cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide and furnace problems

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie Rv'r. We have a 08 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite 285. We used it a yr ago and everything except outside grill worked. We tried it a week ago and the slide won't work, the furnace won't work.

So far, on the furnace. I have two full propane tanks, the water heater works, inside and outside grill works.

On the slide, I have a good battery charged to 13.5V, I have manually moved the slide out partially so its not stuck. I pulled the switch out and it has 12.5V from blk to red wires. I checked circuit breakers in front behind battery and cleaned terminals and continuity. Good, but one had seized nut and connector, so I have two new cb's coming. I tested slide by jumping and didn't move. I have checked every fuse, flipped every breaker two or three times. I think everything else in the unit works including AC. Does anyone have any ideas?
thanks
12 REPLIES 12

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome. I'll post what I find, if I find, out what's wrong with furnace. I'm going to check in vents and outlets to see if varmints are present. I'll try to find limit switches and see if I can test them.

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting back and letting us lurkers know.
Many times posters don't get back with the solutions they have found
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
I have since found the red lite is a trouble code for limit switch-air flow.

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
the heater is an Atwood. I found a switch on it that has a reset and Off position. I flipped it to reset. A fan came on for a minute then it flipped itself to off and the fan went off
Also, a red light blinks about every 10 seconds. I can't hear an igniter or anything else. I rechecked the furnace fuse, its good.

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
The slide is fixed. The two circuit breakers in the front by the battery box were replaced and the slide works now. They sit out in the elements so this could have been foreseen. I'm going to put battery corrosion protectant on them as well as the rubber cover.
Hope this helps someone else.

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
the inside kitchen burners, the water heater, the outside grill all work.
Someone had said the new propane cylinders have a leak-surge type deal that shuts off gas flow if it starts too fast, not the right description or label but kind of describes how it works. Haven't had time to get back out there today, but I pulled all the 15A fuses and visually inspected and ohm'd them.

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
49ford wrote:
I haven't found a connection to motor where I could put 12 V to it. I'll take some panels off and see if I can spot one.
ON the furnace, I've had the gas on for a day now and ran the other 3 things. I'd have thought it would have bled air out. I'll try it a couple more times. Can you "hear" the ignition snapping if its trying to light?
I also found out you have to turn the tanks on slowly, or they shut down

Does your stove work?
Having the tanks shut down like that might indicate a regulator problem, or propane leak.
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not hearing the igniter try to ignite, I would guess an electrical issue. Maybe double check all the 12 volt fuses with an ohm meter.
2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.
2008 Keystone Passport Ultra-light 290BH

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
On the furnace, I always here the igniter snapping when it first tries to light.
2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.

49ford
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't found a connection to motor where I could put 12 V to it. I'll take some panels off and see if I can spot one.
ON the furnace, I've had the gas on for a day now and ran the other 3 things. I'd have thought it would have bled air out. I'll try it a couple more times. Can you "hear" the ignition snapping if its trying to light?
I also found out you have to turn the tanks on slowly, or they shut down.

Fryer5
Explorer
Explorer
On your furnace, clean it well, and prior to lighting it ignite all burners on your stove and let it run for a minute. I have found on my keystone passport that this helps to purge in air that is in the lines prior to furnace ignition. The furnace may "time out" if it doesn't get flame ignition in a certain amount of time.
Sorry, but I have nothing to suggest on the slide out situation
2018 Nissan NVP 3500 SL.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Can you hook 12 volts direct from battery to the motor bypassing everything else?
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter