cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling to Florida in the winter of 2017

Monaco61
Explorer
Explorer
any thoughts on traveling to Florida this winter, places to go and see. Places to skip or good parks to stay at.
16 REPLIES 16

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RockHill, didn't expect that. New owner last spring at Plantation so changes were in the works.

Monaco, Bubbas Raceway Park at Ocala has some good racing plus hosts the sprint cars during the winter.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Monaco61
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling with another couple in motor homes, we like to golf at local courses, not PGA really. we like Nascar and circle track racing.We like going to the spring baseball games and we like to travel without to many plan or reservations. Thanks for the info.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Per the Citrus Chronicle:

snip-it:

This nine-hole golf course known as the Lagoons, at the Plantation on 232 acres, Crystal River to become RV park.....300 RV hook up sites....Entrance to the RV park would be off Fort Island Trail........Tentative name "Kingwood Crystal River RV Resort"......swim with the manatees and go scalloping....adjoining 18 hole course will remain as part of RV park.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:
Rock Hill,
Is that the old Dunes they are going to convert? If so that was a real nice course before.

I just put the paper in the puppy dog pen! I'll see if it's still readable. :B

They did say that they will keep the one 18 hole course as part of the RV park. So I am assuming this golf course had 2 links?

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Hill,
Is that the old Dunes they are going to convert? If so that was a real nice course before.
Rockwood lite up north

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We really liked Rock Crusher when we hit that on the winter trip. I even got to fly while we were there. Nice little GA airport.

Charlie's was great, but the best seafood we had on the trip was a place called The Noisy Oyster in Myrtle beach.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:
Dang, don't keep telling about that place. It's getting hard enough to get through the door already....

X2
Though personally I think Charlie's has THE best seafood.

But I agree, please stop telling everyone about our best kept secret of the most, IMHO, beautiful place in Florida is in the North Central region. :W

P.S. Crystal River is planning on taking the failing market of golf courses and putting the real estate to a better use by making them into RV parks!!!!

There is one in particular in the works right now for a 300 site CG on a dufunked golf course. Was front page news yesterday.

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
Try Brooksville Florida. Belle Parc, where we are booked for three months, may have a few spots left, however they, like most places, are looking to book monthly stayers, not just weekly or daily. Brooksville is north of Tarpon Springs, a great place to visit, and the Weekee Wachee Springs state park is close by, you can kayak with the manatees and see the mermaids.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For lots of ideas do a Google search for `Florida tourism' and read on and on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We did Florida/southeast US in 2015/16 and didn't start planning until this time of the year. Of course, the hurricanes may have changed things a bit...

When we wanted to be in a certain area at a certain time, we made reservations. That worked out to be Thanksgiving in the W.Palm area and Christmas/New Years in the Sarasota area. We also booked a week at Jetty Park in Canaveral trying to catch a launch. We missed the launch(es) and the Port Canaveral Christmas boat parade by a week. Oh well.

The rest of the six months on the road amounted to a general direction and "where to next". Once you get out of central FL, it's not critical that you have advanced reservations.

In the Sarasota area, check out the Wringling Museum. We enjoyed the FL panhandle, in particular the Santa Rosa Beach area. The Florida panhandle is like a completely different state.

If you want to get south of I-4, it's possible that you missed the window for making reservations. As stated above, people make reservations for next year when leaving this year. It may be possible to snag a spot to 2 on cancellations.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, don't keep telling about that place. It's getting hard enough to get through the door already. But you're right, great shrimp.
Like Dutch, I made my reservation before I left the park last spring but you should be able to find some vacancies. You may have to do the park to park dance but it's doable.
Rockwood lite up north

Explorer
Explorer
HERE If you like the water, beer and shrimp it does not get any better than this. This will be the best shrimp you ever put in your mouth
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Come on down and volunteer for the RED CROSS or FEMA. They need all the help they can get.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
FL is a big State. N. FL is much cooler than Central FL which is somewhat cooler than S. FL. How hot and humid do you like it. Mid to S. FL is still going to be in the 80's at Christmas. "Winter" only happens for a couple of weeks (or less) during Jan or Feb. It's always humid and the bugs are always active.
Tell us a bit more about what you like, what you like to do, what kinds of things you might want to visit.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?