can vouch that Northstar is quality built.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Tim wrote:

Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there on Idaho's beautiful back roads. There are few places that have as much to offer and aren't jammed with people.

Thanks for all of that!! Will take all your good advice. May be able to get some pics of the Northstar soon too. I think my neighbor is bringing it back down from Fisher Creek where it is sitting at the extended family cabin right now. BTW, slept in it for the eclipse. I personally enjoyed the soft side and tent feel to sleeping and think my wife will too.

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I like most about the Truck Camper is that it has hot water on demand. Washing my hands and face with hot water is a luxury that you get used to quickly. Bathing in warm weather is not a problem whether it is out of a drywall bucket or a sun shower bag. It is the 35 gallons I have in the camper that helps me feel confident and prepared while out in the sticks. Anything can happen and we'll most likely remain comfy and safe, regardless of where we are.

TC's make great backups for emergencies. Think forest fires, flooding,or any of the other natural catastrophes that can arise without warning. Living in Hailey, you know what I'm talking about. Fill the tanks and bug out. The family has a home on wheels! One of the best facets of TC ownership is that it is self powered and versatile. Drop it at camp and go load up on firewood, launch the boat or whatever. No goofy van motor compartments to work around, no problems getting a mechanic to repair the truck and resale is still good.

As far as the places you mention, you will be able to hit more remote areas to camp in than trailers and use it for base stations. Day hikes take on a whole different character when you know there is a comfy bed at the end of the trail.

We like to camp in the Yankee Fork area and prospect for minerals. There are spots between Redfish and Alturas where you can camp along the Salmon for free and not have many neighbors. Bouncing from one campground to another is not a big deal if you don't have to spend 2 or 3 hours breaking camp -- just get in and drive! It is really easy to dump tanks in Idaho with all the public dump stations available. There's one at the Ranger Station in Stanley, the state park in Challis, the service station in Arco, the list goes on and on.

Towing our enclosed utility trailer with ATV inside (or pontoon boats, or telescopes or whatever theme we choose) is simple and the truck actually rides a bit nicer with the longer wheel train. I am not crazy enough to pull more than is safe and I darn sure am not crazy enough to pull two trailers. I use a short 18 inch extension on my hitch and it works great with my Fox Landing, no interference at all. I can even pull into Walmart and park in the lot without too much hassle. Parking with no trailer is really a breeze, as is going through tight gas stations. Lots to like about the TC footprint.

Check out which model Northstar the neighbor has and let us know. There might be some folks here that can offer more information and guide you with set ups for this model. Being able to use it a time or two is awesome and will cement whether it is the one for you or not. Be sure to go to a CAT scale and weigh it if possible. Use it and find out if you like the canvas sides or not. I really loved the Northstars and being able to drop the window covers made us feel like we were a part of the wilderness experience. Sounds, ventilation and view were big positives. If we were younger it would have been a no-brainer. Remember Northstar makes hard sides too.

I have firm admiration for Hallmark, Four Wheel, and a couple more brands of popups. There are others I would consider as stepping stones but I was not interested in those. Quality trumps economy at a certain point and I have reached it. Weight is a major factor when going to a hard side, and most campers are heavier than the manufacturer admits. Few are truly light enough for SRW trucks, hence the constant mantra of up-sell to duals on the site. While not a member of the weight police, I wanted my wife to feel comfy when driving the rig, so that was an entirely new paradigm. I am pleased as punch with the way my rig handles in virtually all situations, but I had to pay close attention to details. Since you are starting from scratch you have a wonderful opportunity to put the time into getting what fits your needs, not falling for the first pretty camper on the lot.

We had several reasons for choosing a hard side. It was a community decision that took a long time to mature.
1) We wanted to have tanks that would hold us for at least a week. Popups tend to have smaller tanks.
2) We wanted A/C.
3) We wanted more privacy and quiet for noisy campgrounds.
4) We wanted a indoor toilet and shower without having to convert the walls or slide curtains. I really didn't want the humidity to permeate the whole camper either.
5) We wanted to be able to stop anywhere on the road and stealth camp. In Idaho you can stop at rest areas and sleep for 14 hours. Not having to do anything but climb in the bed is sweet.

I have always admired the Northland campers I see all the time here. They seem to hold up well and most local owners are loyal to them. I have no experience with them or the newer company that sprang from its demise.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there on Idaho's beautiful back roads. There are few places that have as much to offer and aren't jammed with people.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately, tank wise, we camp where potable water is available, along with rest rooms. And if we camp further out, it will be part of a back pack trip, for which we will prepare accordingly, or will prepare as if we were car/tent camping as always, bringing some water, and also bringing our filters for back up. Now, we will have a tank we did not have before.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You're on the right track, but expect everyone to get used to the luxury of the camper pretty quickly.
Coming from a family that tent camped forever and after having a TC for a while, my older one actually complained about sleeping in a tent this summer! Lol. (I didn't cave in to him, but in his defense an animal, I think a pack rat, got in their tent and p!ssed under one of the bed rolls! I didn't believe them, told the kids it was their dirty socks that stunk, ahah.
Camper is super spacious when the kids tent it. Then all their "stuff" is out of the camper.
Storage wise, our short bed capable AF seems to have plenty of storage. We can pack clothes for 4 for most conditions, over a weeks worth and everything else needed for extended trips pretty handily. Honestly the only thing that really gets in the way is drinks. A weeks worth of beer, soda, bottled water etc takes up a lot of space but disappears gradually.

Tank wise, we have 50ish gal water, I think 50 gray and black tank is much smaller. We can roll for 4 days 4 people including quick showers most every day before running out or filling tanks.
Sounds like you're looking smaller though so storage and tanks will not be as large likely.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sunvalleylaw
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
If you go with a Pup soft side retractable roof, a 3500 series truck is almost too much. I carry mine on a 1 ton Ford F350 with really not much in the way of suspension mods except air bags which are really there more for my gooseneck than the camper.

My overload spring leaf never see's the snubber block even pulling a trailer behind. Pulling any trailer is all about tongue weight anyway.

Aren't a F350 and a 3500 level the same level? Or I guess that is your point. You have it and don't fully use your suspension.

I will do weight calcs, and try to get info on the old Northstar I have access to, but the new version, with a lot more equipment installed, weighs 1510 before any load or gear.

http://www.northstarcampers.com/products/pop-up-truck-campers-tc800#Specs

Unless they are framed now a lot differently or with different ultra-light style materials, the one I am looking at should be similar.

So yeah, a 250/2500 level truck, possibly with air bags if I need them, should be enough. My buddy next door does it on his 1500 Silverado, which he says is not enough, but feels a 2500 will be plenty. Even with the boat. I am lucky as he and his Dad are very experienced RV'ers, and truck camp people. So I feel pretty comfortable, especially with your confirmation.

It will be about finding a good truck at a good price.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a Pup soft side retractable roof, a 3500 series truck is almost too much. I carry mine on a 1 ton Ford F350 with really not much in the way of suspension mods except air bags which are really there more for my gooseneck than the camper.

My overload spring leaf never see's the snubber block even pulling a trailer behind. Pulling any trailer is all about tongue weight anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB