cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv insurance

Denali2015
Explorer
Explorer
Need help choosing between Progressive and Foremost rv insurance companies. I don't have any experience or knowledge about them. The one advantage is that I can get replacement cost with Foremost but not with Progressive because my fifthwheel is just over 2 years old. Need any advice anyone can give me...have to make the change on Monday... Stressed out....
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not have your RV added to your truck policy???

I have Farmers and my Agent checked with RV added to truck policy and with Foremost and was less with Farmers on truck policy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
partsman01 wrote:
Well here is my brothers truck and what is left of the travel trailer on the right beside the truck, had truck insured, but not trailer or contents, he lost everything that had been in trailer as when it came apart it burned up.
So I like having insurance on my stuff.

I can certainly understand carrying insurance. For many years I chose to be my own insurance provider in a way and carried insurance only where required by law. Until recently even my home was not insured. Presently I have insurance on the house and full coverage on our autos. The motorcycle has only liability and property damage, quads are not insured and RV is only covered for liability through tow vehicle while hooked up. I've probably saved enough on premiums to replace my old RV wkth a newer one should something happen to it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Progressive !
I am switching our vehicles and our home owners to them. Here is why:

Last year we bought a new travel trailer and couldn't find any one to insure it.
My brother in law suggested Progressive since he had it for his power boat and they paid on several different claims almost immediately.
Our travel trailer was just in Key Largo and Irma sent a five foot surge of sea water through it naturally totaling it.
On the way down to salvage what we could we contacted Progressive and they gave us a claim number and said an adjuster would be in contact but it might be a while due to the large amount of claims.
Two days later we got a call from their office and asked if we could meet with the adjuster on Sunday. We said yes and then we got a call from him saying he was in the area and if we were available could meet with us now. (that was Friday) He met, took one look, took pictures and totaled the trailer. He said he would write up his report and e-mail it to the office. About an hour later we got a call and said there would be a check for the full amount we paid for the trailer less our deductable waiting for us this past Moncday, (which is now in our bank).
We also have papers to fill out for damaged contents and emergencey expenses incurred.

Need I say more !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
If you add your trailer or 5th wheel to an auto policy ask them about how things like personal property, permanent attachments and liability are handled. Would you have to involve your homeowners policy? Would this mean two deductibles? Are items such as awnings subject to depreciation? Having a separate RV policy might be a better option.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Well here is my brothers truck and what is left of the travel trailer on the right beside the truck, had truck insured, but not trailer or contents, he lost everything that had been in trailer as when it came apart it burned up.
So I like having insurance on my stuff.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Using National General through Good Sam Diminishing deductible. No claims but have the option of storage which reduces cost.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Denali2015 wrote:
Need help choosing between Progressive and Foremost rv insurance companies. I don't have any experience or knowledge about them. The one advantage is that I can get replacement cost with Foremost but not with Progressive because my fifthwheel is just over 2 years old. Need any advice anyone can give me...have to make the change on Monday... Stressed out....

We had Foremost RV insurance on our Forest River 5th wheel. They are awesume. We had 2 major claims that were taken care of with no trouble. We had to have the rubber roof replaced that was torn by a tree. Then we had a water leak that damaged the floor of the pass-thru and had to be replaced. Our rv repair man took photos of the damaged and sent them in to Foremost. We didn't have to do any paperwork. The insurance co. didn't even send anyone out to inspect the damage.
ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord
May you never have a fire or a person fall and hurt themselves in your rig.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
wing_zealot wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I've never purchased rv insurance. I believe insurance on the TV is all that is essensial.
Your TV insurance may only cover you for liability (damage you cause to someone else while it is hooked up to the TV), not for any losses you caused to yourself.

Yeh its a little risky, probably not the recomended way to do things.
B&W Companion

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Progressive for years - on my boats as well as my RV. But, knock on wood, I have never had a claim.

One thing that is nice about Progressive is that they do have a disappearing deductible. It goes down every year you don't have a claim.

And yes, at least here, the TV policy will only cover liability. Without an insurance policy on the RV, you are on your own for any damage to the RV should something happen.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I've never purchased rv insurance. I believe insurance on the TV is all that is essensial.
Your TV insurance may only cover you for liability (damage you cause to someone else while it is hooked up to the TV), not for any losses you caused to yourself.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
4X4

What if a big ole tree falls on it, or or a twister takes it for a ride, or a gigantic hail storm, etc??

I have everything bundled with my parent company, USAA.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Foremost is a division of Farmers Insurance if that makes a difference. I have had them for a while on my 5er but never had a claim
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind