cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emptying tanks ?

Scanmom
Explorer
Explorer
If we are dry camping, or staying overnight at a WalMart/rest stop etc, and our grey or black tanks get full, is there anywhere to empty them other than a full hookup RV park? I don't want to have to pay for an overnight stay somewhere just to dump our tanks. I don't mind paying a fee, but it's bound to be cheaper to pay for dumping only than for an overnight stay. We just bought our 1st RV about 3 weeks ago, and we're still figuring out how things are done! Thanks for any advice!
22 REPLIES 22

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:

Local septic service cannot suck it out of the tank, you have to use gravity to empty it. Or it will collapse the tank if they suck like they do for a septic tank.

Local septic may not, but I have been in two CG that had pump out service when you stayed. They pumped out my boats tank at the fuel dock. Not sure what the difference is but they can pump out.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Illinois rest areas used to have dump stations available but due abuse they closed them permanently ie oil garbage etc dumped in them. I camp mostly at state parks and non camping pay a small fee for dumping. And Pilot gas/truck stops offer RV dumping and fresh water for small fee.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of State Roadside Rest Areas have free dump stations.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Another idea:
Cousin Eddie method

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
And some states have dump stations at rest areas for public use. Finding these locations is the trick.

Alas, any service like this that provided to the public for free usually is short lived......because the morons ruin it for the rest of us......and it ends up closed soon after opened.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
There may be some exceptions but all the commercial RV parks, State and Federal campgrounds that have a dump station, will allow you to dump for a fee. Most of the rest area free dump stations in NM are "Closed for Maintenance" and have been for years.

You can call your local sewer plant and ask them where to dump and there is always the local septic service that will empty your tank for a fee also.

Local septic service cannot suck it out of the tank, you have to use gravity to empty it. Or it will collapse the tank if they suck like they do for a septic tank.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
At least some Iowa rest stops have dump facilities and rinse water.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Most rv campgrounds will let you dump your tanks and fill the freshwater tank for $15 or so. In Idaho, some of the ranger stations have dump stations and potable water fills for $10. Only once have I been told I could not dump my tanks if I was not paying for a campsite. An hour down the road, I found a truck stop that had a dump station.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I think most KOA's offer dump only for $10, though I have never used their dump only service. Generally I use sanidumps to locate dump stations if needed, though I rarely even need that.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Rest areas along interstate highways often have them. Cabela’s Sporting Goods have dump stations usually $5 charge unless you buy something, then free.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
SaniDumps is another good website source
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas state parks are free with a park pass. Of course the pass costs about $75/yr
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Another post for RV dump sites by state.

http://www.rvdumps.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a member of Good Sam, a lot of Camping World have dump stations
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game