cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santa Fe 2010 towing possibilities - how to start?

Carmageddon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I am in Saskatoon, and we are newcomers here - sk didn't work out for us and I got a job offer in Halifax, so we need to move.

I have a 2010 Hyundai santa fe 3.5l that can tow up to 3500lb and 250 on the hitch (what does this mean? What is a trailer package?).

I would like to try and find a used travel trailer that I can use for this trip and generally travel later after we stabilize.

Is it possible to find something large enough for 4ppl + our crates (about 20 crates I guess) but that the car could still tow (will install transmission cooling, what else needed?)?

If not (and one trailer dealership Claims that not really, the car can barely take the smallest one without risking blowing up the transmission or something like that.

What can you advise on this car's possibilities? What upgrades can make it safe enough? If not, what about an enclosed cargo trailer? Although I don't understand why are trailers so heavy..
What hitch should I buy? Do I have any benefits of WD hitch? I read something about that in the forum..

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
A 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe is NOT a tow vehicle -- PERIOD.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ship the cartons by rail. Drive the vehicle.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ship the cartons by rail. Drive the vehicle.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
That's a very long move. Your Hyundai is a 2010 and that's 7 model years, going on 8 model years (soon). This is around 4300 kms (Saskatoon to Halifax for example) and that's enough of a challenge for a new car, let alone one that age. If it was me, I would not recommend towing a trailer with a vehicle that old, front wheel drive that many miles/kms. Nothing against Hyundai's, but pretty well any car that age. I know moving is expensive, one of our family member recently moved from Manitoba to Newfoundland.

Same deal, also a 2010 car, different make. They shipped their car via either transport truck or train...can't recall which, don't know the cost. I would check it out. To me you want that older vehicle to survive, get you back and forth to work, etc...once you get to NS.

If you're towing a trailer that many kms/miles, I would think they could be hard miles. Just my opinion. Good luck, hope the Maritimes works out well.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"one trailer dealership Claims that not really, the car can barely take the smallest one without risking blowing up the transmission or something like that."

Good dealer. He/she is honest about the Santa Fe's capabilities.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That dealer is right, a permissible tongue weight of 250 pounds translates to a 1250 pound weight trailer assuming there are no other loads on the hitch like a weight distributing hitch.

So you can haul a 1000 pound or so trailer where that is it's fully loaded weight. If you have 500 pounds of boxes to carry that means the trailer cannot weigh more than 500 pounds or so.

In other words forget about pulling a trailer with that vehicle.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper