cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor 2017 class c water heater gas only?

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
I have a coworker that has this unit . Purchased at CW new last year . They were asking me about why the water heater wouldn't run on electricity, I said it should. They take it in and CW says it's not wired for electric although it's got an switch for electric???
I'd check for a ac breaker and check the water heater for ac wiring. But I'm not going there it just seems odd no electric REALLY? Oh one more point it's just out of warranty

Is this normal ?
15 REPLIES 15

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a dedicated circuit breaker in the power distribution panel for the water heater if it supports electric. If not, you'll have to add one. You can use standard QO series household breakers in the typical WFCO power panels.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jackfate wrote:
Thanks I don't know the model of their unit . ( neither do they ) In the years & units I've owned all were gas/electric so l took it for granted they were all g/e. Thanks for the clarification

Cheers

Did you tell your co-worker that the water heater has a 2 yr warranty from the mfg.?
2 yrs from date of purchase of the RV.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
My first one was like that also. Today....we're spoiled. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 6 RVs with gas only water heaters One of them, you had to go outside, turn on the pilot, and use a lighter, to ignite the gas.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2017 Winnebago Spirit Class C also has a gas only water heater. No electric. It's an entry level motorhome, so I was in no way surprised or disappointed. We find it to have a pretty quick recovery time. No big deal. It works fine for us.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know the specifics on this particular unit....but it's "not" uncommon for the manufacturers to cut every cost where possible! It makes it all the more important for the buyer to educate themselves prior to purchase!

As I have stated before... "If Japan were to get into RV manufacturing, they would do what they did to the American automobile industry... force them to build a better product"! Of course...we'd have a lot less American made units to choose from!!!!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Odd then the 4 TT 's I've had were gas & electric. Learn something new everyday!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about Class C campers, but most TT campers I've seen have been gas only water heaters.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
"most" of my water heaters have been gas only. I added a Hot rod, I think that is the name of it.
bumpy

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I don't know the model of their unit . ( neither do they ) In the years & units I've owned all were gas/electric so l took it for granted they were all g/e. Thanks for the clarification

Cheers

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our co-hosts purchased a new trailer 2 years ago - water heater was gas only - no electric. Probably cheaper than putting one in that will operator from both electric or lp.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I just went on to Thor's website. The Chateau and Four Winds indicate a DSI/electric as standard. the Quantum indicates a tank-less water heater.
Type of water heater is listed under Features.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF an Atwood WH (and it appears some of the THOR CLass C's use Atwood-----course THOR has SEVERAL Class C's) it will have a DUAL on/off panel....one switch for electric and one switch for gas with Fault light between them
Only other way to tell is look on backside of water heater tank near bottom...protective cover over electric element. No cover...no electric

If Suburban (THOR may/may not use??)
There will ne an ON/OFF switch in outside compartment lower left for electric (may be one inside if RV Mfg installed one) and there will be a cover over element behind/below gas valve.

Otherwise it could very well be a GAS Only 6 gallon water heater with DSI (Electronic ignition) which is common install.

IF they look inside outside compartment and see Model Number
Atwood...gas/electric will be a GC6A-10E (gas only G6a-10E)
Suburban..gas/electric will be a SW6-DE (gas only SW6-D)

Warranty
Atwood....2 years from DATE of PURCHASE
Suburban..2 years from DATE of PURCHASE

THOR.....??????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
That switch is most likely for the 12 volt igniter for the gas powered heater.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect