cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panels

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a residential refrigerator. That being said, when I disconnect my rv from the power grid within a week or so my batteries will be dead. I am thinking of getting a solar panel with battery clips to just keep the battery charged. I found a small portable panel and the reviewers comments make me want to get one.. I just wonder what the minimum requirements are that I would need should I decide to boon dock for a while just to keep the batteries charged....No controller or inverter involved....
17 REPLIES 17

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
What I was asking for was opinions on whether or not it was worth looking into solar power for charging as opposed to running my generator when I'm camping in dispersed areas where there is no one else around.

You would go solar if you don't care to run a generator for some reason and don't mind spending the $.

If you have no problems running the generator then why spend the $.

In my situation, not having to lug around, setup, listen to, and find time to run the Honda, was worth the $ for solar. Solar is carefree when I travel.

If I had need of the air conditioner when having no hookups, I'd take along the generator.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Let's total up, Range. Haul out generator - 45 to 50 pounds - from storage in TV, check gasoline and oil, fill if necessary, pull out electrical cable, start generator, plug in cable, run for at least one hour usually at cocktail time for me, ignore stares of neighbors who haven't gone inside their RV, unplug generator, turn off generator, let generator cool for 15 to 20 minutes and restore generator to storage location in TV.

Versus solar. Oh look it's 6:14 p.m. Been charging all day. Batteries full by noon, 1 pm. Just shut down, getting dark. No noise, no gas and oil, no trouble, no unhappy neighbors. And all cell phones, tablets and other rechargeable batteries including air pump for tires are full...recharged during the day.

Okay, again- see my last post. As far as all that other stuff- come on man! You're talking at least a whole five minutes of work there! (Not counting run time) I hope I'm not so old that I can't handle the little bit of work that comes with owning a generator.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
I take it you are running the fridge on propane as opposed to 12 volts and have a single 12 volt group 24 battery. If so and you can go 5 days before the battery is dead you are using somewhere between 10 and 20 amps a day, depending on what dead means to you. About the same as me.

If it were me I'd add a 2nd battery and go with a 160 watt panel on the roof permanently installed and a 30 amp controller permanently installed. Which is what I have.

You could get away with 120-160 watt portable suitcase that has the controller on the back, but I'd still consider a 2nd battery. Directly connect the panel to the battery/s via the clamps. Roughly 30 foot of cable. The 160 suitcase my brother is bulky and heavy, so much so he doesn't want to lug it around, something like 40 lbs. Just something to be aware of when you're shopping.

Keeping the controller close to the batteries is more efficient, which is why you may want to at least look into having a permanently mounted controller.

Thank you Padlin, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm definitely going with the second battery ASAP. But again- is there any advantage, other than charging my batteries, to invest in solar? Thanks for all the replies.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Should I be looking into solar?
If you'd like to run the generator less, yes.

If you camp near me please do. There's nothing I hate more when trying to enjoy some peace and quiet than a loud generator running for hours on end just to do what my 100 watt solar panel does silently and with no gas.

I think maybe you didn't understand what I was asking; maybe I should have been more clear. First of all, I'm well aware of campground etiquette and especially generator etiquette. What I was asking for was opinions on whether or not it was worth looking into solar power for charging as opposed to running my generator when I'm camping in dispersed areas where there is no one else around.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I have a generator for the rv but if we camped next to a cemetery we would have the dead people complaining about the noise....
I've been around some of those.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:

If you camp near me please do. There's nothing I hate more when trying to enjoy some peace and quiet than a loud generator running for hours on end just to do what my 100 watt solar panel does silently and with no gas.

MrWizard
(1) battery
fridge controls use power 24/7
lights
water pump

if you get 5 or 6 days from one battery, your doing real good, but your also killing that battery

you should not wait until the lights go out and nothing works before you recharge

you can run that generator every other day, or you can install some solar
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Let's total up, Range. Haul out generator - 45 to 50 pounds - from storage in TV, check gasoline and oil, fill if necessary, pull out electrical cable, start generator, plug in cable, run for at least one hour usually at cocktail time for me, ignore stares of neighbors who haven't gone inside their RV, unplug generator, turn off generator, let generator cool for 15 to 20 minutes and restore generator to storage location in TV.

Versus solar. Oh look it's 6:14 p.m. Been charging all day. Batteries full by noon, 1 pm. Just shut down, getting dark. No noise, no gas and oil, no trouble, no unhappy neighbors. And all cell phones, tablets and other rechargeable batteries including air pump for tires are full...recharged during the day.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a generator for the rv but if we camped next to a cemetery we would have the dead people complaining about the noise....

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Am I missing something by not considering solar power? I always have my generators, and figured if I run once a day, if necessary, to charge my batteries, that's enough. Should I be looking into solar?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you cover your RV a 50 watt solar battery maintainer should keep your batteries topped off provided you flip a disconnect switch. If you don't cover your RV I'd install a solar system of at least one solar watt per battery amp hour. Good for storage and camping.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I take it you are running the fridge on propane as opposed to 12 volts and have a single 12 volt group 24 battery. If so and you can go 5 days before the battery is dead you are using somewhere between 10 and 20 amps a day, depending on what dead means to you. About the same as me.

If it were me I'd add a 2nd battery and go with a 160 watt panel on the roof permanently installed and a 30 amp controller permanently installed. Which is what I have.

You could get away with 120-160 watt portable suitcase that has the controller on the back, but I'd still consider a 2nd battery. Directly connect the panel to the battery/s via the clamps. Roughly 30 foot of cable. The 160 suitcase my brother is bulky and heavy, so much so he doesn't want to lug it around, something like 40 lbs. Just something to be aware of when you're shopping.

Keeping the controller close to the batteries is more efficient, which is why you may want to at least look into having a permanently mounted controller.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I do not have a residential refrigerator. That being said, when I disconnect my rv from the power grid within a week or so my batteries will be dead. I am thinking of getting a solar panel with battery clips to just keep the battery charged. I found a small portable panel and the reviewers comments make me want to get one.. I just wonder what the minimum requirements are that I would need should I decide to boon dock for a while just to keep the batteries charged....No controller or inverter involved....

Bob, "If" you're "only" trying to keep the batterie(s) charged while in storage, then you really need the minimum....unless you have a "large parasitic draw ( which could be eliminated by turning the "master switch" off)! I use a small panel ( approx 8"x 9") through a charge regulator to keep the battery at full charge on my Hydraulic Dump trailer. Granted it's only one battery. But, even with multiple batteries and you have a good southern exposure for the panel.... it will not require much!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl