cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I have done?

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving my class A motor home on an interstate in Michigan, towing a Jeep, 4 wheels down. I was behind and tractor trailer with the cruise control set a 60 mph. The truck ahead of me made a quick move into the passing lane. It was then I saw a state trooper, pulled over on the shoulder. I looked in my side mirror and there was a car right next to me in the passing lane and 3 other cars behind him, all moving faster than me. By this time I was even with the trooper, so stopping was not an option. I had moved over as far as I could, the driver side wheels were at least on the white line if not over the line. The trooper pulled me over and gave me a ticket for not moving to the passing lane. When I asked him what I should have done considering the traffic conditions, all he would say was that I was lucky he didn't arrest me. I am well aware of the dangers emergency people endure on the side of the road and if there was anyway to move I would have. I have not had a ticket in 35 years. What should I have done differently. If I had moved over to the other lane there was a very good chance I would have caused an accident and would have been charged with improper lane change.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
114 REPLIES 114

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, depending on traffic and locale (rural vs suburban), and knowing that the rest of the traffic is sooo forgiving. I've slid over into the other lane partially and been on the binders. Sorry you got the ticket, at best, go argue it in court. You tried with the cards you were dealt. Thankfully you were able to get over as far as you did.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Bumpy "noticeably and reasonably hitting the brakes so the officer can tell you tried". That is the law in FL. If you cannot make that change in lane or speed, in the amount of time available, you were "going to fast for conditions", irregardless of, if one of the conditions was following too closely. You should be in control of your vehicle.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpy You are giving the cop way too much common sense. I have seen it many times, cars are moving at reasonable speed, Motorhome or truck in middle lane, car or cars to their left and moving along at same speed so the left lane is not going to be available to move to with the MH or truck due to those vehicles to your left, cop on side of road with or without another vehicle and they chase after the MH/truck for not moving over. HOW about the cop going to the RIGHT side of the car they pulled over and have the person get out when safe and do their business on right side of car IF there is traffic preventing people from moving over. It is about safety or it should be, NOT giving out tickets.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
. BUT there are times with a big truck or motorhome there is someone on your left side and you cannot move over, you could slow way down and cause an accident but that is not a solution.

define "slow way down". coming to a stop, slamming on the brakes, or noticeably and reasonably hitting the brakes so the officer can tell you tried.
bumpy

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Let me guess, you were out of State. I know some States have a practice of ticketing out of State RVs/Cars etc so they person just pays and moves on. IT is a scam. I do believe that it is IMPORTANT to move over when a car is on side of the road whether there is a police officer or tow truck there or not. BUT there are times with a big truck or motorhome there is someone on your left side and you cannot move over, you could slow way down and cause an accident but that is not a solution.
S and S Co-Travelers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
The trooper was a jerk, sometimes you cannot move over without causing a bad accident and he/she should have known by looking what as at your side or just in front of you as you passed by. .

that is exactly why there is the option to slow down, not speed thru on cruise control.
bumpy

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
The trooper was a jerk, sometimes you cannot move over without causing a bad accident and he/she should have known by looking what as at your side or just in front of you as you passed by. Some cops are just power hungry etc. IT really is an unsafe job when standing on side of road but when you cannot do something you cannot do it.
S and S Co-Travelers

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
damntough wrote:
bobkatmsu wrote:
Update:I had contacted an attorney I know in the area within a half hour of receiving the ticket. I faxed him a copy of the ticket as well as my side of the story. He called me this morning and said he had talked to the prosecutor and he was willing to drop the points on my driving record if I paid the $215 fine. I am just waiting for the paperwork now.
Bottom line in going over the scenario over and over in my head, I still think I did everything possible to avoid the trooper. I will however, take the suggestion many of you made and give myself more space when following a semi. I'm retired now and not in a hurry to go any where. If people cut in front of me, and I'm sure they will, so be it.
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. Hopefully this discussion helped more than just me.

Good post

X2
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobkatmsu wrote:
Update:I had contacted an attorney I know in the area within a half hour of receiving the ticket. I faxed him a copy of the ticket as well as my side of the story. He called me this morning and said he had talked to the prosecutor and he was willing to drop the points on my driving record if I paid the $215 fine. I am just waiting for the paperwork now.
Bottom line in going over the scenario over and over in my head, I still think I did everything possible to avoid the trooper. I will however, take the suggestion many of you made and give myself more space when following a semi. I'm retired now and not in a hurry to go any where. If people cut in front of me, and I'm sure they will, so be it.
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. Hopefully this discussion helped more than just me.

Probably the best possible outcome...they get their protection money, you get no insurance increase.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tinstar wrote:
soren wrote:
Watched the exact same thing happen to a buddy of mine, while I followed his motorhome, as we were within sight of the border, exiting Wyoming. He was totally trapped, unable to move left, as there was three or four vehicles on his left side at the moment. I was clear, and got into the passing lane. The cop chased him down, and behaved like a total Aze-hole, since he needed to strut and prove that he was the man with the gun and badge. Once he calmed down enough, and my buddy continually and politely told him that it was physically impossible to get any further away, as he passed, the idiot wrote a warning. Sadly, sometimes you are just at the wrong place at the wrong time, and face the wrath of another sad example of an officer in this country. I can't count how many of these idiots end up with a car stopped, on the white line, with their patrol car parked tight behind the "suspect" on the line, lights flashing, and their butt 3' into the travel lane, as they lean in the window of the car. Total morons! Get the car you are stopping as far off the road as possible, place your patrol car as a crash barrier, and angle it to deflect a strike. If you have a bit of a clue, and training, a motorhome passing by, in the travel lanes, should have ZERO impact on your personal safety. Unfortunately, too many of these chucklenuts have zero concern for safety, and are only interested in putting on a show.

Sounds like someone got their butt spanked by an officer at some point in time. You should be teaching these officers since they have no idea what they're doing.

Plenty don't, actually. Standing on the white line, totally invisible to traffic at night because they have all sixty-three rear-facing LED strobes on their cruiser going on full brightness (incidentally, totally ruining the night vision of everyone driving past them) and they are wearing a dark blue uniform shirt, black pants, and no safety vest, totally blind to oncoming traffic because they also have their hi-beams, twenty front-facing strobes, and their spotlights (I have seen as many as six) also on. I have seen many that don't even take the basic precaution of stopping their cruiser far enough behind the car pulled over that it won't be pushed into it if hit, and turning the steering so an impact will push it AWAY from them. I did all this (as well as wearing hi-visibility safety gear), and I had a six-ton tow truck between me and traffic!
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobkatmsu wrote:
Also, I called the courthouse to see when a hearing would be, I was told 3 weeks. I am out of state and cannot wait around that long. I do not know if this played into the troopers decision making.

Probably...I expect he saw your Florida tags and figured he would raise some money.
Current rig:

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
1968mooney wrote:
soren, why don't you really tell us how you feel about Law Enforcement Officers? You must have applied for a position with one of the Police and got turned down. :h

Yea, that's exactly what happened. You got me. I actually wanted to be a mall cop, but got tripped up on the psychological test.

At least you are man enough to admit it. :B

damntough
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:

Good post

damntough
Explorer
Explorer
Good discussion.