cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In dash navigation worth the cost?

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
In dash navigation systems seem to run around $900, for example on Tiffins, if ordering a new motorhome.
Are these worth it or are there better cheaper systems?
Wonder about map updates as well!
2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS (Sold January 2018)
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat (Sold January 2018)
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st (stopped fulltiming December 21, 2017)
11 REPLIES 11

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
$50 tablet for big screen effect
$50 mount
$800 for data for the tablet...which most already have thru their cell plan.

Better navigation and constantly up to date.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Get a stand alone Garmin with free map updates and be a happy camper. Built in units are expensive to update and aren't as flexible as a stand alone unit.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monty-Rob wrote:
In dash navigation systems seem to run around $900, for example on Tiffins, if ordering a new motorhome.
Are these worth it or are there better cheaper systems?
Wonder about map updates as well!

NO! Not worth the cost. PERIOD.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
My personal opinion has always been it's too expensive to maintain. Small portable units and now Cell phones are doing the same job and much cheaper in the long run to keep updated. We have an RV specific GPS but if Waze were to add service for RV's and trucks we'd probably just use that.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Have built in dash navigation unit in car. Usually use the same garman stand alone unit I use in the motor home all the time. It's just easier to take into the house or sit in the recliner in the motor home to program plan etc.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Often the built in Nav also brings other radio features with it, so worth a look as to what that all means.

As for the Nav itself, we have it in dash and don't use it because its hard to see down there. I prefer the Nuvi up on the dash.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH came with a Rand McNally built-in. It's part of the radio, DVD, cameras, etc. and it works well. BUT I always have my little Garmin suctioned to the window next to me. Maybe I just like familiar things but I like the Garmin better.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer stand-alone devices, use the dashboard space better. Most stand-alones are cheaper, do a better job, and can be easily replaced and/or updated.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought....with any technology, it's outdated very quickly.
Built in units .....case in point. We all had to have built in 8 track players in our new cars....well, you know how that went.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
These motorhome manufacturer's seem to go with the cheapest GPS vendor they can find. On my 2017 Greyhawk, there is a Jensen unit which is just awful. Not intuitive and the touch screen not sensitive enough. I have to keep poking it for input. I finally gave up and bought a big screen portable Garmin for $279 and I love it. Save your money and forget about the in dash units is how I feel.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell only for my car. It came with a factory one and we do use it but do not update due to cost. With cell phones and portable system that have free updates We just don;t think it is worth it. Ours was $550 when a new one came out and that was almost two years for the first update. Sorry could not help you. I am sure other with weigh in with different stories.