cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATT vs Consumer Cellular?

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
We have ATT (with an AARP discount)and are ok with it. I see Consumer Cellular ads in AARP publications and the prices seem to be too good to be true. Looks like we could cut our monthly bill in half. Anyone using CS please give me likes and dislikes! Much appreciated.

cts
14 REPLIES 14

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Just because CC uses AT&T towers does not mean they have access to all of them. Go to their web site and look at their coverage map. It shows huge portions of the country that are not covered.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just changed T-Mobile plans.

My plan
55+ With 10 Gigs of Hot Spot Data plus
1 line is voice/data (unlimited 4Glte)
1 line is Mobly (Car sensor) 2 gigs of data no voice
4Glte to the PHONE is UNLIMITED (NICE since it is my major data burner) 10 gig limit is for HOT SPOTTING (COmputers) only and even then it's throttled.

I'm still paying for the hardware and my bill will be 97/month (A drop of about 20% from what I paid last month.

Nice. Using hot spot to post this,.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
We had CC for a few years but recently moved to ATT because of a lack of service when away from population centers or major highways, which is where we like to travel.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I will also recommend CC. I used them for a bit, and cannot recommend them highly enough. They didn't fit my needs, data plan wise, but everything else, was top notch.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
harley-dave wrote:
We've had Consumer Cellular for years. Easy to adjust the plan on the fly to cover what we need for voice, texting and data. Runs on AT&T towers so we have good coverage. Bill for 2 phones, text and data has been as low as $35 up to $58 when we are out in the RV and using more data. Their Customer service has been very good the few times we've used them. Always updating the available phones so you get a pretty good selection including Apple phones.

Dave

Agree totally with this and other positive comments. We have been with them for over 6 years with no issues, great customer service and coverage.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Neither. Boost Mobile, Sprint. 30 bucks a month all in. Unlimited calling, unlimited text and 4 gigs data. Your phone and number or a new one discounted and your number or new and new.

Don't do AARP. All their pandering messages get landfilled. I do AMAC myself. Pro 2A.

Just because CC offers a discount to AARP members doesn't make it a part of AARP. I'm a member of AMAC, and I have CC service because it's affordable and good. If the OP finds a plan with enough airtime and data to suit him, there's nothing cut-rate about the phone service or their customer service.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
We have CC, more service for less price. Go for it.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We switched to CC from AT&T a few years ago and have had o regrets. The ability to adjust our data plan to higher levels when traveling and reduce it back when we get home has been great. Also their customer service and tech support has been outstanding.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We have cc. They will increase our data automatically when needed, without a penalty. Pricing is very clear on their website. We've emailed them questions occasionlly, they answer in a few days.
Also, we could add a family member to our plan even if they don't live with us.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
I have CC but am not AARP. My mother is in a nursing home and I got her the Doro flip phone and I have a smart phone , we share minutes 1500 min 500 text and 3 gig 41 a month for both
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We've had Consumer Cellular for years. Easy to adjust the plan on the fly to cover what we need for voice, texting and data. Runs on AT&T towers so we have good coverage. Bill for 2 phones, text and data has been as low as $35 up to $58 when we are out in the RV and using more data. Their Customer service has been very good the few times we've used them. Always updating the available phones so you get a pretty good selection including Apple phones.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on were you travel and the cell provider you have.
Only 4 companies have actual cell towers across the USA
1) Verizon
2)AT&T
3T MOBILE
4)Sprint
All others use the above providers towers at some point
In the east heavily populated not much difference in service. All of the above have towers in populated areas
In the west large areas only have Verizon or AT&T service

So you need to know whose towers the others are using if you get a company that uses Sprint and you take back roads in the west you will be without service or roaming which may limit services such as internet. Worse the dreaded roaming fees
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
We have Total wireless with MotoG4 phones.
2 lines, unlimited talk and text
15 Gigs of 4 G LTE data
extra data is $10 for 5 gigs
And it runs on Verizon towers.
Less than $60 a month taxes and fees included.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Neither. Boost Mobile, Sprint. 30 bucks a month all in. Unlimited calling, unlimited text and 4 gigs data. Your phone and number or a new one discounted and your number or new and new.

Don't do AARP. All their pandering messages get landfilled. I do AMAC myself. Pro 2A.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB