cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper weight

karl1948
Explorer
Explorer
I am desperately trying to find the weight for a 1998 Northland 950 Koala TC. Would like to put it on my 2001 Chevy 2500 HD. Any thoughts on this?
5 REPLIES 5

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
Not a 950, but here is an old thread about a Northland 990. That was allegedly only 2675 lbs.

A 98 has no slide and a wood frame.

Assuming he's got a long bed truck SRW, he should be fine. Pay attention to the tire ratings.

Posted By: sukrfish on 12/02/09 04:16pm

I haul a Northland Polar 990 on my 2004 2500HD Long Bed. 3200-3400 lbs wet for the TC.

I upgraded the suspension on it after seeing how much sway I had on the drive home from having bought the camper. Airbags, HD shocks, torklift stable loads...cha-ching.

I wasn't planning on buying a TC when I bought my truck though. I had the truck first and then decided a TC would be a good idea.

Knowing that you are going to be getting a TC now, even before owning the truck, I would go with a 1 ton. I know I would if I were in your shoes.

That extra payload might be useful if you decide to tow something like a boat or enclosed trailer.

Dan

Wood frames aren't bad, so long as they aren't rotted or waterlogged. Wood is light when dry and heavy when soaked. Same applies to the insulation....

Old unit, chances are it has issues.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Not a 950, but here is an old thread about a Northland 990. That was allegedly only 2675 lbs.

A 98 has no slide and a wood frame.

Assuming he's got a long bed truck SRW, he should be fine. Pay attention to the tire ratings.

Posted By: sukrfish on 12/02/09 04:16pm

I haul a Northland Polar 990 on my 2004 2500HD Long Bed. 3200-3400 lbs wet for the TC.

I upgraded the suspension on it after seeing how much sway I had on the drive home from having bought the camper. Airbags, HD shocks, torklift stable loads...cha-ching.

I wasn't planning on buying a TC when I bought my truck though. I had the truck first and then decided a TC would be a good idea.

Knowing that you are going to be getting a TC now, even before owning the truck, I would go with a 1 ton. I know I would if I were in your shoes.

That extra payload might be useful if you decide to tow something like a boat or enclosed trailer.

Dan
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'll put my money on it being too heavy.
bumpy

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers shy to give weight info, even they are forced to do so by law, but generally 4000 lb campers are those with 11 foot length, while from 9.5 footer you can expect closer to 2500lb.
More important COG on short camper will spread the weight on both axles, while with longer camper almost all the weight lands on rear axle, meaning no go without dually.
That if you find factory rating, take it with big grain of salt as all the reports say the weight is always underestimated.

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Probably 3500-4000 lbs

Google similar models of the same length. That model was quite common.