cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing into drive

JimVan
Explorer
Explorer
When backing into my drive from my 20 foot wide street 90 degree turn, should I start on the driveway curb or the far side curb ?
Jim & Vanessia
Winnebago Minnie 2500 rls
2015 Silverado 4x4
21 REPLIES 21

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
It's not the Swoop - it's The Scoop

Try it - it works!

Great video! Love the special effects.
Guess Iโ€™ll have to call it the Scwoop.

In that video, i like the the quick release he has unhitching the TV from the TT.
I would like to have an "auto hitch release" , SoundGuy , where are you ?
We need you to build us something before
Lippert beats us to it. :B

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Try it - it works!

Great video! Love the special effects.
Guess Iโ€™ll have to call it the Scwoop.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I was taught the swoop/scoop or whatever you call it when I learned to drive semis.

One thing that does make it easier if you are able to approach with the drive on your left. If the drive is on your right you will be backing in nearly totally blind.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JimVan wrote:
Thanks guys, I can get in but it has been by many attempts. I would like to look like I know what I am doing.

"Many attempts" often means exposing yourself to opposing traffic, blocking the road to other impatient drivers, so aside from your question about the mechanics of backing into your driveway the key IMO to do what you can to make it as obvious as possible to those other drivers what you're up to. Yeah, I know - this combination of TV & big box blocking the road should be obvious - but it isn't, they're so impatient as to be blind. :M I do what I can to compensate for that blindness by using my DIY Trailer Lights Dongle (3 pics) to flash ALL the lights on the trailer when I'm backing up, not just the 4-ways. I never back into my driveway without using it so I've since permanently wired one of these circuits into my fresh water transfer pump box sitting on the trailer tongue, for even greater convenience ... never back in without it flashing ALL those lights. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

Try it - it works!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of good info here, and to make a point; you would want to stay away from the far side curb and be more towards the middle, or closer to your curb. The reason is the front of the truck will swing OUT as you back in and you're more likely to hit something with the front of your truck while backing in that you are with the back of your trailer.

Newbies are concentrating on the back of the trailer and understandably not wanting to hit something backing up, while they swing the front of their truck into a pole or another vehicle. WATCH THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK TOO WHILE BACKING UP.

For this reason, you would not want to start on the far curb as you would very likely be into the curb with your front truck wheels.

All it takes is practice; I've been doing it for 14 years on several hundred trips and I'm still practicing!!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I have the same situation...
I back down the middle of the street. This gives me room to swing the front of my truck without hitting the far curb.
It's tough...requires practice.

This is the way I do it-- middle of the street
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
When we pull out, our TT leaves scuff marks in the road. I pull far forward and try to follow that arc as close as possible backing back in to park between the fence and carport. This leaves literally 2-6" between the eve and the trailer. After years of practice, it come pretty easy. Backing the boat trailer down the ramp still gives me a little grief.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The swoop is the best way. As a young driver learning to back boats into the warehouse. I was taught to ALWAYS get the rear of the trailer pointed toward the hole the best I could. Getting the trailer lined up with the hole is 90 percent of backing.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
This guy, although seems a little arrogant, give a great walk-through after this couple bought their camper. The best part of it is his backing explanation. I have been backing boats and trailers for years - often making several attempts to get it right. This trick he shows has worked great with my 33' trailer. Just skip to 54:50 of the video.
Video

JimVan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I can get in but it has been by many attempts. I would like to look like I know what I am doing.
Jim & Vanessia
Winnebago Minnie 2500 rls
2015 Silverado 4x4

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a swooper, too.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
Do the swoop. I have the same situation plus a 16โ€™ gate opening with trees further back. Take your time and allow plenty of room for the front of the truck to swing around.

David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully