cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1985 Carri-Lite 5th wheel, aluminum for rough roads?

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone..

I sold my big featherlite and tow rig, and I'm now shopping for something smaller I could tow up forest service roads in colorado. These roads are rough and narrow with pot holes and wash boarded areas. But the biggest hurdle for a trailer are the tight switchbacks and getting turning around..

So, I figured a short, lifted 23' 5th wheel might be a great choice..

Iv been reading about how some Carri-Lite's were constructed from aluminum. Would the 1985 Carri Lite 5th wheel I'm considering be one of those? And would it survive the forest service roads I want to explore, or is it wooden stick built and best suited for smooth paved roads?

Thanks
12 valve ram
2 REPLIES 2

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
I spent all last summer boondocking with my 35' 5th wheel in different National Forests of Colorado and it's more height than length you'll have to worry about. Finding info on the older Carriges-Carri lites is tough but the Carriages where built pretty stout.

Hi Itinerant1. Boondocking with a 35' 5th wheel? Wow!

I guess it just depends on where you try to go.. I don't remember any low branch's going up Cumberland pass from pitkin, but plenty if you venture off the main road. There are though a few tight steep switch back's I would have never made with my old bumper pull. Pretty much everywhere I rode and explored on my dirt bike looked to sketchy to try with my rig.

I'll keep lookin for a <24' fifthwheel I guess, because turns out the Carriges Carri-lite I found has hail damage not mentioned or pictured until now.
12 valve ram

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I spent all last summer boondocking with my 35' 5th wheel in different National Forests of Colorado and it's more height than length you'll have to worry about. Finding info on the older Carriges-Carri lites is tough but the Carriages where built pretty stout.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.