cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crazy idea- add 1/2 bath to garage area?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so here's my wild idea for the moment. Let's say there's a Toy Hauler that I like but it doesn't have a 1/2 bath. (And a 1/2 bath is on our absolute "must have" list for us.)

How crazy is it to build a 1/2 bath in the garage?

And assume that I don't mind losing garage space to it.

The idea:
Here's my wild-idea... put the black tank on the floor and then build the bathroom on top of it. There would be a step up into the bathroom. The toilet on one side and then the sink on the other. Like my current 1/2 bath, the tank would be vented with an air admittance valve under the sink and the sink itself would be have a real p-trap. Looking at random black tank offerings, you could get a 15-20 gallon tank in a variety of sizes and depths.

Dumping it:
So then the next thing is- you'd need a way to dump it. You should be able to plumb in a end of line termination valve directly close to the tank or with maybe a short stub of a 3" pipe.

If the tank is set back from the wall- you could put in a long shallow hatch (like this? might be a little long for what is needed). The trick there is watching where studs are in the wall and making sure there's an un-interrupted span for the hatch.

You could even add a black tank flush right there.

Supplying water:
I guess that's the trickiest part. You'd have to run all new PEX lines. I assue you would just T-off near an existing fixture.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
31 REPLIES 31

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
racebug1098 wrote:
Have you looked at the Fuzion 417?

Just traded our 385 for the 417. Bringing it home on the 7th.
15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

racebug1098
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 417 and the stools are very stout. The table would rip out of the floor long before the stool would break off or bend.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
The camper replacement search is in full swing. With requirements of:
- must have 1 1/2 baths
- must have or be able to add a dining table
- must have a garage or bunkhouse for the kids
- must have 3,000+ lbs of cargo carrying capacity (I'd prefer my unit to have a yellow sticker carrying capacity of 3,500+ lbs.)
- prefer to be fulltime rated

I've started a spreadsheet because I'm a geek and it's what I do!

Spreadsheet of RVs
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
racebug1098 wrote:

Funny, my wife was checking it out the other night. Honestly, being a big guy- I worry about the durability of the swing out stools and using it daily (some combination of us eats 1-3 meals a day at it most days).

racebug1098
Explorer
Explorer

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
If I was spending that kind of money I would be picky too. It sounds like you know what you want so keep shopping or maybe the manufacturer will come across with a 1/2 bath with the floor plan you like...

I'm not picky I'm just cheap!

I wish I were more cheap than picky- but we tend to let our wants dictate our budget and make it work.

What I'd really love is a non-toy hauler mid-bunk plan that also has a 1/2 bath. But no one makes one. To get it, you'd have to add an extra couple of feet and you'd be bumping up into the 44' range.

One of these days, I'm going to just sit down and sketch something out to see if what I'm envisioning is even feasible.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was spending that kind of money I would be picky too. It sounds like you know what you want so keep shopping or maybe the manufacturer will come across with a 1/2 bath with the floor plan you like...

I'm not picky I'm just cheap!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Sprinks542 wrote:
My wife and I like a floor plan and actually looked at the TH. Im opposite of you, would like to remove the 1/2 bath taking up space in the garage.

Yeah, itโ€™s really interesting what is important to each family and how that changes over time.

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I like a floor plan and actually looked at the TH. Im opposite of you, would like to remove the 1/2 bath taking up space in the garage.
15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
Check out the Grand Design Momentum 395m.
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans/395m

Iโ€™ve actually toured that one a few times. I like the layout but the โ€œLโ€ piece of sofa has to be stowed and moved every time you bring slides in. Otherwise it runs into the dinette and/or love seat. We move about every 8 days on average and that would get old quick.

The master bedroom- the head of the bed has a 6-8โ€ โ€œshelfโ€/lip right about shoulder level. I donโ€™t know how you would sit up comfortably in bed and watch TV or read or anything.

And lastly, on that one- the forward hatch/basement storage is anemically small. Like I donโ€™t think my zero gravity chairs would fit into it.

Iโ€™ve looked at their plans and either the 399 or 397 (I forget) are interesting to us. But with those, Iโ€™m concerned with something... we walked through one at a campground (made friends with a neighbor).

I donโ€™t know. As I mentioned- we are super picky and have a list of must have and can not haves.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Grand Design Momentum 395m.
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans/395m
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
I see that they make a DRV LX455 with a half bath off the cargo area...

DRV is a very nice rig I might add!

http://www.drvsuites.com/full-house-luxury-fifth-wheel-toy-haulers/floor-plans.html

Thatโ€™s nice but it is lacking a dining table- we eat dinner every night at it. And, I donโ€™t like that there isnโ€™t any seating that faces each other at all for hanging out; itโ€™s what we have now (Sabre 36QBOK). I like the L-shape couch of the 450.

We are picky. ๐Ÿ™‚

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
May think about a cassette toilet to eliminate the black tank.
It's easy getting rid of Grey water.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We converted the 1/2 bath in our toy hauler to a cat potty, play room and feeding station.