cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to beat the system?? (Mayflower van conversion)

scrunchaiczeck
Explorer
Explorer
I need top get my trailer re-registered from commercial trailer to RV..Fas-s-s-st! It's a 43-ft 1974 Kentucky trailer double axle. The CA dmv said the chp comes out to verify, i.e., that no modifications underneath or outside have been done in the conversion process. dmv gave me the forms and said chp comes to the vehicle and looks at it and fills out the forms..then you go pay dmv and you're a new RV! chp says they don't come and do a 'safety inspection'. They don't come..period. So how do I go about getting re-classified to RV? (short of hooking up and hauling it an awful long ways to the nearest dmv..the chp said doing the class changes is a major headache that I don't even want to begin to try doing, --ideas? If I don't get it re-classified, code enforcement is on me to get it off my property and I don't want to, hELP!!)
!scrunchy
9 REPLIES 9

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
CA DMV usually has bad/wrong/incorrect info - it's "DMV SOP".

CHP does not come to you - you go to them.

An RV needs (IIRC) 4 of 6 items to qualify as an RV.

Suggest you visit Escapees HDT forum. They tow "heavy" (why they tow with HDTs) - there's at least one CA LEO on there. LOTS of good tow and trailer info - as well as a few "conversions" such as yours.

You might contact one of the (CA DMV approved) licensing agencies (fee involved for the service) - usually questions are free. And... They know the registration "system".

For your area - suggest: Bracken Tax & License Service, in Ontario, (CA). (909) 390-0024. There may be others closer to BBL in San Berdo.

There are also services that come to you to verify VIN, etc. - rather than go to the CHP.

BTW - As for "beating the system" -
For those unfamiliar - Big Bear Lake & Big Bear City are incorporated (cities) in the resort areas in the Big Bear Mtns of San Bernardino, CA. Popular winter & summer (skiing & lake) recreation area of So. CA.
Property is usually "city size" lots with mtn style houses, condos,
cabins, etc. Many are also week-end rentals - especially during snow season.

Unless you have some *acreage* in the Baldwin Lake area (or?) - I wouldn't want it in my neighborhood (there) either!.:(

Should be easy to find somewhere local (or "down the hill") to store it - somebody *with* some acreage "outside of town"..:W

Anyway .....Good luck!

~

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
porta crapper qualifies in WI
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Its going to have to have a "kitchen" and bath to qualify as an RV. My experience has been that you have to take it to the DMV.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
scrunchaiczeck wrote:
Thanks all of you for input. It's a rec-room thing for thee artist/ musician..music recording studio with drums, pianos and P.A. and bass ready to go. Dark room built-in over the king-pin, vintage kitchen in the back, jukebox, (no toilet, yet) so I can hang out in there and my wife won't go nuts because of all my creativity. We are in a very rural part of town where everybody has a lot of junk. I got 2 LAPD detective-ladies who own their 2nd home nearby, and want to sell it. They think the trailer hinders their success; thus, with the collusion of their seller/ agent, they sicked code enforcement. So I'm looking for the loop-hole! (Don't know how to post fotos)

Seems to me you may end up with more trouble trying to maneuver the system. Might be easier to maneuver the rig itself. Such as moving it out of their sight until the house sells, then moving it back where you like it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

scrunchaiczeck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all of you for input. It's a rec-room thing for thee artist/ musician..music recording studio with drums, pianos and P.A. and bass ready to go. Dark room built-in over the king-pin, vintage kitchen in the back, jukebox, (no toilet, yet) so I can hang out in there and my wife won't go nuts because of all my creativity. We are in a very rural part of town where everybody has a lot of junk. I got 2 LAPD detective-ladies who own their 2nd home nearby, and want to sell it. They think the trailer hinders their success; thus, with the collusion of their seller/ agent, they sicked code enforcement. So I'm looking for the loop-hole! (Don't know how to post fotos)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your title makes it fairly clear that the code guy will win. If your storage trailer is just that, why would they say it's a RV if it still has all your stuff in it? Have you converted it to a RV?
Puma 30RKSS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like you're looking for an inspection similar to a "vin verification". CHP does do them, but as far as I know it's like any other inspection they do - you go to them. The DMV should also be able to do it at their locations. I'm going to guess that you're getting a run around because you want them too come to it rather than bringing it to them. I think you'll have a hard time with that unless you can find a business with a licensed inspector who is willing to comd out for a price.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You should get copies of the forms, probably off the internet. With the forms, are probably instructions. Read and follow those instructions. Good luck. Side note: sounds like you are living in a over the road transfer truck trailer. Trying to make that trailer some kind of another vehicle just to live in it probably will not work. But good luck.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem in New York with a trailer. The DMV told me the State police would come to look at the trailer and verify the VIN etc. Called state police and they said NO. Called the county sheriff and a deputy was there within the hour AND he had the proper form.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind