cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stabil

ggrotz
Explorer
Explorer
does putting stabil in the gas tank resolve the problem with the bad gas and return the power that it had before? thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
During winter (when I'm not snowbirding,) I fill up my 75 gallon gas tank and dump an entire bottle of Sta-bil in it.

Unless that is one of their "king sized" bottles, it may not be enough.

I think their recommended dose comes out to 30 ounces for 75 gallons.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
During winter (when I'm not snowbirding,) I fill up my 75 gallon gas tank and dump an entire bottle of Sta-bil in it. Then I run both the engine and generator for maybe 10 minits to make sure the Sta-bil is "in the system".

During this (storage) time I go to the motorhome every two weeks and start it up (the generator also) and let them run for 1/2 hour or so.

Keeps the batteries charged, etc., etc....y'never know when you might need it.

What I do...FWIW.

X2. Exactly what I do. WFM.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
During winter (when I'm not snowbirding,) I fill up my 75 gallon gas tank and dump an entire bottle of Sta-bil in it. Then I run both the engine and generator for maybe 10 minits to make sure the Sta-bil is "in the system".

During this (storage) time I go to the motorhome every two weeks and start it up (the generator also) and let them run for 1/2 hour or so.

Keeps the batteries charged, etc., etc....y'never know when you might need it.

What I do...FWIW.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Tried one bottle and it did nothing that I could discern for my small engines (except cost a lot).

No surprise there.
Fuel stabilizers are not SUPPOSED to do anything "discernable".
What did you expect ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The local TSC was pushing some stuff in a blue tinted bottle..'Startron' I think it was called. Tried one bottle and it did nothing that I could discern for my small engines (except cost a lot).

I still use good old Marvel Mystery Oil, but not in an engine. I use it in my in-liner oilers on my air tools. Smells nice too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
C20 wrote:
Use sea foam. It will last much longer than stabil.

Really ??
I'd like to see a reference for that claim.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Now if we didn't have corn alcohol in gasoline there would be no problems....

Actually, the "rotten" gasoline was a problem long before "gasohol".

But...but....but....he can't be wrong. He heard it on the Internet.
:R
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using "PRI " in everything an doing good. A friend who works for a marina told me about it as they tried different additives and kept having corrosion problems in marine motors, until they started using it.I have found it on the internet, and it doesn't take much per gallon.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
C20 wrote:
Use sea foam. It will last much longer than stabil. Also as others have said use gas with no ethonal in it. It will last longer to begin with. But eventually all gas will go bad if it sits for years.

Not sure about that. Sea Foam is good for removing carbon deposits in combustion chambers and intake valves in GDI engines. Not sure about fuel stabilization however.

I'll stick with Marine (blue) Stabil. I've had excellent results with it.
2015 Backpack SS1500

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Use sea foam. It will last much longer than stabil. Also as others have said use gas with no ethonal in it. It will last longer to begin with. But eventually all gas will go bad if it sits for years.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the blue stuff every tankful in anything that sits. Not cheap but works well. Prevents phase separation.

Bio'Kleen in diesel and Stanadyne fuel additive too.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ggrotz wrote:
does putting stabil in the gas tank resolve the problem with the bad gas and return the power that it had before? thank you.

NO.
Stabilizer and fuel system cleaner are not the same thing.

If you are fairly sure that you have bad gas, it should be removed.

If you think you need a fuel system cleaner, Berrymans B12 Chemtool, Gumout and Techron (for injected systems) are good.

If you are just taking a wild guess as to what the problem is......a multi-purpose fuel system cleaner might help you figure it out.

There are (a lot of) other things that will cause an engine to run poorly.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

path1
Explorer
Explorer
ggrotz wrote:

No...it preserves for about 2 years what ever gas is in. Not going to restore.

Real test for me was 2 year old gas in lawn mower and with stable. Doesn't take much bad gas in single cylinder to tell difference.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Use the blue marine grade stabil. It's a concentrate and lends itself well for the big RV tanks
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.